Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course all this relies on believing owners are losing money on an operational basis. If you don't believe that then I guess it really doesn't matter.
    I don't believe that for a second, I think the premise is deeply flawed without the books. They would have to be totally inept. Stern would have to have a worse revenue streams than the NHL, because he is acting like the league is much worse off than a hockey league that has not had national tv contract for a while, and whose player expenses are close to the NBA and which has 1/10th the revenue or popularity, and which is doing better than the NBA according the Srern's figures. Something is very wrong with these numbers.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What Raskin fails to realize is real inflation over the last 4 years (the way numbers used to be calculated and before necessities such as food or energy are removed from current government inflation numbers) is running at about 8-10% annually or over 35% the last 4 years. Of course other expenses are going to go up. I'm sure the average fan who pays bills can relate to this - I can.
    Where you getting these numbers? Those are some of the highest inflation numbers I have seen. It would be stupid to buy treasuries with numbers like that.

Commodities have certainly increased, but there have a been a lot of decreases in costs as well.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jul 20, 2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• The NBA has become the most popular American sports league in China thanks largely to Yao Ming, and that devotion has generated rapid economic growth for NBA China.

Goldman Sachs valued NBA China at $2.3 billion when it launched in 2008, and its revenues are estimated between $150 and $170 million, according to a Sports Business Daily report last year.

It remains unclear how Yao’s departure will affect the NBA’s marketability in China, although a recent poll on Weibo, the Chinese equivalent to Twitter with more than 21 / 2 times the subscribers, indicated that 57 percent surveyed would stop watching if Yao retired.
      http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214806

Those China numbers are nice. AT 2.3 Billion value, its like 2-3 NA franchises. Yet times keep getting tougher for the NBA... things that make you question the propensity of league greed.

BTW, it is the players that forged that market. They were asked to go there and to represent. Once they build it and set it up for the league, the league locked them out. I don't even see the point of players promoting the game with the way STERN and the league have been behaving.

They can't seem to run these Billion dollar properties in any meaningful way to help the players. This was not there during the Jordan era.

EDIT: Just makes you sick, players giving up summers, setting up training camps, and PR events to grow markets, and Stern and friends lock them out, while their world ownership prospers and their accountants cook the books to SCREW the players on another CBA. When will this midget get ousted?

EDIT2: Right now one of the hottest investments is to go to China and buy property in a region where there is high demand and rent it out. You get paid in Yuan and save it in a Yuan denominated account. You make money off the property appreciation, as well as the currency conversion since the Yuan is seriously undervalued and will continue to make significant gains. So the combination is quite the return (you are hedging against the dollars slippage this way as well). Basically any capital in China is a cherry on top for the NBA.
      Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jul 20, 2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
        I don't believe that for a second, I think the premise is deeply flawed without the books. They would have to be totally inept. Stern would have to have a worse revenue streams than the NHL, because he is acting like the league is much worse off than a hockey league that has not had national tv contract for a while, and whose player expenses are close to the NBA and which has 1/10th the revenue or popularity, and which is doing better than the NBA according the Srern's figures. Something is very wrong with these numbers.

Where you getting these numbers? Those are some of the highest inflation numbers I have seen. It would be stupid to buy treasuries with numbers like that.

Commodities have certainly increased, but there have a been a lot of decreases in costs as well.
        http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post94057

What decreases in cost have there been?

Commodities (energy, food, materials) have all soared in the last 10 years due to a US monetary policy that has them devaluing their currency as fast as they can (actually this has become a world sport but the US does it better than others it appears). Go to any stock chart site (freestockcharts.com for example) and type in the symbol DXY and look at it over a monthly span (DXY is a basket of 6 currencies weighted against the US dollar). Since the US dollar is the world reserve currency when it decreases costs of everything else increase as that is the currency transactions are settled in.

As for treasuries why do you think the US formula have changed? What US citizen would purchase a t-bill with a 2-3% yield when inflation is running near double digits? How long would US citizens stand near double digit inflation with no growth in their own income if this was official government stats? Think about it - the Consumer Price Index does not include food or energy..... food or energy..... those are the two building blocks of anything and everything.

Anyways, you don't believe the NBA or Stern and I don't believe world leaders or their governments. *shrug*

Comment

• ...but you shouldn't go out and make up inflation numbers. I kind of agree with you on this point, but if I want to play the scientific card about your inflation numbers, I could easily dismiss them.

