Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Attending the Spurs-Raps game

From my friend Malin:

so i just came back from the spurs game, had pretty sweeeeet seats so i thought i'd share the experience. First time i really watched a game with a critical eye to see what the difference is between the raps and spurs. here's some thoughts on both that and just individual players as you watch close up:

1) Blair is a wide wide boy. sets great picks and uses his width to more than make up for his lack of height by clearing space on his little floaters and boxing out

2) noticeable difference between pop and triano. Triano argues every call like he know it's his last. I've seen almost every spur game and they tend to show pop yelling a lot, but in reality he's yelling at his players a lot! he barely talks to the ref or gives them a hard time until he really believes something was missed. Picks his battles for sure.

3) You know how coaches meet in their little huddle before they address the players. Duncan joins the huddle every now and then. amazing to see

4) To build on pops yelling at players. pop yells at all his players. The players he yells at the most, ironically two starters, manu and blair

5) Spurs have so much respect for each other they can say whatever they want to each other without worrying about feelings. Saw duncan "yell" for lack of a better word at parker and ginobili. They both seem to acknowledge, respond and play accordingly. Nice to see that nobody is an exception.

6) It's not enough to try hard, you have to play smart. mid way, 2nd quarter. Ginobili tries to swipe the ball from weems as duncan is closing in to force a miss. Ginobili gets called for a foul. Duncan turns to him and I can read his lips, "What the hell are you doing, I had it."

7) Best thing to see, duncan's transition to being an old player is amazing. complete focus on defence, boxing out and blocking shots. And he hasn't simply accepted that he can't improve. Has made amazing strides on his interior passing

8) As you can see, not a lot of positives for the raps yet. I will say this, Bayless's "swagger" rivals eddie house for the best swagger without having done much. If his talent catches up to the swagger, he does have that "star" factor in him. Very interesting to see how he develops.

9) Deroazen doesn't have that swagger but he is showing frustration which is nice to see that he's not complacent with all the losses

10) Barbosa is probably one at the deadline. He's probably out most valuable trade piece to a contender because he can be a great 6-7 man on the right team. That's with a contender but my favourite deal would be to somehow rope in and take a gamble on Mayo.

11) Bargnani is gone. No way in hell he plays his contract out with us. Too many fans have turned on him. Reminds me a lot of the Pau Gasol thing when the GM basically said he had no choice but to trade him because fans started to not like the TEAM because he's on it. Honestly sitting in the crowd, I would imagine he gets heckled more here than on the road

Also, hill has crazy crazy long arms. steals just fall into his hands. once he bulks up a bit he's going to be quite the defensive guard .
    http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

DarkKnight wrote: View Post
    From my friend Malin:

so i just came back from the spurs game, had pretty sweeeeet seats so i thought i'd share the experience. First time i really watched a game with a critical eye to see what the difference is between the raps and spurs. here's some thoughts on both that and just individual players as you watch close up:

1) Blair is a wide wide boy. sets great picks and uses his width to more than make up for his lack of height by clearing space on his little floaters and boxing out

2) noticeable difference between pop and triano. Triano argues every call like he know it's his last. I've seen almost every spur game and they tend to show pop yelling a lot, but in reality he's yelling at his players a lot! he barely talks to the ref or gives them a hard time until he really believes something was missed. Picks his battles for sure.

3) You know how coaches meet in their little huddle before they address the players. Duncan joins the huddle every now and then. amazing to see

4) To build on pops yelling at players. pop yells at all his players. The players he yells at the most, ironically two starters, manu and blair

5) Spurs have so much respect for each other they can say whatever they want to each other without worrying about feelings. Saw duncan "yell" for lack of a better word at parker and ginobili. They both seem to acknowledge, respond and play accordingly. Nice to see that nobody is an exception.

6) It's not enough to try hard, you have to play smart. mid way, 2nd quarter. Ginobili tries to swipe the ball from weems as duncan is closing in to force a miss. Ginobili gets called for a foul. Duncan turns to him and I can read his lips, "What the hell are you doing, I had it."

7) Best thing to see, duncan's transition to being an old player is amazing. complete focus on defence, boxing out and blocking shots. And he hasn't simply accepted that he can't improve. Has made amazing strides on his interior passing

8) As you can see, not a lot of positives for the raps yet. I will say this, Bayless's "swagger" rivals eddie house for the best swagger without having done much. If his talent catches up to the swagger, he does have that "star" factor in him. Very interesting to see how he develops.

9) Deroazen doesn't have that swagger but he is showing frustration which is nice to see that he's not complacent with all the losses

10) Barbosa is probably one at the deadline. He's probably out most valuable trade piece to a contender because he can be a great 6-7 man on the right team. That's with a contender but my favourite deal would be to somehow rope in and take a gamble on Mayo.

11) Bargnani is gone. No way in hell he plays his contract out with us. Too many fans have turned on him. Reminds me a lot of the Pau Gasol thing when the GM basically said he had no choice but to trade him because fans started to not like the TEAM because he's on it. Honestly sitting in the crowd, I would imagine he gets heckled more here than on the road

Also, hill has crazy crazy long arms. steals just fall into his hands. once he bulks up a bit he's going to be quite the defensive guard .

In the bolded parts, I don't see how you get those ideas from watching the one game, with a critical eye. Just seems like an opinion/assumption. Especially the Bargs notion, that he'll be gone. (just seems like you're saying it's soon) Not tryna' cause a huge debate or negative thread, just tyrna' make sense of the connection to the title of the thread. Thanks.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

I agree with all the pointers you touched on! One of the key things that I think is missing on the Raptors team is the accountability factor. I think the entire team needs to start yelling at each other instead of patting each other's asses for effort.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

accountability for sure

JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
          I agree with all the pointers you touched on! One of the key things that I think is missing on the Raptors team is the accountability factor. I think the entire team needs to start yelling at each other instead of patting each other's asses for effort.
          Speaking of accountability, I just read this. The top team in the league and they're benching a consistent starter. That's what I'm talking about.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
            +1 on the accountability factor but as long as we have the golden and untouchable child in Bargs, accountabilty will be rare along this path. just saying.

Comment

Working...
            X