Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chemistry issues? Nah. Leandro and Reggie were holding hands down the tunnel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey
    replied
    It's hard to determine how 'tongue-in-cheek' that first one is from MSNBC.

I have a feeling it's almost done in a 'Stephen Colbert' fashion.
    If not, then brutal. They all need to lighten up.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Another classic case of people with no sense of humour whatsoever, at all, period. What a joke. These articles are all inthe last day or two. Do these people actually take themselves this seriously?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/426723...relationships/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/rapto...ans-hold-hands

It is common for athletes to slap a teammate's butt or hug when something good happens. But hold hands? That's a first -- especially in the chest-pounding, macho world of professional sports. And the tender moment was captured on videotape.
    It happened earlier this month following a Toronto Raptors win over the Orlando Magic. Raptors teammates Leandro Barbosa and Reggie Evans were walking through the tunnel back to the lockerroom when Barbosa reached down and clasped Evans's hand. Evans looked down and laughed as the two walked away hand-in-hand.
    While American heterosexual men rarely hold hands in public (or private, for that matter) Barbosa is Brazilian, so maybe that gesture is common there.
    It is common for men in some South American countries and in Europe to kiss. There are tales of American basketball players who play in Europe who have gotten used to a teammate planting a kiss on them after a basket. It is strange at first, but they seem to adjust.
    Here is the video. As a report from NBC's Today.com points out, YouTube took the measure of shutting down comments on the video, perhaps to head off any offensive remarks:
    And then there is the other extreme:
    http://thestir.cafemom.com/sports/11...men_hold_hands

Well, that's it. The Fat Lady has sung. Elvis has left the building. The world of sports is about to come tumbling down like the halls of Jericho. And all because two Toronto Raptors, guard Leandro Barbosa and power forward Reggie Evans, held hands after a win over the Orlando Magic. Sounds like the end of the he-man world of sports, right?

I mean, a finger lock makes the two guys totally (lowers voice and looks around) GAY? Which everyone knows makes you a limp-wristed nancy boy with impeccable taste in fashion AND the last one to be picked for the team in gym class. DUH. Gay boys can't play sports. Just ask Olympic gold medalist and homo Greg Louganis. Oh ... wait. I guess they can ... just check these guys out!

Did you SEE that? Two guys who just WON an NBA game ... celebrating ... together! They're acting like, well, teammates.

That gay men and lesbians have just as much of a chance of being born with extraordinary athletic talent as the rest of us is actually beside the point in the hoopla that's followed Barbosa and Evans' little hand hockey. Because neither, it will surprise the gay-fraid world, is gay. The Brazilian-born Barbosa was once linked to Brazilian actress Samara Felippo, mother of his toddler daughter, and was more recently the center of a bona fide sex scandal with player Steve Nash's wife ... a red-blooded American WOMAN. Evans is a father of two daughters -- born to a woman named Joy with whom he ostensibly engaged in heterosexual sex.

Imagine! Two men being affectionate who are not gay. Louganis would be so proud.

I don't know about you, but while folks like blogger Terez Owens are shaking in their homophobic boots about how "gay" these guys are being, I didn't see it. I saw two guys who play on the same team, who spend inordinate amounts of time together, away from their nuclear families. Like policemen, like firefighters, professional athletes form a new family with the people they put time in with while on the road. Teammates become more like brothers than their own real brothers.

Real brothers aren't afraid to touch each other, even show affection. True, they're protected by blood from scaredy cats ranting about homosexuality. But a good fan would apply the same rubric to their favorite athletes (a good person would to, you know, ANYONE, but I know that's asking a lot). It's the ties that bind the brothers on a basketball team that make them a good team. Two guys who can't stand each other don't make for good sharers on the court. Stars have been traded for less.

So maybe the Raptors are on to something. After all, nothing says love like a Mom or Dad with their tot's hand in theirs. If you put that kind of love on a court, those guys can work magic ... literally (they did kick Orlando's @ss after all).

What do you think? Should more athletes hold hands or is it "too gay"?

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    You're a little late. Moving this.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    Barbosa and Evans lol

well at least its not a Chris Bosh man hug but still.......

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    I think he meant East of Yonge Street.
    Or East of Bangkok... hahah

Leave a comment:

• RaptorDan
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    How far east are we talking about here because it's seen as an intimate thing in Halifax or St.John's.
    I think he meant East of Yonge Street.

Leave a comment:

• heinz57
    replied
    LOL you're too kind. It just felt right. The only thing I could think to improve on it would be to insert that song by Akon and Michael Jackson.
    LOL... in my head "summer lovin" from Grease was playing in the background of that pic

Leave a comment:

• Multipaul
    replied
    LOL you're too kind. It just felt right. The only thing I could think to improve on it would be to insert that song by Akon and Michael Jackson.
    OMG, if you could do that and make it an animated gif that would be crazy!

or put that Fridday Fridaday Fridaaayyy song over it

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    heinz57 wrote: View Post
    you, sir, are a comedic genius.
    Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Apollo, that is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Raptors_13
    replied
    http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/

Leave a comment:

• Multipaul
    replied
    Apollo, that is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• heinz57
    replied
    you, sir, are a comedic genius.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Summer Love

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Ha, ha, I agree. I missed the game and only saw the picture when I commented. That video gave me a good chuckle. Barbosa is a smooth operator. LOL

Anyone notice the song playing in the background while this is going on? LOL, it fits perfectly with the scene.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    jrdyck wrote: View Post
    It is. I love how Reggie looks down, looks up, looks down, looks up, grin forming the whole time, until he is cheek to cheek smiling. Funny sh!t there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X