Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'm using points that don't make any sense? Really Apollo? And yes, my point was all about a twisted ankle... Indeed.

    I'm done with this. I'll let you guys solve the problem. Clearly I'm not making sense.





    I love it when people don't actually answer questions, and instead think providing a stupid analogy is an answer.

    I'd like to see you tell Iverson, or Bogut, or Garbajose, or TJ Ford or Chris Paul that a pillow fight almost cost them their career. Or when guys like Rondo dislocate their elbow, or Nash breaks his face and keeps playing.

    For you to dismiss the fact that the players put their bodies on the line is ridiculous, and to me THAT doesn't make any sense.
    I get your point on the risk that theyre taking, but does it have to take millions and millions and millions of dollars for them to be fully compensated for such risks? I dont think so. the average joe who does construction pretty much takes the same risks. I dont think the issue is injury, the issue is they have such lavish lifestyles that a salary cut or rollback will make them incapable of living that lifestyle.

    Comment


    • heinz57 wrote: View Post
      HARANGODY!?!?

      you clearly have more faith in my proposed scab league than i do.

      I was thinking Denham Brown, Trajan Langdon (if he's still alive), Carl English, etc etc... the "not worth mentioning" footnotes of the NCAA

      They could also scour the lesser known leagues... Go to the Philippines and hand pick players out of the PBA.. There are like 7 US players on the Talk 'N' Text Tropang Texters......

      and yes, thats what their team is really called... but its actually better than their old team names... the Mobiline Phone Pals and the Pepsi-Cola Mega-Bottlers
      I used to watch the PBA when i was a kid. The neighbors would all come to our house and watch the games and cheer for a team called Ginebra.

      Comment


      • heinz57 wrote: View Post
        "rich people problems" will piss me off everytime... especially when it deprives me of my own entertainment
        same here. rich people problems piss me off coz its BS compared to my poor people problems.

        Comment


        • tbihis wrote: View Post
          I used to watch the PBA when i was a kid. The neighbors would all come to our house and watch the games and cheer for a team called Ginebra.
          Ginebra is one of the most popular teams in the philippines...

          My personal favourite team name in the PBA of all time is the "Pure foods Tender Juicy Hotdogs"

          if it wasnt for the philippines, i would probably never be into basketball at all.. i'm part filipino, and when i was about 6-7 years old i spent a year over there.. having never played basketball at that point, my school pretty much forced me to play since i was a good foot or so taller than everyone else

          Comment


          • heinz57 wrote: View Post
            sure the quality of the game will go down... but seriously, f$%# millionaires who need labor unions for themselves. f$%# them right up their f$%#ing a$%&oles.
            The alternative to a PA is no PA, which means you have 450 free agents every year. You're upset about how much they make now? Wait till you see what Lebron James and Dwight Howard are worth in an open market. The owners love the PA/Owner model cause it allows them to run a nice little safe operation where they can contain costs.

            Also, are you actually upset that NBA players make millions of dollars? Why? People pay billions of dollars to watch them play. Would you be happier if the owners took 90 cents on the dollar and left the players 10? Why? What do you care?

            Comment


            • heinz57 wrote: View Post
              Ginebra is one of the most popular teams in the philippines...

              My personal favourite team name in the PBA of all time is the "Pure foods Tender Juicy Hotdogs"

              if it wasnt for the philippines, i would probably never be into basketball at all.. i'm part filipino, and when i was about 6-7 years old i spent a year over there.. having never played basketball at that point, my school pretty much forced me to play since i was a good foot or so taller than everyone else
              hahahaha yeah, they were pretty creative with the team names.

              i was a foot shorter than everybody else and i was still forced to play basketball.
              During my time, if you were a Filipino male kid and you didnt play basketball with the other kids, you were gay. People wouldnt even think that you might be gay, they would just assume you were gay. Some would even think you were retarded or have autism. Im serious. This is how serious basketball is regarded where i grew up.

              Comment


              • tbihis wrote: View Post
                I get your point on the risk that theyre taking, but does it have to take millions and millions and millions of dollars for them to be fully compensated for such risks? I dont think so. the average joe who does construction pretty much takes the same risks. I dont think the issue is injury, the issue is they have such lavish lifestyles that a salary cut or rollback will make them incapable of living that lifestyle.
                I don't buy the injury argument. Two reasons:

                1) we can all get injured on our job - tragic accidents happen all the time.

                2) player contracts are guaranteed thus they will get their money. Teams have insurance policies to protect them in case of injury. Players, if they have a clue, would have insurance policies to protect future earnings - very much like Holly Madison insuring her breasts for $1M.

                Comment


                • Heinz - scabs may be on the way for 2012-13 season.

                  Via HoopsHype.com:

                  Steve Kyler: Advice to NBA Players... when you meet on Tuesday... make a deal. Being told Stern is serious about killing season vs. patching together one Twitter


                  Steve Kyler: More than a few players have said they were told if a season is lost, NBA would opt for replacement players next season under NBA's terms. Twitter

                  The players really have no right to any revenues. They may be the product but they aren't the owners. If owners go with scabs, sure the quality of the game will go down considerably. No one may even follow anymore. But it is the right of owners to find players/workers who will work under their terms. It would take years before a league was set up and actually a threat to the NBA. Those years would see players lose money they will never get back.