Energy and commodities have gone up. Computers, tech toys have gone down in price. Housing for a lot of people has also gone down in price in the US. Cars have gone down in price, communication costs have gone down in price (voip/internet). Entertainment costs have gone down in price (streaming/you tube). I would even say internet connections + speed have gone down in price, depending on how vigilant you are to get a good deal.

Yes, I agree with you our currency has been devalued. Canadian Gov likes to buy US treasuries because it keeps are currency pegged to the US dollar. For trade reasons. In fact, if you sold your house 20 years ago, and took that wealth to China or Eastern Europe, you could of bought 20 houses. Now you would be lucky to buy 2.

In times like these, when you have the US fed printing money to keep home owners above a certain foreclosure line, so that the thing does not fall apart, you want to divest out of money. Ideally metals and mining companies (those with future mining rights, because the mineral that is sitting in a future patch, can contribute to overall company profit when prices go up, even if its still in the ground - so if you invest make sure the company holds multiple future stakes).

However these pressures, only mean that cash positions are stupid. So you want to convert revenue into a capital base, this way you let your money appreciate as fast as the money is losing value due to QE measures. So these forces you talk about would only encourage owners to spend their revenues on capital expenses.
          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jul 21, 2011, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• How much money do you spend on commodities each year? How much on computers?

What good are lower house prices to those who already have homes(long term mortgages)? What good are lower house prices to the rest seeing how they can't find work? The real unemployment rate in the U.S. is close to 20%.
            That's great for people who dodn't already own homes. It's too bad that most of those who don't currently homes can't find employment. If you want to gauge where the economy is at you need to look at the things that really matter.
            • Food, water and energy prices are going through the roof.
            • Taxes are going up.
            • Unemployment rates (real unemployment rate in U.S. close to 20%)
            • Social assistance (U.S. government is pulling the plug on EI for new cases)
            • Devaluation of the dollar (Gold and silver aren't rising in value, the American dollar and most other currencies are losing purchasing power).
            Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jul 21, 2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: Thought I deleted my post by mistake but thankfully somebody quoted me. Restored. :)

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              How much money do you spend on computers per year? How much money do you spend on commodities each year?
              I spend a lot on computers and technology, it is my bread and butter. It's really cheap for me to do things I could not do before, because the hardware investment would have been prohibitive. I have 3 screens on my setup at home, HD news feeds coming in live all the time. As I write this message I am listening to world news. (point is stuff is incredibly cheap, if you know how to be productive with technology. You can invest from home, you can design software, aps, websites... lots of possibilities, and start up is almost zero. You just have to be good.)

That's great for people who dodn't already own homes. It's too bad that most of those who don't currently homes can't find employment. If you want to gauge where the economy is at you need to look at the things that really matter.
              • Food, water and energy prices are going through the roof.
              • Taxes are going up.
              • Unemployment rates (real unemployment rate in U.S. close to 20%)
              • Social assistance (U.S. government is pulling the plug on EI for new cases)
              • Devaluation of the dollar (Gold and silver aren't rising in value, the American dollar and most other currencies are losing purchasing power).

The middle class is the life blood of economies throughout the world and the very rich and powerful have been on a relentless attack against the middle class. Especially in the U.S. where the people have been held hostage for 100 years by the private banking cartel the Federal Reserve. They're going to bring down the whole country in the next five years. It could happen in the next month if congress can't agree to raise the debt ceiling and the U.S. defaults on their debts. I don't think people realize how dire the situation is down there. Even Obama's boy Timothy Geithner said last week that America is about to see a depression the likes of which has never been seen.

I agree. On everything. ...but we are getting sidetracked. This sort of environment will only make franchises pad their capital expenses, since it would be a hedge against the falling dollar.

In fact, one of my friends sells investment condos in Orlando, on properties that have bitten the boomboogie, around the corner from Vince Carter's place and you can get yourself a condo for 60K with personal elevator.

