Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silvestri Making the Raptors Look Dysfunctional to Rival NBA Executive?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    smushmush wrote: View Post
    How is Silvestri a douchebag? lol. In your place of work Joey, do you get rewarded for bad performance? If yes, I don't need to talk any further (Hint - you are a workplace darling, that creates a toxic working environment ). If no, why should BC with his terrible team record, failed signings, no regards for defense and the Bargs pampering (all benchmarks of a GM's performance) get a two year extension (when he could have been fired already if he was with a United States NBA team lol) let alone the 5 year extension he wants at thesame salary? ***. What is Toronto sport fan's problem with enduring pain? (Evidence - the Maple Laffs soldout games and now pinning for an inept and underachieving GM to get a long term extension at thesame salary ***. As if that were not painful enough, Toronto sport fans wasted the Toronto Blue Jays' prime years with another used car salesman in the BC mold - JP Ricciardi lol. Hmm, I am starting to think that Toronto sport fans are masochists at heart .).
    Colangelo isn't a "worker", he's the president of a corporate entity and I can say with certainty that successful corporations don't let competent presidents go without having someone better lined up to take over. Hell, they wouldn't let an incompetent one go either if they don't have someone else lined up who is better. MLSE has no one lined up and probably no plan. I say this because everyone on the board besides Silvestri is on board with bringing Colangelo back.

    Comment


    • #17
      hire pritchard

      Comment


      • #18
        Apollo wrote: View Post
        because everyone on the board besides Silvestri is on board with bringing Colangelo back.
        This is exactly my point.
        OTPP is looking to sell their Portion of shares. Why should they then be the ones to hold the decision making process hostage.
        And not even all of OTPP. Just the Accountant.



        Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
        hire pritchard
        I'm not so sure he is any better than Colangelo. He's made just as many (if not far more) questionable decisions. I've pointed them out in threads past, and don't really feel like looking up exactly which ones. But they are there, and they are numerous none the less.

        Comment


        • #19
          Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
          hire pritchard
          are you leaving us colangelo ? why would you say something like this ?

          Comment


          • #20
            Apollo wrote: View Post
            Colangelo isn't a "worker", he's the president of a corporate entity and I can say with certainty that successful corporations don't let competent presidents go without having someone better lined up to take over. Hell, they wouldn't let an incompetent one go either if they don't have someone else lined up who is better. MLSE has no one lined up and probably no plan. I say this because everyone on the board besides Silvestri is on board with bringing Colangelo back.
            I am not saying BC is a worker but we know BC is literally a worker answerable to his superiors in the CEO and Board of Directors of MLSE. Imo, there is only one way to measure a GM's success - team overall record. If that can not be used as a benchmark during a rebuild, these questions need to be asked imo:-
            1. Does the team have a respectable coach who emphasizes the right way of playing basketball a la Lawrence Frank, Scott Skiles, Nate Mcmillan, Jerry Sloan, Jeff Van Gundy, Vinny Del Negro etc ( especially on the defensive side of the court) to the
            basketball players on the team. Is accountability being enforced by the coach?
            2. Are there prospective superstars or even All-stars on the team?
            3. Are there tradeable assets and multiple draft picks (basically reset buttons in a rebuild) owned by the team?
            4. Is there a lot of redundancy on the team roster?

            Asking all those questions above evaluating BC and Triano's tenure here leaves a lot to be desired - which is why I am pinning for them to go (plus the rest of the staff, no person in management, coaching staff and players is untouchable on a 60 loss team - basically heads must roll. My 2 cents) before the team stops being a laughing tock of the league. The franchise clearly needs cleansing from top to bottom before it becomes a respectable organization and no sugar coating can mask that (that free agents want to play for) - I don't know if that is too much to ask for (however, some replies to my quote clearly shows a lot of Toronto sports fans are risk averse (hey, we don't want another Rob Babcock. Life is about risks guys - some work, some don't. My 2 cents) and are masochists at heart (hey, look at the Maple Laffs sold out games and pinning for a 5 year extension for used car salesman with horrible team record in BC)). "Nuff said.

