The Raptors are not even projected to get a top 5 pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raptors are not even projected to get a top 5 pick

With the way the Raptors have been playing in comparison to other bottom feeders of the NBA, I think that they won't be selecting any player in the top 5.

So much for hope to grab a real stud to resurrect this team.

3-7 in their last ten, lost two straight. Yeah, they're slipping on their top five status right now to the Clippers and Nets. There are no "sure bets" in this draft though. I look at it like the 2006 draft. Roy and Gay weren't drafted in the top five there.

Comment

Detroit 22 39 .361 Lost 2 3-7
      LA Clippers 21 39 .350 Lost 4 2-8
      New Jersey 17 42 .288 Lost 5 2-8
      Toronto 16 44 .267 Lost 2 3-7
      Washington 15 43 .259 Lost 5 2-8
      Sacramento 14 43 .246 Lost 2 2-8
      Minnesota 14 46 .233 Won 1 3-7
      Cleveland 11 48 .186 Lost 1 3-7

Seems to me they are keeping pace with the bottom dwellers quite well. 3 games separates pick 2 from 6. Also, the picks rarely work out exactly like the season results - hence the lottery.

Comment

I'd want to be 4th worst. I don't know why, but I always feel like the team who is 4th worse, usually goes up. Whilst the team with the highest chance to get 1st, usually drops.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Detroit 22 39 .361 Lost 2 3-7
          LA Clippers 21 39 .350 Lost 4 2-8
          New Jersey 17 42 .288 Lost 5 2-8
          Toronto 16 44 .267 Lost 2 3-7
          Washington 15 43 .259 Lost 5 2-8
          Sacramento 14 43 .246 Lost 2 2-8
          Minnesota 14 46 .233 Won 1 3-7
          Cleveland 11 48 .186 Lost 1 3-7

Seems to me they are keeping pace with the bottom dwellers quite well. 3 games separates pick 2 from 6. Also, the picks rarely work out exactly like the season results - hence the lottery.
          I said this a month ago in this thread and I think it will hold true:

Apollo wrote: View Post
          A team like the Raptors, who I am convinced will produce their classic mediocre season of playing themselves out of the playoffs early in the season and then playing themselves out of a high lotto pick late in the season.
          Page 7

This is not the draft I want the Raptors to win the lottery anyway. I know the expectations on the #1 selection and I don't think any player in this draft needs that kind of pressure on him if he's coming to Toronto.

Comment

Chicago jumped all the way from 9th in the Lottery to #1 to draft Derrick Rose.
            Have faith in the Lottery. Pray to the Lottery. Fear the Lottery.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              lol.. so true

it's a LOTTERY. if ass backwards trailer park trash from the muskoka region who ride their snowmobiles down the highway can win the lottery, so can the raps... with much better odds too.

Comment

Hopefully Deron will give the Nets a couple extra wins!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  But it was Chicago, and there was a consensus #1 that year. It is the Stern Lottery.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
                    But it was Chicago, and there was a consensus #1 that year. It is the Stern Lottery.
                    There was a lot of question about the #1 from my recollection. Beasley and Rose were sure fire 1 and 2, just nobody knew which order. Rose came on strong at the end of the year leading Memphis to the Final 4.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      This is not the draft I want the Raptors to win the lottery anyway. I know the expectations on the #1 selection and I don't think any player in this draft needs that kind of pressure on him if he's coming to Toronto.
                      That depends. If you don't want to win because you want the Raptors to get the #1 pick NEXT year, then I agree. But if it's simply because this isn't a strong draft, then I completely disagree. If Kyrie Irving truly is the only potential franchise player in this draft, then he'll go #1. If the Raptors draft #2, sure they don't put as much pressure on their draft pick but, personally, I'd rather get the best player.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        If Kyrie Irving truly is the only potential franchise player in this draft, then he'll go #1. If the Raptors draft #2, sure they don't put as much pressure on their draft pick but, personally, I'd rather get the best player.
                        There could be potential for swapping of picks as well. What if MIN selects #1? As we know they already have a stable of PG's on the roster and overseas. Who they want might be available at 3, 4, 5, 6 where the Raps most likely will be. Or they might be willing to give up their pick for future draft picks (2012?) for veterans. They have no pick in 2012 as their own is unprotected. Surely they would consider bolstering their roster with veteran players (especially in the backcourt) to go with the very talented young players they possess in the front court and secure a 1st round pick in 2012 as well.

Calderon/Barbosa/2012 Raps pick (say top 5 protected?) for Ridnour or Flynn/Pekovic/2011 first round?

(BTW, just pulled that off the top of my head. I like the idea of Pekovic beating up on Bargnani day in and day out).

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          That depends. If you don't want to win because you want the Raptors to get the #1 pick NEXT year, then I agree. But if it's simply because this isn't a strong draft, then I completely disagree. If Kyrie Irving truly is the only potential franchise player in this draft, then he'll go #1. If the Raptors draft #2, sure they don't put as much pressure on their draft pick but, personally, I'd rather get the best player.
                          Who's calling Irving a franchise player? All I've been hearing is he's a safe pick. A solid player who lacks the explosiveness and athleticism of recent past #1 PG's John Wall and Derrick Rose.

I don't want them at #1 because I know what the fans and media are like in Toronto. The draft is weak and with no consensus #1. If they win the #1 and the if guy they take doesn't offer instant gratification, which is likely, then that player is marked for his career in Toronto. Bargnani wasn't given a fair chance in Toronto right out of the gate even though Colangelo said many times that the big Italian was a work in progress. Even now, although he does deserve some criticism, it is at times unfair and exaggerated in my opinion because he was selected #1 overall. The media and fans placed more pressure on him because of where he was taken and judged him against past number one overall picks even though in a strong draft he would have been lucky to go in the top five. #1 overall carries a certain standard with it which is sometimes unfair and unrealistic. Toronto proved with Bargnani that winning the lotto in a weak draft with no consensus #1 is not good fortune for the franchise. It would be much better for them to win the #2 or #3, select the guy they want and face a five man firing squad instead of a twenty man firing squad. Irving isn't playing anymore this season. Some other kids are playing out of their minds. It's going to be difficult for the #1 overall team to take him over some of these other guys now at this point. I think Irving will be there at #3-5 depending on the draft order.

Comment

Toronto still has good odds, and I still think that at least Washington and possibly Sacramento make moves past us. Washington is a better team them most people realize.

The issue is not necessarily whether we win the draft, but who does and what they want. No one really knows what Cleveland would do (although some are saying they want Kyrie). But it would not make sense for either Minnesota (Rubio) or Washington (Wall) to draft a PG...meaning they both might be willing to slide, or will at least pass on Kyrie.

Things are not doom and gloom...
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

One thing that is common with recent Raptor teams is that they play their best basketball at season's end when it doesn't matter anymore. I actually see the Raptors leapfrog NJ because I think that the Nets depth is weaker then it was prior to the trade and it ain't going to help them even if D Williams has big games.

Yes its true that the lottery can help but it can also hinder you by knocking you one or two spot lower then you should be and often it doesn't affect your position.

A six place in the draft and selecting the big Turkish guy is what the Raptors are all about, haven't you learned anything?!

Comment

Working...
                              X