Raptors Finisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Simple, the play was drawn for him and had 2 CHANCES to win the game against *ahem* Kris Humphries. Didn't drive, looked at the clock like he's Lebron then hit the front iron - twice. Fine, I'll get off his balls about his rebounding and defense in general. This time, what about his offense in late game situations? Oh and by the way, the franchise player is sitting on the bench when the team gets itself ready to defend the opponent on their last offensive possession. Yup, he's the man.
    Look at the Lakers for a recent example. Due to Shaq's poor free throw shooting they often had to take him out late to avoid intentional fouls. I actually thought that it was one of the smarter moves that Triano has shown me lately. I'm fully ok with and hope it gets AB to learn how to help out better.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Don't take this negatively as I'm done ranting about AB. I'm kinda glad that we lost though because it really exposes the deficiencies of this team and it's coaching staff. If the team won, the culprits that got the team in a triple overtime situation gets a free pass (heck even in losses, certain players get tea-bagged by fans that simply look for scoring as the only benchmark for a player's impact on the team). This is yet another lesson in a season full of growing pains.

PS> I like the way the Nets are evolving. They're not hung up on certain players in their roster and will move assets to get to where they need to get. I wish this franchise did the same - you know, realize things ain't working out so you move players for better assets (but I digress).
      I've finally stopped hating on AB. He brings too much to the table. Some players take time to learn what really is their game. Heck, look at Humphries, did any of us see this player? I hope to see AB retire with the Raptors. With some regular season success, playoff wins, advancement through rounds and to a championship. He is a remarkable talent still learning what he can do. Jack had an interesting comment during todays game. He wondered if AB really understood how good he was and how much he can dominate a game. I think he's still learning what he is capable of doing.
      “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
        Look at the Lakers for a recent example. Due to Shaq's poor free throw shooting they often had to take him out late to avoid intentional fouls. I actually thought that it was one of the smarter moves that Triano has shown me lately. I'm fully ok with and hope it gets AB to learn how to help out better.
        That's not true. The "Hack-a-Shaq" method did not cost him bench time. He wasn't taken out because he couldn't shoot free throws. His effectiveness down low was negated because of his free throw shooting. It ended costing him some touches but he was still a force down low in his days with the Lakers. Howard at times was taken out as well especially in the playoffs due to foul trouble. That's different though as Howard is an elite defensive player that got baited a couple of times, or his help defense wasn't there and he ended up with the foul. I'm talking about critical, crunch time moments and Andrea's pulled out for James Johnson for defensive purposes.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

That's not true. The "Hack-a-Shaq" method did not cost him bench time. He wasn't taken out because he couldn't shoot free throws. His effectiveness down low was negated because of his free throw shooting. It ended costing him some touches but he was still a force down low in his days with the Lakers. Howard at times was taken out as well especially in the playoffs due to foul trouble. That's different though as Howard is an elite defensive player that got baited a couple of times, or his help defense wasn't there and he ended up with the foul. I'm talking about critical, crunch time moments and Andrea's pulled out for James Johnson for defensive purposes.
          ?

Of course he was. I saw him repeatedly taken out late on the Offensive side late in certain games. Or they would not feed him as they wanted to avoid the intentional foul. Really, was this not the standard for a few years?

Comment

?

Of course he was. I saw him repeatedly taken out late on the Offensive side late in certain games. Or they would not feed him as they wanted to avoid the intentional foul. Really, was this not the standard for a few years?
            I agree with what you're saying. However, Shaq was not taken out due to poor foul shooting and foul shooting alone. It was only used to negate his effectiveness once he got deep post position. In other words, the Lakers didn't have to take him out, he just never got the ball as much as he'd like to in the dying minutes / seconds of the game. You don't have to take out a player if he's a poor FT shooter, you just don't give him the ball. On games where a full court press was applied (because the game is close and both teams are in FT shooting situations), coaches tend to put the best free throw shooters in the game. That's the only time a player was taken out due to poor free throw shooting (perhaps this is why Shaq was taken out, but not all the time - he's still a defensive presence and that's where the Lakers needed him).

