Core + 2 = Winning Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core + 2 = Winning Team?

Im assuming, and this is my opinion, next season's SG, PF and C are pretty much set, with DeRozan, Davis and Bargs.

If they are able to draft a quality PG and sign an All-star SF (or vice versa), plus this core, do you guys think theyll be able to produce a winning team?

Again, assuming, Amir, Bayless, JJ, Kleiza are among the reserves....

IMO, id think not.

Imagine if we got steph curry and Dorell Wright. That would be great, Curry is an amazing PG who can Pass, score and basically do everything. And Wright is just a 3 point maniac, which is good cause our 3 point shooting has been garbage this season.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      Im assuming, and this is my opinion, next season's SG, PF and C are pretty much set, with DeRozan, Davis and Bargs.

If they are able to draft a quality PG and sign an All-star SF (or vice versa), plus this core, do you guys think theyll be able to produce a winning team?

IMO, id think not.
      Do you really think the Raps are going to sign an all-star FA? Hedo was the biggest FA signing to date and I don't think he's even made an all-star game. It would be cool, but I doubt it.

And knowing BC i doubt the roster won't be shaken up at least a little bit.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

IMO, id think not.
        A winning team? Probably not. (I consider winning over .500 here)

Contending for the final EAST playoff spot - very much possible (IND are 27-37 and sitting in 8th), especially if Calderon is the back up PG and a defensive minded C is on the roster. This could be the worst case scenario for the Raptors though as a mediocre season next year would take away one more high draft pick (think OKC drafting Durant and then Westbrook the following year).

Competing for the playoffs and not getting in, positioning for 9th pick, and then winning the lottery (CHI/ROse anyone? lol) would certainly be a best of both worlds situation.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          Do you really think the Raps are going to sign an all-star FA? Hedo was the biggest FA signing to date and I don't think he's even made an all-star game. It would be cool, but I doubt it.

And knowing BC i doubt the roster won't be shaken up at least a little bit.
          ya your probably right. Hopefully we get a PG in the draft though

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            A winning team? Probably not. (I consider winning over .500 here)

Contending for the final EAST playoff spot - very much possible (IND are 27-37 and sitting in 8th), especially if Calderon is the back up PG and a defensive minded C is on the roster. This could be the worst case scenario for the Raptors though as a mediocre season next year would take away one more high draft pick (think OKC drafting Durant and then Westbrook the following year).

Competing for the playoffs and not getting in, positioning for 9th pick, and then winning the lottery (CHI/ROse anyone? lol) would certainly be a best of both worlds situation.
            Yeah I don't see another top 5 pick next year. Let's just say for the sake of argument that the Raps draft a PG, and keep the Johnson/Weems SF. That's still gonna improve from last year. Everyone on the team is still improving except for Calderon.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

what i hope for next season:

draft barnes 5th overall

trade bargnani and pieces for 10th-12th pick in the draft

sign a big man like kanter, or that lithuanian guy here's hoping that they fall this low

remind calderon that the team and his health is more important than his country right now

instill in derozan that defense is more important than developing a 3 point shot right now

try and convince Ed Davis that toronto isn't the shithole the american's make it to be

be patient with bayless

sign sonny to the minimum
              sign ajinca for the minimum

then our roster would be:

C Kanter/jonas valanciunas
              PF Special Ed, Amir
              SF Barnes, Kleiza
              SG Derozan, weems
              PG Calderon, Bayless

not bad eh..

Comment

What do you guys think of Rodney Stuckey?
                He's an FA next year and i think he'll be a good fit with the Raps.
                Big guard who can defend the perimeter, slasher.

Say we sign Stuckey, draft Barnes or Terrence Jones along with Demar, Ed and Bargs, that should be a good starting 5 right there.....Id still want a defensive center tho, but that would be either Bargs or Ed has to sit or Bargs get traded.

Being a realist, id go with this 5.

Comment

Although - not saying this could happen - but for the sake of argument the following would be a situation where I think they would be a winning team.

Lottery gods send Irving to TOR either at pick 1 or 2 (although I don't see him getting past 1 unless MIN picks).

The Raptors can trade for Josh Smith (Any trade for Smith assumes they do not get past the second round of the playoffs and this year they could struggle to get past the first depending on the match up with NYK or ORL). Besides financial relief and future 1st round picks, the Raps have nothing that they should be willing to give up that would interest the Hawks, in my opinion. Therefore this would have to be a three or four team trade that would give ATL better role players, most likely a true C, and probably a future draft pick (I am going to play with the trade machine - I have ATL/TOR/MIN on the brain for some reason). Any trade involving Smith (or any big salary to TOR) would require Calderon to be moved.

I really like the idea of Josh Smith as he can certainly play the SF on D and offensively we already have a 3 point shooting C so he can go inside against smaller SF's as Davis or Amir are at the 4 plus Smith can hit the long two with consistency and his hitting 33% on his 3's this year. I think there could be some ridiculous match up nightmares for other teams and what Smith and Amir/Davis bring in the front court, combined with improvement in DD's D and a PG who can keep their own man in front - I am feeling tingly in my neither regions.

If Irving lived up to the hype, I think this could be a winning, playoff team. The great thing about Irving is he can already shoot - many PG's come in to the league without a jump shot (Wall, Westbrook and Rose come immediately to mind).

