For Whom the Bell Tolls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Maybe I'm the minority. I dont care about our record, I will try and watch every game. I support the team and the franchise. I don't care if you don't , you can go watch baseball with Mango. Sorry, I like basketball. This will get even worse come playoff time when I dont sleep at all watching playoffs.
    I know you just didn't call me out because I chose to go to a baseball game last night. You think because I didn't watch a match between 2 of the worst teams in the league with nothing to play for, that that makes me less of a fan? I think you need to choose your words more carefully and think your thoughts through throughly before you post them.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Thu Apr 7, 2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
      I know you just didn't call me out because I chose to go to a baseball game last night. You think because I didn't watch a match between 2 of the worst teams in the league with nothing to play for, that that makes me less of a fan? I think you need to choose your words more carefully and think your thoughts through throughly before you post them.
      No. I didnt call you out. I said that I watched the game. You went to the baseball game. That is a fact is it not? Why are you getting so defensive? I just said that I liked hoops, and if the other poster didnt like watching "the 78th game between 2 loser teams" then he can as well go see the Jays. Right? I mean, i dont see the point of posting on this thread if one didnt watch the game anyways, that's like writing a Raptors roll call based on what they read in the newspaper the next day.

Comment

our best player ( amir ) was not playing so it made things harder especially with calderon not 100% they did almost come back in the 2nd half though

Comment

raptorsking wrote: View Post
          our best player ( amir ) was not playing so it made things harder especially with calderon not 100% they did almost come back in the 2nd half though
          That was our starters for the night vs their bench. They put in Baron and he sealed their victory.

Comment

What's worse, this was at home, vs another scrub of a team like the Wiz. damn.
            Thats a good point to bring up.

The only thing I would ask is losing to the Cavs or winning that game going to make much of a difference to those same season ticket holders and affect them for re-upping or not?

You could be right and maybe it does but I get a genuine feel from the fan base that they will be happy when this season ends as they are more interested in the off-season activites than anything happening on the court right now.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              The way that this team plays, especially this year, no game is a gimme game or a game that they should automatically win. It's not like Toronto is a vastly superior team than Cleveland. No fan likes to see their team lose at home, but to think of any game for this team as an automatic win is foolish.

And why on God's green earth would you think that they would lose/tank on purpose? It's not like there's a Durant, James, Wall in this draft. Like I said before, the team is probably tired, we've gotten hit by a rash of injuries, and with the lack of talent on this team, losing is gonna happen more often than not.
              The fact that they almost won against Chicago and won against Orlando, i was expecting that theyd put away the Cavs, but thats just me.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post

The only thing I would ask is losing to the Cavs or winning that game going to make much of a difference to those same season ticket holders and affect them for re-upping or not?

You could be right and maybe it does but I get a genuine feel from the fan base that they will be happy when this season ends as they are more interested in the off-season activites than anything happening on the court right now.
                Well, it certainly isn't helping matters. Maybe as a die hard fan, I take it badly.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post

I think its different when you actually go to the game vs. sitting at home and watching on the telly.
                  I went to the Utah game and eventhough i know they have no chance of making it to the playoffs, it wouldve still felt good to go home knowing your home team won the game. Cant really explain why, i guess maybe its the sense of satisfaction resulting from driving an hr to get to the game, sitting for 3 hours and then looking down at your son after he asked you "did they win??". the fact that you as a fan feel as much a part of this loss, makes it kinda hard. hahaha melodramatic i know but thats how it was for me.

last paragraph: totally where im at right now, hehehe.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    I think its different when you actually go to the game vs. sitting at home and watching on the telly.
                    I went to the Utah game and eventhough i know they have no chance of making it to the playoffs, it wouldve still felt good to go home knowing your home team won the game. Cant really explain why, i guess maybe its the sense of satisfaction resulting from driving an hr to get to the game, sitting for 3 hours and then looking down at your son after he asked you "did they win??". the fact that you as a fan feel as much a part of this loss, makes it kinda hard. hahaha melodramatic i know but thats how it was for me.

last paragraph: totally where im at right now, hehehe.
                    I hear ya man. I feel bad for those few thousand souls that went out to suppor their team and were treated to that shellacking. Especially the kids. What do you tell them - "It's ok to make millions and not try hard for your fans since you are already out of the playoffs"

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      I am pretty sure casual fans wrote this season off a long time ago. Between the Leafs playoff push and the excitement around the Jays I suspect that Raptors are at best an afterthought in the minds of sports fans in Toronto. Only hardcore fans are paying attention anymore and even we all know these games are meaningless.

