Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no, no

The Raptors are not the "Blue Jays".

A.) They don't play in a system where unless you win a division you need to win a wild card to make the playoffs.
    -The Raptors only need play .500 to make the playoffs. There are four seeds in the East open to non-divisional winners.

B.) They don't play in a system where teams can spend whatever they want virtually without limitation.
    - They've made the playoffs spending up to the luxury tax threshold.
    - The NBA owners want a hard cap.

Comment

The BlueJays have a bright future, their GM is a very patient and intelligent man with excellent talent-evaluation skills. He's not rushing things and is focused on building the pitching staff and infield. It's the equivalent of an NBA GM shoring up your defense because, you know, defense is what matters.

Comment

I'd buy the division argument if the playoff structure had a limit on the number of teams from a division that qualify. They don't, so I don't see it. The Raptors aren't going to win the Atlantic anytime soon, don't even forget NJ which WILL throw money around and get SOMEBODY in there.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          The Raptors are not the "Blue Jays".

A.) The don't play in a system where unless you win a division you need to win a wild card.
          -The Raptors only need play .500 to make the playoffs.

B.) They don't play in a system where teams can spend whatever they want virtually without limitation.
          - They've made the playoffs spending up to the luxury tax threshold.
          - The NBA owners want a hard cap.
          Agree with all of this. Great points.
          But if we avoid comparing the sports, and just the situation that the teams are in, I'm pretty sure Jclaw was only looking to say we are now in probably one of the toughest divisions in basketball. And like the Jays, play the majority of our games against these very good teams.

So no it doesn't come down to a Wildcard spot, or cap abilities, or anything like that; it still does impact the Raptors as we play more games against our division then anyone else.

Comment

Only temporarily though. The Nets and 76ers don't have anymore upside than the Raptors right now in my opinion. The Knicks have the potential to be good but with Dolan stepping in while having Zeke in his ear I'm not 100% sold on them. Then you have the Celtics who are very old outside of Rondo and Perkins. Perkins might not even be back. I think the expiration date on the Celtics is fastly approaching. I don't know, I don't see the situation as bad. By the time the Raptors are truely ready to compete things will look a lot different in the Atlantic.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Only temporarily though. The Nets and 76ers don't have anymore upside than the Raptors right now in my opinion. The Knicks have the potential to be good but with Dolan stepping in while having Zeke in his ear I'm not 100% sold on them. Then you have the Celtics who are very old outside of Rondo and Perkins. Perkins might not even be back. I think the expiration date on the Celtics is fastly approaching. I don't know, I don't see the situation as bad. By the time the Raptors are truely ready to compete things will look a lot different in the Atlantic.
              Very, very true.

Comment

can't wait for opening day against the twins...hopefully lind and snider can go yard
                "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Yes.
                  The Heat aren't in our division so it's not really a comparison of divisional situations.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                    The Heat aren't in our division so it's not really a comparison of divisional situations.
                    Boston and New York are.

Comment

Ya but the OP talked about Miami and New York. Kinda weird leaving Boston out of that post considering they're arguably the best team in the league.

But yea...I don't see NY as a big threat. Chicago, Boston, Orlando and eventually Miami are going to be the elite teams. As talented as Amar'e and Melo are, I can't see them being successful together.

Comment

Ya but the OP talked about Miami and New York. Kinda weird leaving Boston out of that post considering they're arguably the best team in the league.
                        This is true actually. Good call. THEN I rescind my initial undestanding and restate with.. HUH?!?

But yea...I don't see NY as a big threat. Chicago, Boston, Orlando and eventually Miami are going to be the elite teams. As talented as Amar'e and Melo are, I can't see them being successful together.
                        I really don't know yet. I think it really depends who's going to round out their 'Big 3' or if it just them and a bunch of scrubs. If the latter, then I have to agree with you. Not enough D.

Comment

Working...
                        X