Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Royce Young: Someone asked KD not to go join other stars and he responded, "I'm gonna be in Okc until they don't want me anymore! Don't worry about it." Twitter
    With the Melo saga last year and the Howard/Paul saga unfolding this year, the above is very refreshing.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Another formality done

The union representing N.B.A. players should be back in business by Friday morning, ensuring a timely completion of the league’s new labor deal and a Christmas Day opening.

At least 260 players needed to sign and return union cards by the close of business Thursday to keep the process on track. As of early Thursday afternoon, all indications were that the figure would be met. The cards are being collected and verified by the American Arbitration Association.

The process is fairly simple, because the National Basketball Players Association never really disappeared. It has been functioning for the last two weeks as a professional association, rather than a union, but with all of the same employees and contractual relationships.

Once the N.B.P.A. becomes a union again, the parties can return to the table and negotiate a number of so-called B-list items for the new labor deal. Ratification by the owners and players is expected late next week. The league is aiming to open training camps and free agency Dec. 9, with opening day set for Dec. 25.

Source: Beck, NYTimes.com

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    ESPN is reporting that Toronto and Cleveland's Traded Player Exceptions from Bosh and Lebron will still be available:

Source: @WindhorstESPN

Brian will have even more flexibility during the free agency period - I just don't expect him to use it though.
    That's very interesting... I wonder if it would be possible to use the TPE to pick up an amnestied player. The reason I think it might be possible is that from what I've heard, amnestied players are essentially waived players, and under the last CBA, teams could use their TPE to pick up waived players according to the Coon CBA FAQ (you can't use it on free agents, of course). So the Raptors could hypothetically use their current cap space to sign a UFA, and then use the TPE to pick up an amnestied player... they could, for example, use all of their cap space on a wing, then use the TPE to get an amnestied center, or vice versa. Maybe a guy who's on a one year contract, so you've still got lots of flexibility next offseason... Chris Kaman for example, if he gets amnestied. (Yeah, not the defensive center we need, but a one-year stop-gap that won't hurt our chances of a high draft pick too much.) Even though his contract is about 12 million, you should be able to just make a bid of 9 or whatever is left on the Bosh TPE, and if you win the auction, that's your cap hit.

I'm not advocating that they do this (I like the idea of going with pretty much the guys they've got under contract and a couple bench warmers), but it's one direction they could go.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    NBA, plsyers settle antitrust suit?

ZachLowe_SI Zach Lowe
    Multiple sources confirm NBA, players settled the players' antitrust suit last night, pending re-formation of the union. Post up soon.
    It would appear they are a few days ahead of schedule?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Bosh's TPE still in play?

ESPN is reporting that Toronto and Cleveland's Traded Player Exceptions from Bosh and Lebron will still be available:

Not finalized,but NBA execs expecting to get lost time back on trade exceptions that expired in lockout.Biggest is Cavs $14.5M (9 days left)
    Source: @WindhorstESPN

Brian will have even more flexibility during the free agency period - I just don't expect him to use it though.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Source: NBA.com

This is the equivalent of the period between July 1st and July 9th each year. Get ready for rumour-ville!
    Also equivalent to the September-October period when the players can come in early and use the teams facilities and training staff to start ramping up their conditioning before the camps open. Glad to see it happening.

Puffer

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    For the first time since the lockout began on July 1, NBA players are going to be welcomed back to their team facilities, said league spokesman Tim Frank. The league sent a memo to clubs Tuesday announcing the move, plus giving teams permission to begin speaking with agents at 9 a.m. Wednesday -- though deals cannot yet be offered, and no contracts can be signed before Dec. 9.

Teams may host "voluntary player workouts" and physicals. Training camps will not open until Dec. 9
    Source: NBA.com

This is the equivalent of the period between July 1st and July 9th each year. Get ready for rumour-ville!

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...emo/index.html

Billy Hunter's 'sell' of the settlement to players.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    did you mean over the cap but under the tax? or under the cap but a trade that takes them into the cap?
    Crap! Yes. A team under the tax but over the cap.

Leave a comment:

• GarbageTime
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Teams under the cap could trade do that, but not a team over the cap. Now, a team over the cap, but under the cap, will find it easier to make trades.

did you mean over the cap but under the tax? or under the cap but a trade that takes them into the cap?

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    so teams under the cap weren't able to trade any contract for any contract aslong as it kept them under the cap? I always though a 2 mil contract could be traded for a 10 mil contract as long as the 10 mil contract didn't put that team over the cap?
    Teams under the cap could trade do that, but not a team over the cap. Now, a team over the cap, but under the cap, will find it easier to make trades.

Leave a comment:

• GarbageTime
    replied
    so teams under the cap weren't able to trade any contract for any contract aslong as it kept them under the cap? I always though a 2 mil contract could be traded for a 10 mil contract as long as the 10 mil contract didn't put that team over the cap?

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    According to Matt's post it remains the same (as the old cba) for tax paying teams. I am starting to warm up to some of the subtleties of the agreement but its starting to feel like the govt. tax regs.
    Apparently my reading comprehension needs a little work. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Wow, that does make thing a lot easier for non-tax teams. I wonder what the rule for tax teams are going to be.

I also like them taking away those "wink-wink" deals. Those were so incredibly bogus.
    According to Matt's post it remains the same (as the old cba) for tax paying teams. I am starting to warm up to some of the subtleties of the agreement but its starting to feel like the govt. tax regs.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Source: SheridanHoops.com

The limit on cash to be included in a trade is $3M but that $3M is an annual limit for each team - not each trade. It can be sliced and diced anyway agreed upon but a team cannot spend anymore than $3M on all trades for the year.
    Wow, that does make thing a lot easier for non-tax teams. I wonder what the rule for tax teams are going to be.

I also like them taking away those "wink-wink" deals. Those were so incredibly bogus.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X