            Comment


            • #21
              joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              This is exactly my point.
              OTPP is looking to sell their Portion of shares. Why should they then be the ones to hold the decision making process hostage.
              And not even all of OTPP. Just the Accountant.
              Makes perfect sense if OTPP is trying to sell. A new owner would ideally want the option of choosing their own GM (BC or not). If they didn't like Colangelo, then you've saddled them with a 2-3 yr contract, for example. So signing BC may reduce the number of bidders, which ultimately affects the selling price. If this is the thought process, then it's obvious why an accountant would be front and center.

              Comment


              • #22
                I wonder why Feschuk tried to throw Eversley under the bus (backstabbing wondering/giving away managerial style points etc). I hate it when columnists try to embellish their storyline with innuendo like that.

                This is a crucial time for this franchise. Because of the timing (draft, f/a signings etc), I think BC gives us the best opportunity going forward due to the continuity of management in place, knowledge of current players and probably with potential deals in place as compared to hiring someone new at this time to hit the ground running with new personnel etc. Wasnt Babcock faced with a similar situation leading him to pick Araujo (on the advice of a consultant)? A 2-3 yr. deal is probably the best compromise.

                Comment


                • #23
                  He didn't. He clearly went on to say that no backstabbing was taking place.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    This is exactly my point.
                    OTPP is looking to sell their Portion of shares. Why should they then be the ones to hold the decision making process hostage.
                    And not even all of OTPP. Just the Accountant.
                    You've obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with private equity guys. I have seen Teachers scuttle a deal to take less money (far less money) simply cause they couldn't get their own way in negotiations, so they took their ball and went home. I have seen other private equity players destroy companies they invested in for no other reason than hubris - "You won't give in to our unreasonable demands? Fine, we'll ruin everything, including our own investment".

                    Never underestimate the audacity, ego, hubris, stubborness, unreasonableness and arrogance of private equity guys. The worst thing that ever happened to the Raps was the day Teachers got control of MLSE....

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      slaw wrote: View Post
                      You've obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with private equity guys. I have seen Teachers scuttle a deal to take less money (far less money) simply cause they couldn't get their own way in negotiations, so they took their ball and went home. I have seen other private equity players destroy companies they invested in for no other reason than hubris - "You won't give in to our unreasonable demands? Fine, we'll ruin everything, including our own investment".

                      Never underestimate the audacity, ego, hubris, stubborness, unreasonableness and arrogance of private equity guys. The worst thing that ever happened to the Raps was the day Teachers got control of MLSE....
                      Being in the industry I concur 100%.
                      I wonder if Mr. Balsillie would like to own an NBA team instead of an NHL team? Hmmm...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I cannot figure out why Silvestri is a douchebag or that the teachers pension should rot in hell. If your pension contributions are mismanaged, would you be happy? They are part (albeit majority) owners that want better returns in their investments. Why is that a bad thing? Also, profits are up since Colangelo took over yet the majority owners are still unhappy? There's obviously something wrong right? I'm not going to do a rundown by the way (of BC's failures). I'm not buying this "we're screwed without BC" mindset. Portland is not screwed because Cho is at the helm, or New Orleans (which is operated by the league btw) is in trouble with their rookie GM. Don't even get me started with Masai Ujiri's phenomenal 1st year. If you think BC's gonna take a two year "we'll see" extension, guess again.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          slaw wrote: View Post
                          You've obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with private equity guys. I have seen Teachers scuttle a deal to take less money (far less money) simply cause they couldn't get their own way in negotiations, so they took their ball and went home. I have seen other private equity players destroy companies they invested in for no other reason than hubris - "You won't give in to our unreasonable demands? Fine, we'll ruin everything, including our own investment".

                          Never underestimate the audacity, ego, hubris, stubborness, unreasonableness and arrogance of private equity guys. The worst thing that ever happened to the Raps was the day Teachers got control of MLSE....
                          Well ... way to make me feel even LESS optimistic about the situation then. hahah

                          I suppose I was a little extreme in calling him a douchebag. I was more stating that its not even the entirity of the OTPP that has a problem with BC. It's juust him. He's the only one. And thats where I find it a little douchey. I understand him having a concern with returns, but they DON'T have a problem with returns. BC makes money. What else should an accountant care about?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X