Again, I am not disputing the recession. We all have felt it, its just that if you do not understand that Corporations have been thriving in these environments while people have suffered, than you are not following the news. Everyone is bathing in the stimulus, tax breaks, multiplying their assets, but you are telling me that Stern and the gang are idiots, even though revenue is up, and tech costs are low, web presence is huge (something the league never had before).
              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jul 21, 2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

In times like these, when you have the US fed printing money to keep home owners above a certain foreclosure line, so that the thing does not fall apart, you want to divest out of money. Ideally metals and mining companies (those with future mining rights, because the mineral that is sitting in a future patch, can contribute to overall company profit when prices go up, even if its still in the ground - so if you invest make sure the company holds multiple future stakes).
                In any times, if you're the Federal Reserve, you don't give a shit about the American people. You're a private organization who cannot be audited or held accountable for your actions. You should pat yourself on the back for screwing over 300 million people by relentlessly devaluing their currency by 95% with very little resistance at all until as of late. The United States is a sinking ship and what you're seeing right now in congress is a bunch of fat cats moving chairs around on the Titanic before they exit stage right without conscience.

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                I spend a lot on computers and technology, it is my bread and butter. It's really cheap for me to do things I could not do before, because the hardware investment would have been prohibitive. I have 3 screens on my setup at home, HD news feeds coming in live all the time. As I write this message I am listening to world news.
                Right and I've cashed in on savings too but most of America isn't like us and by the way, we (Canada), our day is coming.

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                I agree. On everything. ...but we are getting sidetracked. This sort of environment will only make franchises pad their capital expenses, since it would be a hedge against the falling dollar.

In fact, one of my friends sells investment condos in Orlando, on properties that have bitten the boomboogie, around the corner from Vince Carter's place and you can get yourself a condo for 60K with personal elevator.

Again, I am not disputing the recession. We all have felt it, its just that if you do not understand that Corporations have been thriving in these environments while people have suffered, than you are not following the news.
                Mega Corporations are thriving because the U.S government gives them bailouts, gives them sweetheart government contracts and exempts them from most taxes. A prime example of the favoritism is this new mandatory insurance that businesses must get in America... Oh, except for anybody in Obama's entourage who he chooses to waive; those being the likes of Wal-Mart, McDonalds, etc. The Government says they're trying to help Americans with the left hand while the right hand deploys legislation designed to crush small business and prop up mega corporations. Small business is the life blood of America. They say they're going to raise taxes on the rich but what they actually mean is they're raising taxes on upper middle class and exempting the mega rich.

Comment

• The fed is stalling the crash, which it caused through its own mismanagement. I fear we are past the point of no-return. The only thing that puts a wrench in my thinking is that a good parasite does not kill its host.

There is a cost to Reganomics. I liked "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall..." speech, the man was a great actor, just a complete flake who destroyed his country by running up a bill that severely crippled future presidents. Dick Chaney under Bush kept saying that debt does not matter. Obviously it doesn't, when it's going into the pockets of you and your cronies... but anyway we are getting sidetracked.
                  Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jul 21, 2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• No, the Fed is causing it by their existence. They managed it just as the wanted. They're private bankers. A private corporation. Where do you think their interest are? In John Smith from Ohio or another billion in their bank accounts? There is no point bringing down the U.S. yet because there is more money to drain out of that dead pony. That's a harsh statement but if you follow what has transpired since 1913 it's all very clear.

Comment

• Yes, yes, i know, the internet is filled with this info... no need to get into the fed here. Men are capable of evil, they always have been... we just have some nice tools now to pull the curtains on the Murdochs and the Cablegaters.

...but its nothing new, or inhuman. We have had this condition ever since one man figured out he could take a rock and bash in the skull of another.

Comment

• [QUOTE=MyMomLovesMe;94453].
                        ..but you shouldn't go out and make up inflation numbers. I kind of agree with you on this point, but if I want to play the scientific card about your inflation numbers, I could easily dismiss them.
                        Made up numbers? Go find the Congressional testimony of Ben Bernanke during Ron Paul's question period last week. Do a little digging on how government statistics have been manipulated over the last 20 years or so to show things not as bad as they really are by changing the inputs compared to pre-1990's

Energy and commodities have gone up. Computers, tech toys have gone down in price. Housing for a lot of people has also gone down in price in the US. Cars have gone down in price, communication costs have gone down in price (voip/internet). Entertainment costs have gone down in price (streaming/you tube). I would even say internet connections + speed have gone down in price, depending on how vigilant you are to get a good deal.
                        Tech always goes down. Tell me though, how much are those new iPads and iPhones? People want the latest technology, that is why the older stuff goes down. Housing? How many in the US owe more on their house than it is worth? How many have 2nd mortgages or lines of credit worth nothing as the first mortgage is already underwater. Cars have gone down in price? Says who? Used car prices have been inflated since the cash for clunkers program. New cars may be cheaper when you pay cash but how many people in our debt laden world are paying cash for anything? Usually with a new car today you get a lower price if you pay cash or arrange your own financing but pay full MSRP if you are looking for any sort of financing through the dealer/car company. You would say internet connections? And you question my 'made up' numbers?

