• Time
  • Show
Clear All

lebron looked offended when he said he wasnt going to cleveland haha

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Battier is a smart man.
      No Stats All-Star Shane Battier
      I posted this article not to long ago as well. It will seriously make you wish we had him on the Raptors.
      Instantly turned him into one of my favourite players.

Comment

raptorsking wrote: View Post
        watched the video he was definitely laughing at Cleveland
        where can we find it?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          where can we find it?
          http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/

scroll down and look for heat post game.

Comment

raptorsking wrote: View Post
            http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/

scroll down and look for heat post game.
            That jacket is RIDICULOUS. Oh my...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              They need a rude awakening. Basketball has turned into a sport divided by classes, the haves and the have nots. It's setup so that that the have nots stand very little chance of truly competing. I've never heard of a prominent NFL player choosing a city because "it's a bigger market". It's a ridiculous idea there because the marketing is handled differently. They chose places based on their chance of winning, their chance at playing and their salary. Somehow the NBA needs to bring that culture to the NBA. There was a time not too long ago where NBA players cared only about winning and opportunity. That got lost when Stern came on board and turned the players into individual marketing props exploited to squeeze every penny they could out of the market each year. They certainly have a nice revenue generator but it's funny though how the NFL chose not to go that path, only have 16 game regular seasons and still whoop the NBA in profits each and every year.
              I can't think of a sport that isn't divided into have and have-nots. Basketball certainly is - you just need to look at the Lakers and Celtics and start counting championships. Something like 55% of them split between the two teams?

Baseball is certainly the least egalitarian of the major sports, with the NFL being the most equal and the NHL living somewhere in-between.

However, NFL owners treat players large garbage and the league never has to handle its marketing differently -- it has a 70-year-old mythology and rabid fans raised on pigskin at birth, not to mention the huge ratings (and revenue) of the superbowl. Because its star players don't play on both sides of the ball (anymore), it's less of a player-driven game by its very nature. The formula is just very different.

As much as I hate Stern, I think building the NBA around marquee players was a necessary step that catapulted the league out of its also-ran status.

Labor issues aside, I think the NBA is actually approaching a new silver era. There's a ton of talent, great team rivalries, dood personal rivalries and a level of global interest and participation that might make the second-most popular sport in the world.

Comment

Working...
              X