It is time for a Colangelo/D'Antoni Reunion in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is time for a Colangelo/D'Antoni Reunion in Toronto

Yes, you read that correctly. It is time for a Colangelo/D'Antoni reunion - in Toronto.

Colangelo has not had a coach who gets the most out of his acquired talent since they were together in PHX. D'Antoni has not had a GM/owner capable of putting together a roster which he can get the most out of his systems.

Things in NY look strained for D'Antoni. It seems clear he was not on board for the Carmelo trade - rightfully so after the roster was gutted. It appears neither D'Antoni or Donnie Walsh were on board with the trade and it got done by James Dolan at all costs - yes, the same James Dolan who let Isiah run the franchise in to the ground for the better part of a decade.

After the Melo trade there is plenty of hype and expectations with ticket prices jacked on average 50% for next season and up to 100% in the 'elite' seats.

Unfortunately, Anthony is one of the most overhyped one-dimensional scorers in the game. The comments George Karl has made and the results of DEN and NYK as a team since the trade speak volumes, in my opinion. DEN has taken off while NYK has run aground with Stoudemire calling out people (read: Anthony) in the media and Anthony ducking out of locker rooms without speaking to the media.

Back to D'Antoni, he is going to be the scapegoat in Dolan's latest failure as owner of the Knicks. The reality is after two seasons of struggling to get a roster that can compete and play D'Antoni's style of ball, it was blown up just when the franchise and fanbase were starting to reap the rewards of two years of patience - after just one playoff appearance in the previous 7 years. The New York Knicks as an organization and the fans of New York have rarely shown patience in the eye of expectations. In my eyes, unless they dramatically improve in the next 12 games or get past the first round of the playoffs, D'Antoni is done (and possibly Walsh). Someone will have to pay the price of Dolan undermining his GM and coach with failed results and skyrocketing expectations and ticket prices.

Before everyone rips me a new one for suggesting D'Antoni to Toronto, let us discuss a number of the sure-fire arguments of why he should not be here:

1) Lack of playoff success, from Chad Ford:

Tough question. Blame Mike D'Antoni all you want for the poor defense. But who exactly on the Knicks was a decent defender before playing for D'Antoni. Chauncey may be the closest if you want to go back to his days in Detroit, but it's been a while. The team is built to be an offensive force and D'Antoni's teams have gone within a last minute injury and a suspension from being in the NBA Finals. He can get the Knicks there to with the right talent. The problem is New York doesn't have the supporting talent and are struggling to mesh Carmelo and Billups with the remaining team. Given that the team is set to meet either Chicago, Boston or Miami in the first round -- I think they're toast. But we expected that anyway.
    D'Antoni made the West Finals twice, semi's once, and lost in the first round the last year after having Shaq forced on him by the owner. The teams they lost to (SAS three times, DAL once) were hardly teams one could consider an upset. SAS have been arguably the most successful team of the last dozen years built around one of the best players to ever play, coaches to coach, GM's to ever manage, and owners to ever own.

2) D'Antoni's team play little to no defense. To this I say yes and no. If you look at the number of points given up per game compared to the league, then yes, they play little to no defense. In Phoenix, opponents PPG ranked 25th in 2008, 23rd in 2007, 28th in 2006, and 30th in 2005. This is to be expected considering opponents get many more FG attempts in the 7 second or less offense. However those same years if you consider their defensive rating (points per 100 possessions) they were 16th in 2008, 13th in 2007, 16th in 2006,and 17th in 2005.

As we all know their own points per game relative to the league was 3rd in 2008, 1st in 2007, 1st in 2006, and 1st in 2005.

Counter the average defense per 100 possessions with offense per 100 possessions which ranked the Suns 2nd in 2008, 1st in 2007, 2nd in 2006, and 1st in 2005.

In my opinion this clearly shows the D'Antoni lead Suns were the best offensive team over those four years and an average defensive team.

Even Sam Mitchell, who many preach was a defensive-minded and tough coach, only managed 12th and 13th defensive rating in 2007 and 2008 with an offensive rating at 9th and 10th.

So what do you say? D'Antoni to Toronto?

*THIS IS OBVIOUSLY PURE SPECULATION TO GO ALONG WITH DRAFT PICK SPECULATION*
    Yes
    28.13%
    No
    71.88%
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Mar 23, 2011, 03:47 PM.