Let's face it, Bargs is a poor rebounder and defender and that's why he was taken out. I just don't think that your best player should be sitting at most games' critical juncture. It is what it is. If he can't defend or rebound, then how can he be considered the team's best player? My team's best player is Amir, not because of his scoring numbers but because of the intangible (non-quantifiable) factors he brings such as hustle and perseverance.

PS> Howard is a terrible FT shooter as well, but was never taken out late. He never got the late touches but the Magic sure needed his defense to close out games.
            Last edited by Balls of Steel; Sun Mar 6, 2011, 01:27 AM.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Shaq was not taken out due to poor foul shooting. It was only used to negate his effectiveness once he got deep post position. In other words, the Lakers didn't have to take him out, he just never got the ball as much as he'd like to in the dying minutes / seconds of the game. You don't have to take out a player if he's a poor FT shooter, you just don't give him the ball. On games where a full court press was applied (because the game is close and both teams are in FT shooting situations), coaches tend to put the best free throw shooters in the game. That's the only time a player was taken out due to poor free throw shooting (perhaps this is why Shaq was taken out, but not all the time - he's still a defensive presence and that's where the Lakers needed him).

Let's face it, Bargs is a poor rebounder and defender and that's why he was taken out. I just don't think that your best player should be sitting at most games' critical juncture. It is what it is. If he can't defend or rebound, then how can he be considered the team's best player? My team's best player is Amir, not because of his scoring numbers but because of the intangible (non-quantifiable) factors he brings such as hustle and perseverance.
              Damn Balls, you cannot have both. AB brings good and bad. Accept what he brings or just hit the escape button. 'Cause I want to go forward with him.

Comment

I agree, you cannot have both for life is not perfect. I too, shall move on. However, the next time JT draws a play, perhaps he should consider other players. Preferably players that bring the effort on both sides of the court this time.

Comment

@ BOS

But it still affects their worth. And I am willing to let it go. And I understand if you are not willing to. AB makes us a more deadlier threat. And no one wants to face him knowing what he has to bring. He just has to believe it.

Comment

I agree, you cannot have both for life is not perfect. I too, shall move on. However, the next time JT draws a play, perhaps he should consider other players. Preferably players that bring the effort on both sides of the court this time.
                    Honestly, HTF is there not a play made up for someone else receiving a pass from AB. Seems intentionally obtuse to me.

Comment

Honestly, HTF is there not a play made up for someone else receiving a pass from AB. Seems intentionally obtuse to me.
                      It was an ISO play. They even cleared the right side for him. He was free to drive or chuck. The latter choice was preferred by Avery Johnson. It didn't take a genius to realize that all Humphries had to do was not bite on the pump-fake and crowd him. Andrea's mistake was that he allowed Kris to plant his feet and to guard him tight (AB didn't move in the 9 seconds the ball was in his hands). It was an ISO play for one player and that player was Andrea Bargnani.

Comment

It was an ISO play. They even cleared the right side for him. He was free to drive or chuck. The latter choice was preferred by Avery Johnson. It didn't take a genius to realize that all Humphries had to do was not bite on the pump-fake and crowd him. Andrea's mistake was that he allowed Kris to plant his feet and to guard him tight (AB didn't move in the 9 seconds the ball was in his hands). It was an ISO play for one player and that player was Andrea Bargnani.
                        if it was ISO the ball should have been in derozens hands or even weems.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          if it was ISO the ball should have been in derozens hands or even weems.
                          Agreed. Better mobility, faster to the bucket and a higher opportunity for a trip to the foul line. Another coaching gem by JT himself.

Comment

Agreed. Better mobility, faster to the bucket and a higher opportunity for a trip to the foul line. Another coaching gem by JT himself.
                            We should have ran a play for Weems, where Calderon or bayless drive and draw the defence and then kick it out to weems for the open shot

Comment

No talk about how our defense blew the assignment on SAsha for a three to tie the game with 9 seconds. Our defense blew this one. Talk about embarrassing sasha hits 6 threes on who ever was guarding him. Sasha is a borderline nba player and we make him look good same with Gaines. Our guards cost us this game. You have to be able to stop borderline players like gaines and sasha to under 10 points.

Comment

Um, Cleveland won, Nets won twice, we lost twice. Irving here we come?

Comment

Working...
                                X