Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What if ?

    What if the whole 2011-2012 season is cancelled ? Does anyone know how the 2012 Draft will work ? Will we keep our 2011 draft rank ? That could be quite awesome if we get lucky with the lotto balls...

  • #2
    hopefully not or i'm going to be bored next year.

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree that this would be a high cost to pay. But if we get two #1 picks in a row, that'd be a good reward.

      Comment


      • #4
        The draft will go regardless. The CBA doesn't expire until July, and the Draft is in June. But once those players are drafted, and IF the CBA expires without a new one in place, they will not be paid until Play resumes.
        They will however, maintain their Rookie Level Salary depending on where they are drafted, right through the end of the Usual Rookie Contract. This is how I understand it anyway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Fanchie wrote: View Post
          What if the whole 2011-2012 season is cancelled ? Does anyone know how the 2012 Draft will work ? Will we keep our 2011 draft rank ? That could be quite awesome if we get lucky with the lotto balls...
          I think it will be much like the NHL when their season was cancelled back in 2004-05 and had to decide on the draft order - all teams will go into a lottery to determine order.

          Comment


          • #6
            MangoKid wrote: View Post
            I think it will be much like the NHL when their season was cancelled back in 2004-05 and had to decide on the draft order - all teams will go into a lottery to determine order.
            So the Heat could get the #1 pick in a stacked draft. Creepy.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would like to hope that if they do an entire NBA lottery for seeding that weight would be put in favour of those teams that had loosing records in the last season played. The NBA knows that Miami, Chicago, OKC, LA, among others are still going to be playoff teams, no need to give them an equal shot at winning the first pick in the draft.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

              Comment


              • #8
                Fanchie wrote: View Post
                So the Heat could get the #1 pick in a stacked draft. Creepy.
                They could... here's how the NHL lottery for the draft played out that year...

                What makes this year's draft intriguing is that any of the NHL's 30 teams have a shot at landing the No. 1 pick.

                Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.
                LINK

                So, a team like the Heat would have a shot, but they'd have fewer ping pong balls.
                At the NHL draft that year, the draft order they went by was a snake draft, so whoever had the last selection of the 1st round also had the 1st pick of the second round.
                Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is the lockout likely to happen (in missed games) or will it most likely get resolved before the games start?
                  @sweatpantsjer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, no, actually Miami would have no shot if it went according to the proposed criteria of losing 1 ball out of 3 for each playoff appearance in the past 3 years or 1st overall pick in the past 4 years.

                    Teams that would have no balls in the lottery (if it went NHL style, not including - obviously - whoever wins this years lottery):

                    Boston
                    Chicago (2 playoffs + 1st pick in 2008)
                    Atlanta
                    Orlando
                    Miami
                    LA Lakers
                    San Antonio
                    Dallas
                    Denver
                    Portland

                    One ball in the lottery:

                    Philadelphia
                    Cleveland
                    Utah
                    Phoenix
                    OKC
                    New Orleans

                    Two balls in the lottery:

                    Charlotte
                    Milwaukee
                    LA Clippers (1st pick in 2009)
                    Washington (1st pick 2010)
                    Detroit
                    Memphis
                    Indiana
                    New York
                    Houston

                    Three balls in the lottery:

                    Toronto
                    Minnesota
                    New Jersey
                    Golden State
                    Sacramento
                    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Tue Apr 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Answer

                      Fanchie wrote: View Post
                      What if the whole 2011-2012 season is cancelled ? Does anyone know how the 2012 Draft will work ? Will we keep our 2011 draft rank ? That could be quite awesome if we get lucky with the lotto balls...
                      The draft takes place before the CBA runs out. The draft itself will not be effected by the lockout. The rookie's looking to sign contracts will have to wait until after the lockout is over to sign their deals.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                        Well, no, actually Miami would have no shot if it went according to the proposed criteria of losing 1 ball out of 3 for each playoff appearance in the past 3 years or 1st overall pick in the past 4 years.
                        The NHL draft was actually set up so that you couldn't lose all your balls. You either had 3, 2, or 1 balls.
                        http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401

                        Basically, all the teams that you listed as having 0 balls would have 1.
                        That said, even the teams that have 3 balls would only a 6.25% chance of winning the lottery. I think the Raps would have better odds at a high draft pick through a regular or shortened season vs. this type of lottery.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          But this is all how the Selection process would work for NEXT years draft if there was a lockout.
                          Then you need some sort of system to determine rank, as the games didn't allow for that.
                          But THIS upcoming draft, will not be affected by the Lockout.
                          Except of course, as Apollo mentioned, if the contracts are not signed by the time the Lockout is put into effect.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very good point Joey. In the case of a full year lockout who knows how next season's draft would work out. Maybe a 30 ball, 30 team lottery would be fair?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Apollo wrote: View Post
                              The draft takes place before the CBA runs out. The draft itself will not be effected by the lockout. The rookie's looking to sign contracts will have to wait until after the lockout is over to sign their deals.
                              Well I've been talking about the 2012 Draft all along, not this year's...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X