Raptors Looking To Deal Draft Picks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Looking To Deal Draft Picks?

Although we are over four months away from the 2011 NBA Draft there is a growing concern around the league about the overall strength and depth of the class. Even in the best case scenario, with the majority of the top underclassmen like Perry Jones III of Baylor and Duke's Kyrie Irving declaring, there's still few expecting the 2011 draft to provide a major impact.

According to sources, those projections have several teams ready to move their picks in trades rather than using them to bring in first-year talent. The Toronto Raptors, Portland Trail Blazers, Phoenix Suns, Minnesota Timberwolves and New Jersey Nets all have multiple first round picks that they could move. The Raptors, Timberwolves and Nets in particular wouldn't mind letting go of one of their selections due to already having a surplus of young players.
    Source: Hoops World
    Yes - Weak draft
    5.88%
    Yes - Trade the Raptors' pick but keep the Heat's pick
    0.00%
    Yes - Trade the Heat's pick but keep the Raptors' pick
    26.47%
    No - Stockpile young talent
    67.65%

Matt52 and I were actually talking about this, where it might perhaps be nice to ADD a pick in a sellers market. I don't think this will be a weak draft, and I've yet to really hear it declared 'weak'. That Iam Thompson article I posted a while back gave a nice summary I think, and I agree that some solid senior's will be coming out this year and could fetch a couple very solid role players in the latter half of the first round.

But I was also wondering when the Raptors do reach that point of being too young and needing the Del Curry's and Charles Oakley's to balance out the maturity level on the floor. I'm sure BC has been shopping the Miami pick, but I can't see him moving our unless we get a killer deal. But he has surprised me before in the past, so who knows. haha

ADD: Can we get another option on that Poll? Our pick, and Miami's. I'm in favour of moving Miami's in a package.

Comment

As you requested, the poll has been modified.

Comment

Much appreciated, sir.
        Happy Monday, e'rbody!

Comment

Personally I hope we keep both pick. I'd only trade the Heat pick to move up in the draft.

Comment

I'd be all for moving the picks for young players - This draft class lacks any star power up front or any real explosive players. However, I wouldn't move those picks until after the combines. You can only have so many young players.

Comment

My only thing with moving the picks is that if the report is true, then there are a bunch of teams looking to move draft picks because the draft is perceived as weak. If the potential supply is high and the product is advertised as "weak" then what's the market worth? Beyond that, if we look at history, Colangelo has a far superior track record when using draft picks as opposed to trading them away.

Comment

It's not like the Raps don't have spots they need to fill at almost every position.

If anything, I see this as an opportunity to grab more picks for pennies on the dollar. While there may not be "franchise' guys in the draft (though that still remains to be seen), there are a number of players who no doubt will be solid additions to a young core.

If it takes a franchise player to win it all, then patience, not hastiness, is the key. Better to build a team who's only real lack is that one major cog, than it is to go all out for that cog, only to be left with garbage around him...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Beyond that, if we look at history, Colangelo has a far superior track record when using draft picks as opposed to trading them away.
                  Hah, Great point.

Comment

Man, is it ever too bad that Memphis' pick this year is owned by the Timberwolves. The following trade for Memphis' pick would be awesome:

To Memphis:
                    Barbosa

To Boston:
                    Mayo

To TO;
                    Avery Bradley
                    Marquis Daniels (expiring)
                    Thabeet (expiring next year)
                    Memphis' pick
                    Boston's pick.
                    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:04 AM. Reason: Added Bostons Pick. Because Boston would do it.

Comment

We can always draft players, and if they do not work out trade them at a later date. There are still some good seniors in the draft, such as Nolan Smith, Jimmer Fredette, and Kyle Singler who all could be good role players on a team.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                        Man, is it ever too bad that Memphis' pick this year is owned by the Timberwolves. The following trade for Memphis' pick would be awesome:

To Memphis:
                        Barbosa

To Boston:
                        Mayo

To TO;
                        Avery Bradley
                        Marquis Daniels (expiring)
                        Thabeet (expiring next year)
                        Memphis' pick
                        Boston's pick.
                        Boston would do it. Memphis wouldn't.

Comment

Maybe we could get Memphis' pick next year instead?

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                            Maybe we could get Memphis' pick next year instead?
                            Nope team cannot go two years without a 1st round pick. Would have to be 2013.

I was saying in another thread that it would be nice to pick up another mid draft pick. For me though ideal would be the trade mentioned (in the trade forums) for biedrins and curry (shipping out caldy and bargs) and then drafting say a Terrence jones. We would have a biedrins, Davis, (Terrence Jones), Derozan, Curry lineup with Amir, Bayless bench with energy Dorsey and Wright for situational. Continue to develop and build role players and I would be happy watching that team.

Comment

A good number of analysts and scouts are saying that this is a poor draft to get a superstar player in...but the draft is not useless because of that. There are still some great players available, just no transcendent player types apparently. This still means that we can fill some areas of weakness. If there are so many teams that are looking to deal some high picks, what would it take to acquire them? I would trade anyone but DeMar, Ed, and Amir...and possibly Bayless, I'm just not completely sold on him.

I would absolutely love the Raptors to acquire more picks for both 2011 and 2012.

If the problem ever becomes that we have too much youth and that leads to immaturity, then we can easily turn some young talent into a good veteran to add some stability.
                              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Working...
                              X