Trade high draft pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
    +1 If teams are down on this draft, then valuations for the picks are down...good opportunity to grab another pick on the cheap.
    You would recommend this even if the balls fell our way and we nabbed the first or second pick? As well there comes a time in a young team's evolution when stockpiling draft picks becomes counterproductive (if used not to acquire experience).

Comment

I need the Raps to keep their draft pick if only because the draft is pretty exciting and I really want to see where we end up in the lottery (maybe another #1 pick!) and who we draft. It would be pretty sucky to miss this. So, please don't trade away our draft pick.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Will the Raptors be better positioned trading down in the 2011 draft?

The question BC should be asking himself if the Toronto Raptors win the number one pick in the 2011 draft - do we draft Kyrie Irving and only plug one position out of 3 positions (PG,SF and C) of weakness on this Raptor team or we go the trade route for a Raymond Felton and one of Wilson Chandler, Afflalo or JR Smith (former two preferred imo) from a Bargs+Jose+spare parts or a Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol offer sheet signing and plug the three positions all at once in the draft by trading down the #1 pick for say a 3-5 pick to get Harrison Barnes or Derrick Williams in that order and a later pick for Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight in that order or Enes Kanter or Valaciunas? That is the million dollar question . Imo, I think the second option is better, that way, BC does not have to continue adding players and messing up team chemistry. The depth chart should be like this:-

PG Raymond Felton or Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight (starting)
        SF Wilson Chandler or Aaron Afflalo or Harrison Barnes or Derrick Williams (starting)
        C Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol or Valaciunas or Enes Kanter (passed medical) (starting)

Comment

First off Barnes is going back to UNC.
          Second, I think if we get the number 1 pick we roll the dice with Irving.
          Third, if we get a pick in the 3-6 range I am sure we will explore our options, it may be a good time to a player we don't see being part of our future.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Regardless of how well Bayless is playing if Irving is there you have to take him. I don't think you guys realize how good hes going to be.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

HOWEVER, with Barnes staying in school if Irving is off the board then yeah I'd certainly look to trade down.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Is this all a moot point? Would the Raptors even be able to trade their pick before the following two pieces of information are known:

1) Where we will be drafting
                2) Who has declared for the draft

Once we know those two things, then the Raptors be able to strategically plan how to proceed with the draft, ie. whether to trade down or use the pick.

My personal opinion is that it would need to be a blow away offer in order to move the pick. Colangelo has used that as the carrot in front of our eyes all season to keep us moving forward. For that reason I can't see Colangelo moving the pick. With the draft looking like it could yield a few higher quality talents, followed by a fairly steep drop off, moving down is not very appealing.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

No. Valanciunas whether it is with pick 2 or pick 5.

Comment

Barnes staying has really screwed things up for us
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      No. Valanciunas whether it is with pick 2 or pick 5.
                      Just to clarify, did you mean "no" you don't want Valciunas or "no" to everyone but Valciunas?
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Whether it is fair or not I'm not sure the fanbase will buy tickets to support a new Euro Center. With Barnes going back, Williams talking about going back...this draft is going to be Irving (who may go back because he barely played), Kemba, Jimmer, Kawhi Leanord (m/s) Valciunas, Kanter, the kid from Syracuse, and the 2 kids from Texas... That's 7 or 8 kids...and the lottery is majorly over paying for alll of them but Kyrie. I would trade out for a mature player. Seriously, Kahwi may be rookie of the year -- that's scary.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          Just to clarify, did you mean "no" you don't want Valciunas or "no" to everyone but Valciunas?
                          I do want Valanciunas.

I assume whoever has #1 will take Irving - in that case I want Valanciunas.

If the Raps have #1, bring on Irving.

For me I'm on the "Irving/Valanciunas or BUST!" bandwagon.

Comment

I do want Valanciunas.

If they really want to get rid of Bargnani this is the easiest way to transition. They could draft him and then trade Bargnani for a wing. Big men are typically valued more than wings and there is an old school unwritten rule that you never trade a big man for a wing or guard. The Raptors could take advantage of this. Colangelo did it once before in Tornoto to make room for Bargnani and drew criticism from some in the American media. He moved Charlie V for TJ Ford. If not for TJ's health problems the Raptors would be obvious clear cut winners of that one.

Comment

I do want Valanciunas.

I'm on board, the dude look like exactly the kind of guy we need. He will also hopefully shut up the "Euro's are all soft" crowd.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

If that guy doesn't pan out someone will assassinate BC for drafting him.

I'd say take D Williams, Irving or trade down and get Knight/Walker/Fredette/Valancinas (if he's there) and another pick or player.

Comment

Working...
                                X