Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Rumors/News: Barbosa And Evans On The Block? (see post #257)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trade Deadline Rumors/News: Barbosa And Evans On The Block? (see post #257)

    "Toronto has a fat payroll and a roster that has not generated much interest. Rival executives believe the best the Raptors will be able to get for Evans, Calderon or Barbosa are protected draft picks. If that."

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1EFlJ4xow

    Ouch.

  • #2
    The bigger ouch is the $67mm payroll.

    When you break it down it makes sense: Barbosa is a limited guy playing with injuries, Evans is a 4th or 5th big, Calderon has a big price tag attached, seemingly every team has expirings or trade exceptions. The only assets of any real value would be Derozan and Bargs and neither guy is going anywhere. The Raps also have no capspace to get creative and the pending lockout is making teams reluctant to take on salary, so, the options would seem to be limited. If so, I'd rather they just let Evans and others expire and see what the new CBA brings rather than trade guys for a bag of balls.

    Comment


    • #3
      slaw wrote: View Post
      trade guys for a bag of balls.
      it'd be like the VC trade all over again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yep the only playoff team where Calderon would be an upgrade is arguably the Hawks. And they would prob try to unload Marvin which come to think of it would be a huge upgrade over Weems. Other teams might be interested in Evans that need bigs (maybe Hornets or Blazers) and Barbosa is a big risk with his player option and injuries. Plus he's a freakin black hole.

        I don't foresee a lot going on here in the next week.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

        Comment


        • #5
          slaw wrote: View Post
          The bigger ouch is the $67mm payroll.
          Payroll next season will be around $40M. If the cap were to drop to $50M and you add in the two 1st round rookie deals they'll still have enough to sign an impact guy or hang on to Reggie and Wright. Jose and Andrea are eating up almost $20M/yr going forward.

          The writer forgot to mention a key tidbit. What about the TPE???

          Comment


          • #6
            The people who thought Evans (or Peja) had any trade value simply didn't understand the current economics of the league. Expiring contracts are worth almost nothing this year because the majority of the teams will have a payroll of less than $50 million this summer. Barbosa being held together by tape and chewing gum pretty much kills his trade value. And while Calderon is the best player of the three, his large contract is a no-go going into such an uncertain future.

            It's too bad Barbosa isn't healthy, because he would have been a great trade chip.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

            Comment


            • #7
              [QUOTE=Tim W.;66011]Barbosa being held together by tape and chewing gum pretty much kills his trade value.
              QUOTE]

              Ok that was funny man. Love Barbo, but that is jokes.

              Comment


              • #8
                If these players were worth anything they'd be producing wins on the court. So trading them for draft picks is fine, because any group of players, however bad, can go out there and lose 55 games. I say trade them all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Payroll next season will be around $40M. If the cap were to drop to $50M and you add in the two 1st round rookie deals they'll still have enough to sign an impact guy or hang on to Reggie and Wright. Jose and Andrea are eating up almost $20M/yr going forward.

                  The writer forgot to mention a key tidbit. What about the TPE???
                  yeah, i was wondering about that myself...if you just take actual salary figures of players currently on the roster, the number is in the low 50's, so i assume that the TPE is considered part of their payroll for cap purposes (since if used, they'd be adding whatever salary to their existing payroll/cap belonged to the returning player(s)). OR, peja's contract is still counting against the overall figure. i'm really not sure how the machinations work to that level of detail.

                  either way, declaring their current payroll as almost $68M is a bit misleading - the players who are actually currently on the roster are, as i said, totalling a little over $50M...it's not as though they're pressing up against the lux tax in *real* dollars and have 15 W's to show for it...
                  TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Employee wrote: View Post
                    Plus he's a freakin black hole.

                    .
                    ..but if you can beat ANYbody to the rim, why pass the ball?

                    Just sayin', who wouldn't do that if they could.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      jamesk wrote: View Post
                      ..but if you can beat ANYbody to the rim, why pass the ball?

                      Just sayin', who wouldn't do that if they could.
                      Fully agree. I've really tried to figure out HOW he does it though. Like it's amazing, he almost goes under guys. hahah
                      And thats also part of my defense for Bayless. Most times he IS capable of beating his man and scoring massive points on them.. we should encourage that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                        yeah, i was wondering about that myself...if you just take actual salary figures of players currently on the roster, the number is in the low 50's, so i assume that the TPE is considered part of their payroll for cap purposes (since if used, they'd be adding whatever salary to their existing payroll/cap belonged to the returning player(s)). OR, peja's contract is still counting against the overall figure. i'm really not sure how the machinations work to that level of detail.

                        either way, declaring their current payroll as almost $68M is a bit misleading - the players who are actually currently on the roster are, as i said, totalling a little over $50M...it's not as though they're pressing up against the lux tax in *real* dollars and have 15 W's to show for it...
                        The TPE doesn't count against the cap until used. Right now it is like a draft pick - an asset with no value until used.

                        The thing to keep in mind about Peja going against the cap is before him they were at approx. $63M, now $67M. If they didn't pay him/buy him out by trading for him, they'd be paying Jack, Banks, and Andersen and they would still be on the hook for JJ next season taking the payroll from $48M to $44M.

                        If Barbo opts out or is traded we are down to around $36M or if Calderon is traded it would be $34M - and if both went $28M.

                        Personally, while both are good vets, I'd like to see one go for future flexibility.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          The TPE doesn't count against the cap until used. Right now it is like a draft pick - an asset with no value until used.
                          Interesting analogy. Nice way to put it.
                          Also I think people need to remember is that the TPE expires a year after the deal was done. And unless the other team is planning to flip quickly and use it for whats its meant, they must be willing to do a some-for-none type deal, and just let it expire. With the CBA there might be some interest in the latter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Payroll next season will be around $40M. If the cap were to drop to $50M and you add in the two 1st round rookie deals they'll still have enough to sign an impact guy or hang on to Reggie and Wright. Jose and Andrea are eating up almost $20M/yr going forward.

                            The writer forgot to mention a key tidbit. What about the TPE???
                            My point was only that MLSE is spending $67mm to get 19(?) wins. That's gotta smart.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Raptors May Not Use Bosh Trade Exception

                              http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...rade_Exception

                              I personally hope we don't use it and let it expire and become free cap space. There is no one I really want in the group of players with big contracts.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X