Starting line up:

PG: Irving
                  SG: DD
                  SF: Smith
                  PF: Davis
                  C: Bargnani

As for reserves, what about the TPE on Biendris? It would certainly be a gamble but he is only 24 and not long removed from a double-double machine. I wonder if a change of scenario and a defined role of rebound and patrol the paint would help him get confidence again. At the PG, I don't see Bayless being happy behind Irving. Barbosa may opt out. So I'm not too sure how the backcourt reserves has a lot of uncertainty.

Reserves:

PG: *****
                  SG: *****
                  SF: Johnson
                  PF: Amir
                  C: Biendris

(don't beat me up to much on any replies... I realize I am totally having fantasies this afternoon).

Comment

This team really needs a PG/SG/SF that can consistently hit 3s. Why are we always in the extreme? Couple years ago all we could do was hit jumper/3s and now all we can do is get in the paint/mid ranger.

Comment

I had a dream we traded Bargs for Hibbert and drafted Barnes.

I woke up to wet sheets.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Although - not saying this could happen - but for the sake of argument the following would be a situation where I think they would be a winning team.

Lottery gods send Irving to TOR either at pick 1 or 2 (although I don't see him getting past 1 unless MIN picks).

The Raptors can trade for Josh Smith (Any trade for Smith assumes they do not get past the second round of the playoffs and this year they could struggle to get past the first depending on the match up with NYK or ORL). Besides financial relief and future 1st round picks, the Raps have nothing that they should be willing to give up that would interest the Hawks, in my opinion. Therefore this would have to be a three or four team trade that would give ATL better role players, most likely a true C, and probably a future draft pick (I am going to play with the trade machine - I have ATL/TOR/MIN on the brain for some reason). Any trade involving Smith (or any big salary to TOR) would require Calderon to be moved.

I really like the idea of Josh Smith as he can certainly play the SF on D and offensively we already have a 3 point shooting C so he can go inside against smaller SF's as Davis or Amir are at the 4 plus Smith can hit the long two with consistency and his hitting 33% on his 3's this year. I think there could be some ridiculous match up nightmares for other teams and what Smith and Amir/Davis bring in the front court, combined with improvement in DD's D and a PG who can keep their own man in front - I am feeling tingly in my neither regions.

If Irving lived up to the hype, I think this could be a winning, playoff team. The great thing about Irving is he can already shoot - many PG's come in to the league without a jump shot (Wall, Westbrook and Rose come immediately to mind).

Starting line up:

PG: Irving
                        SG: DD
                        SF: Smith
                        PF: Davis
                        C: Bargnani

As for reserves, what about the TPE on Biendris? It would certainly be a gamble but he is only 24 and not long removed from a double-double machine. I wonder if a change of scenario and a defined role of rebound and patrol the paint would help him get confidence again. At the PG, I don't see Bayless being happy behind Irving. Barbosa may opt out. So I'm not too sure how the backcourt reserves has a lot of uncertainty.

Reserves:

PG: *****
                        SG: *****
                        SF: Johnson
                        PF: Amir
                        C: Biendris

(don't beat me up to much on any replies... I realize I am totally having fantasies this afternoon).
                        Matt, dunno if it's workable but Bargs for Josh Smith and parts would be good right (or sign and trade)? I mean they want a true center (I know that Bargs isn't) but paired with Horford, they still form one heck of a tandem. As for J-Smove, he would be very nice alongside Davis. What a pair!!!

PS> I woke up wet too!
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I think the core of Davis, Demar, and, Bargs plus some good talent at small forward and point guard could actually be a very good team in a few years. Let's say we draft Barnes and he works out, and Demar and Ed keep getting better. In two years this team is suddenly dangerous. If Bargs improves his D and rebounding or we get a better defensive center then I think this team as it is currently constructed could go places. Just need some luck and some hard work from our players.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            Matt, dunno if it's workable but Bargs for Josh Smith and parts would be good right (or sign and trade)? I mean they want a true center (I know that Bargs isn't) but paired with Horford, they still form one heck of a tandem. As for J-Smove, he would be very nice alongside Davis. What a pair!!!

PS> I woke up wet too!
                            I would only want Josh Smith if Bargs was here. Seriously. If Bargs left, they still need a C and Smith's game on the offensive end is where I see a problem without Bargnani. Davis is not a C - even with bulk - he'd be a PF asked to play C like Horford.

I really think a PG who cuts down the penetration combined with two great rebounders/weak side help defenders (Davis and Smith) would help enough on defense to make the match up nightmares on offensive more than worth Bargnani well noted shortcomings on D and the glass.

Comment

It's so hard to guess about next year cause of the CBA, the unknown draft position, and BC's hyperactive nature in terms of trades. Having said that, I agree with the general consensus that the Raps need to upgrade the 3 through the draft, trade of FA. Johnson and Klieza doesn't cut it. I could live with Calderon at the point if an elite prospect like Irving isn't available - there is no need to go and sign another average/below average PG.

I don't see a guy like Stuckey at the point on this team. Stuckey needs to go somewhere where the 2 and 3 are the primary ballhandlers and he can play off-the-ball. I'd love Josh Smith on this team but I don't see a plausible way to make that happen given the Raps personnel.

In the end, it always comes back to Bargs. Can he play big minutes at the 5 on a good team? If not, then you need to address that spot as well and it affects everything else. If yes, then you really only need to upgrade the 3, find a decent backup PG and add shooters off the bench. You also need to defend as a team but that's a different story...

Comment

Working...
                              X