                  The players better get that 50/50 offer back on the table.

                  Comment


                  • slaw wrote: View Post
                    The alternative to a PA is no PA, which means you have 450 free agents every year. You're upset about how much they make now? Wait till you see what Lebron James and Dwight Howard are worth in an open market. The owners love the PA/Owner model cause it allows them to run a nice little safe operation where they can contain costs.

                    Also, are you actually upset that NBA players make millions of dollars? Why? People pay billions of dollars to watch them play. Would you be happier if the owners took 90 cents on the dollar and left the players 10? Why? What do you care?
                    who said im upset about how much they make?

                    i'm upset that they're a bunch of millionaire whiney c$%ts... not that they're millionaires.

                    i'm upset that people who probably couldn't spell 2 words of "collective bargaining agreement negotiations" correctly feel the need to pretend that they have any sort of business sense.

                    i'm upset that dudes who make like 10 million a year, get an offer that next year will still make them 10 million a year... and probably the year after that, another 10 million a year... and so on and so forth... feel the need to hold the reason that they make those 10 million a year hostage until their bosses play nicely and give them 3%.

                    i'm upset that overpriveleged children are holding up a game that exists purely for my amusement because they feel they deserve more than the exhorbinant amount already offered to them.

                    take your millions, shut up, bounce the bloody ball and put it in the basket. simple.
                    Last edited by heinz57; Fri Oct 14, 2011, 12:54 PM.

                    Comment


                    • tbihis wrote: View Post
                      hahahaha yeah, they were pretty creative with the team names.

                      i was a foot shorter than everybody else and i was still forced to play basketball.
                      During my time, if you were a Filipino male kid and you didnt play basketball with the other kids, you were gay. People wouldnt even think that you might be gay, they would just assume you were gay. Some would even think you were retarded or have autism. Im serious. This is how serious basketball is regarded where i grew up.
                      oh my god.. filipinos are devout about that shit.. like, growning up... i couldn't go on ANY vacation and just relax... the cousins who lived wherever we went would make me and my brother play on their filipino league teams... as you probably know, they only allow a certain amount of non-filipinos.... so the chance of getting a couple 6 ft plus guys who were sorta kinda close enough to being filipino... they jumped all over it

                      i've had my ethnicity disputed a bunch of times by opposing teams.. and had to break out my passport to show my full name, because my last name is clearly not filipino

                      Comment


                      • slaw wrote: View Post
                        Also, are you actually upset that NBA players make millions of dollars? Why? People pay billions of dollars to watch them play. Would you be happier if the owners took 90 cents on the dollar and left the players 10? Why? What do you care?
                        Thank you!! My point exactly!!

                        Comment


                        • joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Thank you!! My point exactly!!
                          Im not pissed off at the fact that they make millions, but the fact that they dont want to agree to the deal because they want to make more millions. I could care less if they start earning billions of dollars per season as long as the owners are willing to pay them as such. But it irks me that theyre already earning millions yet they want to get more, and this stupid greediness is what is killing me of boredom coz i cant watch the NBA but f*ck that, what's more critical is the fact that those minimum wage earners are not able to put food on the table because the arenas are closed because there is no NBA. plus the low salary players who really have no other option but basketball are starving as well along with their families.

                          Comment


                          • tbihis wrote: View Post
                            Im not pissed off at the fact that they make millions, but the fact that they dont want to agree to the deal because they want to make more millions. I could care less if they start earning billions of dollars per season as long as the owners are willing to pay them as such. But it irks me that theyre already earning millions yet they want to get more, and this stupid greediness is what is killing me of boredom coz i cant watch the NBA but f*ck that, what's more critical is the fact that those minimum wage earners are not able to put food on the table because the arenas are closed because there is no NBA. plus the low salary players who really have no other option but basketball are starving as well along with their families.
                            Actually, in the players defense, they have offered to take less.

                            The dispute is the owners believe they are still not getting enough of the revenues for each team to have an opportunity to at least break even and for each team to have an equal opportunity to contend.

                            Comment


                            • So BRI isn't the biggest issue?

                              Stern said the division of basketball-related income is not the biggest stumbling block. The players have agreed to come down from 57 percent to 53 percent, while the owners are looking for 53 percent on their side.

                              Stern also lamented the influence on the negotiations of agents, who are directly impacted by any agreement and have discussed decertification with players and union chief Billy Hunter.
                              Maybe Stern and Hunter can find common ground through meddling by agents?? Hunter has had comments that reflect his annoyance with them, as well.

                              If the owners offer the players a hard cap at 53% of BRI (which would be about $70.7M) I really do not understand why the players would turn it down. It would eliminate the 8% holdback of player salaries. It would also raise the salary cap by nearly $13M for every team: that is another near $390M per season added in player salaries without exemptions. Considering the amount of money spent over the luxury tax was around $120M, that is a good deal for players.

                              Comment


                              • Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Actually, in the players defense, they have offered to take less.

                                The dispute is the owners believe they are still not getting enough of the revenues for each team to have an opportunity to at least break even and for each team to have an equal opportunity to contend.
                                Well didnt the owners offer 50/50 and they still didnt want to take it?
                                Even if the owners want 53, i think theyre still entitled to it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X