Yes, I agree with you our currency has been devalued. Canadian Gov likes to buy US treasuries because it keeps are currency pegged to the US dollar. For trade reasons. In fact, if you sold your house 20 years ago, and took that wealth to China or Eastern Europe, you could of bought 20 houses. Now you would be lucky to buy 2.
                        Actually our currency has not been devalued. Our currency is directly linked to oil and gold which have skyrocketed due to the US destroying their own dollar to keep the debt game going. Canada is a commodity producing country. Today our dollar is worth $1.06 to $1US dollar. 10 years ago it was around $0.65-.70 per USD. As you listen to the issues of Greece and other European countries over debt, remember the US is in worse shape financially than any of them deficit spending 12% of their GDP.

Sure.

However these pressures, only mean that cash positions are stupid. So you want to convert revenue into a capital base, this way you let your money appreciate as fast as the money is losing value due to QE measures. So these forces you talk about would only encourage owners to spend their revenues on capital expenses.
                        Cash positions stupid? The problem in the world today is the last 30 years of growth has been a debt orgy. There is too much debt in the world. There will be no lasting recovery until debt is rid of the system. Look at what has happened in Ireland versus Iceland - Ireland continues to play debt games for a couple of years and is worse trouble than ever whereas Iceland told the bankers to f*ck off, suffered for a year, and is actually growing their economy again - one of the very few European economies to do so in fact.

There are approximately $2trillion physical USD dollars in the world with about $50trillion in debt. When money becomes tight and another liquidity crisis comes the value of dollars rises because, as I have said many times, when people get scared they want a return OF capital rather a return ON capital. Look at the 10 year chart of the dollar and look at when it has soared - in times of trouble.

S&P500 companies have more cash on the books than ever before - why is that? This is what the mainstream media always proclaims as a reason to own or buy more stocks - what they leave out is they also have the highest debt levels of all time as well. Trouble coming perhaps?

This is hardly a time to make capital investment - sorry. This is a time to ensure the franchises and leagues are operating at break even - at worst the very worst - by any means necessary. Any fans of Game of Thrones should know the phrase "Winter is coming." According to the Kondratieff Cycle, winter really is coming and it is going to change many attitudes regarding monetary policy and debt.

Comment

Yes, yes, i know, the internet is filled with this info... no need to get into the fed here. Men are capable of evil, they always have been... we just have some nice tools now to pull the curtains on the Murdochs and the Cablegaters.

...but its nothing new, or inhuman. We have had this condition ever since one man figured out he could take a rock and bash in the skull of another.
                          But this has everything to do with the lockout. The owners, a lot of the people who are benefiting from the greedy congress fat cats running the show, know whats coming down the tube better than anybody. They know because they have their finger on the pulse and their coins in the coffers of congress. There isn't going to be nearly as much real value traded in America by the "peasants" from here on out. The NBA makes their money off these people. If things keep going as they are America is going to be transformed into a third world country. You're already seeing a lot of the companies that government bailed out packing up shop and moving to China. The writing is on the wall, sad but true.

Comment

But this has everything to do with the lockout. The owners, a lot of the people who are benefiting from the greedy congress fat cats running the show, know whats coming down the tube better than anybody. They know because they have their finger on the pulse and their coins in the coffers of congress. There isn't going to be nearly as much real value traded in America by the "peasants" from here on out. The NBA makes their money off these people. If things keep going as they are America is going to be transformed into a third world country. You're already seeing a lot of the companies that government bailed out packing up shop and moving to China. The writing is on the wall, sad but true.
                            I would look at the US fate as that of the UK in the late '60's, early '70's.

And you are dead on regarding Canada compared to the US. We are on a 5 year delay to their fate.

Comment

• Oh, I think it will be worse than that. Think Ukraine '93.

Comment

Oh, I think it will be worse than that. Think Ukraine '93.
                                Damn... and I thought I had a negative forecast. :P

Comment

Working...
                                X