No announcement yet.

The light at the end of the tunnel is not a train... according to Mark Cuban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The light at the end of the tunnel is not a train... according to Mark Cuban

Paul Jones recently interviewed the much maligned owner of the Mavericks in Mark Cuban and he breathed some interesting and very positive insight into Toronto's direction. Should BC be renewed for another 5 years, what should be his main areas of focus? In my opinion, the biggest questions (or areas to focus on) are as follows:

1. How can he change the culture of this franchise?
    2. How can he maneuver within the new CBA landscape, MLSE's decision to lower ticket prices (which could affect the team's ability to attract top tier free agents), and the stacked Atlantic division?

Interview can be heard here.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Nice find. I respect Mark Cuban ALOT. Dude knows his stuff and if he says BC is good, then he IS good.
    Already knew Toronto WAS a good market, but the way he puts it, makes you feel good.

Comment

Thanks, Balls. That is an interesting interview. It is nice to hear such an out spoken and successful owner recognize the value of Toronto to the league.

He also speaks highly about BC. There is no doubt he is one of the better GM's in the league, as Cuban said.

To add input to your questions:

1) This was the exact same thing that was said when he first came. The culture changes through positive developments which ultimately lead to winning. That is not going to happen until more talent is added to the roster, current talent continues to develop, cap space is used wisely in free agency to bring quality players (i.e. do not pull a NJ/Travis Outlaw or another Hedo), a new coach is brought in, and players who are not helping the franchise win, either on or off the court, are exiled.

2) Discussing the new CBA is a lot of speculation. Nobody knows what is going to come of it. Whatever happens it is clear lower payrolls are in the future. Steps have already been taken to address this as there is only $45M on the books next year. MLSE decision to lower ticket prices is in line with a lower costs for player contracts in the future so they are awash (keep in mind I am guessing at that and do not have access to their accountant's books but I think it is a fair statement). The stacked Atlantic is still questionable. NJ has done nothing. PHI, imo, are at their peak. NYK could be very adversely impacted in a new CBA with 2 max players, one near max player, and little depth. BOS has $56M tied up in 4 players. Time will tell.

Comment

High energy guy and I always enjoy listening to him whether I agree or not. It is ironic though (and speaks to his business smarts) that he speaks highly of BC who took Nash away from Dallas and then he kind of puts it on Nash (taking his talents to Phoenix...lol). I believe it was he who lost Nash by trying to lowball SN. In retrospect Cuban was new to the "game" and SN was not having a good time with the fans there with the losing before Dirk got there but BC swooped in and took him away.

The other good quote was "players dont make good GMs". Didnt do the Raps any good with Wince nor the Cavs with LBJ. For the record it is Donnie Nelson in Dallas who is really the talent evaluator.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          Paul Jones recently interviewed the much maligned owner of the Mavericks in Mark Cuban and he breathed some interesting and very positive insight into Toronto's direction. Should BC be renewed for another 5 years, what should be his main areas of focus? In my opinion, the biggest questions (or areas to focus on) are as follows:

1. How can he change the culture of this franchise?
          2. How can he maneuver within the new CBA landscape, MLSE's decision to lower ticket prices (which could affect the team's ability to attract top tier free agents), and the stacked Atlantic division?

Interview can be heard here.
          Mark Cuban is a nice guy as a billionaire , so take what he says with a grain of salt and Mark Cuban is the kind of guy, you see in the club without bodyguards or makes himself accessible to nobodys in the club like us . Bottomline, Mark Cuban is a lovable and simple man (maybe too simple for being a billionaire ).

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
            Mark Cuban is a nice guy as a billionaire , so take what he says with a grain of salt and Mark Cuban is the kind of guy, you see in the club without bodyguards or makes himself accessible to nobodys in the club like us . Bottomline, Mark Cuban is a lovable and simple man (maybe too simple for being a billionaire ).
            If by simple you mean genius ... the guy knows the how the NBA works better than ANYBODY in the business. Should read his blog.

But ya, so are you saying you disagree with what he is saying smushsmush?

And if you even try to say that you know more than Mark Cuban about basketball, I'm done forever.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              If by simple you mean genius ... the guy knows the how the NBA works better than ANYBODY in the business. Should read his blog.

But ya, so are you saying you disagree with what he is saying smushsmush?

And if you even try to say that you know more than Mark Cuban about basketball, I'm done forever.
              Stop putting words in my mouth, Joey Hesketh. I clearly don't know basketball than Mark Cuban - he is an owner of a NBA team, I am just a fan. I respect his basketball knowledge but I am saying he is likeable that you have to take some of his opinion atimes with a grain of salt(The real truth about this team imo is between Mark Cuban's opinion and Phdsteve's opinion(last rapcast) as I am a realist or a Phdsteve's opinion at the extreme). My 2 cents .
              Last edited by smushmush; Wed Mar 2, 2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X