I'm on the 7 seconds or less bandwagon. That's the exact offense where Bargs would thrive.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

what phil jackson is to the triangle offense, d'antoni is to masking any team's lack of defense.. i'd totally be on board

Comment

D'Antoni is a better coach than anyone the Raptors have worked with not named Butch Carter. I would like to see him here over Jay Triano or any other assistant who would like to come here to learn the trade so he can go off somewhere else and maybe eventually be successful.

D'Antoni isn't known for defense but he is known for being tough on his players. It's his way or the highway and thats exactly what Andrea Bargnani needs. It might offer the fastest route to Bargnani becoming a consistently good player or him leaving town. I like either scenario.

Comment

I would say...maybe to D'Antoni. If we stay with our current roster and don't move Bargs then I'd be all for it. The D'Antoni system is the prefect place for a center who likes to shoot jumpers and play no D. It would also play to the talents of our wings who are super athletic and good finishers in transition and to our 4's (Ed and Amir), who are both excellent runners and offensive rebounders. I'm not sure if Jose could run such a fast system, but it would be worth a shot.

I would much rather trade Bargs and bring in a defensive minded coach. No team that plays Nelly Ball has ever won a title and I doubt we'd be the first. Still, if D'Antoni is available I'd like to see BC give him a call to see what's up.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Could Andrea, Amir and Ed eventually function similarly to Diaw, Stoudemire and Marion in a D'Antoni offense? No doubt they would need a PG upgrade.

Comment

I find it ironic, considering most ppl that post on this board abhor Toronto's defense, or lack therof, that D'Antoni is being considered.

That being said, I think it would be fun to watch.

I'd prefer Messina.

Comment

An upgrade is an upgrade.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  An upgrade is an upgrade.
                  I'm with you. I really liked what he was doing in NYC with Felton, Danilo, Amare, hell even the Ruski Mozghov.

Man, Donnie Walsh is a fool..

EDIT: make that Dolan is a fool!

Comment

I don't know if he is the right guy for a young, rebuilding team or why he would want a job with such a gawdawful roster to coach. Having said that, he's a massive upgrade over Triano and co.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      I find it ironic, considering most ppl that post on this board abhor Toronto's defense, or lack therof, that D'Antoni is being considered.

That being said, I think it would be fun to watch.

I'd prefer Messina.
                      Paul did you read the post? I'm ignoring his time with the NYK because the roster has been gutted since he got there and has never had the players to fit his style.

His teams in PHX gave up a lot of points per game because of the offense. The other team has more possessions per game. When you break the points down to per 100 possessions they were right around the middle of the league.

Average defense combined with the best offense is a compelling case for D'Antoni and Colangelo.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Paul did you read the post? I'm ignoring his time with the NYK because the roster has been gutted since he got there and has never had the players to fit his style.

His teams in PHX gave up a lot of points per game because of the offense. The other team has more possessions per game. When you break the points down to per 100 possessions they were right around the middle of the league.

Average defense combined with the best offense is a compelling case for D'Antoni and Colangelo.
                        I did read it. And I will add to it:
                        1. I loved the Suns
                        2. 7 Seconds or Less: amazing book, every hoops fan should read it.
                        3. I actually LIKED what he did in NYC as well, I think he was building something nice there pre-Melo trade

I like D'Antoni, BUT, for those fans preaching D, this is not the solution. For those fans wanting high paced, high scoring, exciting hoops, D'Antoni is the guy.

Comment

I'd take him over Triano but that's not really saying a lot.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                            I like D'Antoni, BUT, for those fans preaching D, this is not the solution. For those fans wanting high paced, high scoring, exciting hoops, D'Antoni is the guy.
                            I still don't think you see what I'm saying regarding the defensive rating.

As a coach he gets great offensive production and average defensive production per 100 possessions.

I hear what you are saying though however when one takes in to consideration the number of possessions the other team gets it is understandable. Personally, I would much rather D'Antoni (great O, average D) versus Skiles (great D, awful O) per 100 possessions.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I still don't think you see what I'm saying regarding the defensive rating.

As a coach he gets great offensive production and average defensive production per 100 possessions.

I hear what you are saying though however when one takes in to consideration the number of possessions the other team gets it is understandable. Personally, I would much rather D'Antoni (great O, average D) versus Skiles (great D, awful O) per 100 possessions.
                              Well, I mean, he is not a "defense oriented" coach a la Thibs, Skiles, Doc, etc.

I agree with you, I would LIKE to see D'Antoni here, don't get me wrong. He might not appeal to those ppl who are screaming all D, all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X