Not sure if you're actually worked up about game 78 for a 20-win team playing its 4th game in 5 nights on a back-to-back without a bunch of key players but if your professed outrage is truly legitimate then you really need to stop watching the Raptors and go do some other stuff in your life. If you're just trying to play devil's advocate then that's kinda sad, too.
                      It's funny cause i used to think that too. But i was listening to the news in the morning and they said that more people came to the raptors game than the jays game. They said that people in toronto and the GTA prefer hoops more than any other sport. Then the sports guy started insulting the raptors saying we were shooting like drunk sailors or sumthing. I was very suprised to hear this cause i thought people here preferred hockey or baseball more than basketball, guess i was wrong.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                        It's funny cause i used to think that too. But i was listening to the news in the morning and they said that more people came to the raptors game than the jays game. They said that people in toronto and the GTA prefer hoops more than any other sport. Then the sports guy started insulting the raptors saying we were shooting like drunk sailors or sumthing. I was very suprised to hear this cause i thought people here preferred hockey or baseball more than basketball, guess i was wrong.
                        I think it a generational and diversity thing. Young kids with different global backgrounds might not be as interested in hockey or baseball. Personally I think hoops, soccer, and MMA are the way to go! And PS3!

Comment

multipaul wrote: View Post
                          i think it a generational and diversity thing. Young kids with different global backgrounds might not be as interested in hockey or baseball. Personally i think hoops, soccer, and mma are the way to go! And ps3!
                          yup

Comment

No. I didnt call you out. I said that I watched the game. You went to the baseball game. That is a fact is it not? Why are you getting so defensive? I just said that I liked hoops, and if the other poster didnt like watching "the 78th game between 2 loser teams" then he can as well go see the Jays. Right? I mean, i dont see the point of posting on this thread if one didnt watch the game anyways, that's like writing a Raptors roll call based on what they read in the newspaper the next day.
                            Come on man. I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night. When you make statements like "I support the team and the franchise. I don't care if you don't , you can go watch baseball with Mango. Sorry, I like basketball". Why even bring up my name? What does me going to a baseball game have anything to do with your point? I'd stop trying to stir the pot if I were you.

Comment

As a fan, I would like to see my coach get angry if he sees a poor effort. We expect the same from the coaches of every othe MLSE franchise, and if anything , at least they deliver on that. Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, Riley in his day, Skiles, Frank, Rivers, Thibodeau, JVG, SVG, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, Avery Johnson, hell Smitch, all of them knew when and how to make a point when they dont like what they see. These coaches have also coached into the playoffs and right to the top. They wouldnt put up with BS on the court even if their players thought they "couldnt get up for the game".

JT does not posess this penchant, either by design or by choice.

BTW, if , as a fan, lets say I buy tickets, $200 for a pair, and show up to watch that! As a dedicated fan, I will be pissed, but I know I will be back. The casual fan? Doubt it.
                              Those coaches you mentioned, for the most part, coached and have coached far more talented teams. Triano has gotten angry on many occasions, but how many times can you do it in a 21 win season before players start tuning you out? That has been the big problem of guys like DOug Collins (in his early years), Mike Fratello and others like them that get in player's faces. After a while, it just doesn't work anymore. When you're got a good team, you can use your outbursts sparingly and they have far more effect.

How many of those coaches coached teams with this little talent, and how many of them lasted very long doing it?
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Those coaches you mentioned, for the most part, coached and have coached far more talented teams. Triano has gotten angry on many occasions, but how many times can you do it in a 21 win season before players start tuning you out? That has been the big problem of guys like DOug Collins (in his early years), Mike Fratello and others like them that get in player's faces. After a while, it just doesn't work anymore. When you're got a good team, you can use your outbursts sparingly and they have far more effect.

How many of those coaches coached teams with this little talent, and how many of them lasted very long doing it?
                                Those are all good points. I think alot of them have survived with bad teams, got fired, then lead other teams to greater success.

So much like Statophile's point, the quality of players matters alot.

I would amend that to say that quality of coaching can enhance the quality of players, especially young players, as they are molding them into the players they are yet to become. Nature+nurture. I personally think the Raptors underperformed this year due to poor x's and o's to a large extent.

Collins did a pretty good job in Philly this year though, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X