Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy must have bricks for brains

Just when talks are getting to the nit & grit he writes/says this:

LeBron James tweeted today that he would like star guards Jamal Crawford and Steve Nash to join him on the Miami Heat. Last offseason James famously took less money to join forces with other superstars in Miami in an attempt to win an NBA title.

“Would love to see @JCrossover in a Heat uni! What u guys say?” he tweeted today referring to Atlanta Hawks Jamal Crawford.

A second tweet shortly followed up asking for the services of Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash, “Maybe @SteveNash in a Heat uni! So we can help each other get our 1st ring.”
    http://tracking.si.com/2011/10/27/le...t/?eref=sircrc

Isnt this what the league is trying to prevent? Seems he isnt doing his side any favors.

Comment

• lebron james is the worst thing to happen to basketball in it's history.

wasn't talented enough to tip the competitve scale in the NBA on the basis of how "great" a player is... so he resorts to trying to steal a championship rather than actually trying.

all that talent to get his name mentioned in the same breath as jordan... none of the mental fortitude to display any of it in the 4th quarter of an NBA finals game

he's a charlatan.

Comment

• he's a "Vince" as we would say as raptor fans. Except with more appreciation for the game.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
          he's a "Vince" as we would say as raptor fans. Except with more appreciation for the game.
          I wouldn't say he's a "Vince".... a Vince is somebody who has a particular skillset which he is head and shoulders the best at in the league who decides because of the risks involved with using that skillset, he'll just learn to do something else and do that instead. Vince was scared to take it in the paint.

a "Vince" would be Steve Nash deciding that you risk turning the ball over too much by passing, so he might as well take jumpers instead.

Lebron is a charlatan. I'll call him an "Oden"... all the promise of his skills and physical dominance.. none of the payoff.

and ya ya... i know fanboys will throw his stats at me.... stats mean jack if you cant get it done in the 4th.

Jordan isn't great just because he made "The Shot"... he's great because of WHEN he hit it... against a better theam than he had.

champions make it happen when it matters... charlatans sit idly by when their candy houses melt in the sun.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            Just when talks are getting to the nit & grit he writes/says this:

http://tracking.si.com/2011/10/27/le...t/?eref=sircrc

Isnt this what the league is trying to prevent? Seems he isnt doing his side any favors.
            Nash's abilities would go to waste in Miami. James should know this seeing how him and Wade need the ball in their hands at all times or their egos start to melt and bubble. Nash is best suited on a team with a dominate big man. If he were paired with a guy like Dwight Howard for example, that would make sense. James should be looking to recruit a couple defensive guards, not two guys who together can't spell defense with a dictionary in front of them.

To Heinz, I don't like LeBron James as a person and if he were to retire today I would be happy about it. That said he sure is needed. All good stories need a good villains and when it comes to villains I don't think you could invent one easier to dislike than this clown. He's a complete moron when it comes to public relations. It's like his mother put it in cruise control when she realized he was probably going to be a star, instead of parenting him.

Anyway, game on? Fingers crossed. Stern better deliver a better product. I swear, if all this crap we've been forced to endure was for nothing I'm not going to be happy.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              To Heinz, I don't like LeBron James as a person and if he were to retire today I would be happy about it. That said he's sure is needed. All good stories need a good villains and when it comes to villains I don't think you could invent one easier to dislike than this clown.
              oh i agree... you NEED a bad guy. you're 100% right on that.

but legit bad guys.

i brought up the michael jordan comparison... but believe me, as a player i HATED him. actually, even post playing career, i still hate him.. Back then i was a Sonics fan, and MJ was the devil.

but i can admit the greatness of somebody i hate... i dont hate players because they suck... i hate them because they're the most talented enemy.

Kobe Bryant is a villian. KG is a villian.

Lebron James is a charlatan. He's the NBA version of the Simpsons Monorail salesman.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                but i can admit the greatness of somebody i hate... i dont hate players because they suck... i hate them because they're the most talented enemy.

Kobe Bryant is a villian. KG is a villian.

Lebron James is a charlatan. He's the NBA version of the Simpsons Monorail salesman.
                I respect great players who aren't bad people. I had all the respect in the world for Garnett before he went to Boston and it all went to his head. I have a hard time drawing a line between the player and the person.

Comment

I respect great players who aren't bad people. I had all the respect in the world for Garnett before he went to Boston and it all went to his head. I have a hard time drawing a line between the player and the person.
                  if a great player is a douchebag... i'll still respect him... but respect and hate are two totally disconnected emotions..

i'll fully admit that kobe is still the greatest player in the game today.. i hate him though. he scored 81 points on our team... every time that smug look gets wiped off his face with the look of disappointment, i smile..

lebron isn't worth being a villian.

Comment

• @Apollo

Anyway, game on? Fingers crossed. Stern better deliver a better product. I swear, if all this crap we've been forced to endure was for nothing I'm not going to be happy.
                    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/10/...lary-caps-hook

I am still trying to digest this and who knows how accurate it is.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                      if a great player is a douchebag... i'll still respect him... but respect and hate are two totally disconnected emotions..

i'll fully admit that kobe is still the greatest player in the game today.. i hate him though. he scored 81 points on our team... every time that smug look gets wiped off his face with the look of disappointment, i smile..

lebron isn't worth being a villian.
                      And I thought u saved your most snarly thoughts for...........

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        And I thought u saved your most snarly thoughts for...........

ahahahaha... i do hate bosh..

BUT, i'll give him this much... after last years finals... i respect him a crapload more than i do lebron. bosh showed up.

Comment

I cannot state how much I agree on this.

As SI.com detailed two weeks ago, the luxury-tax system that the league proposed before talks broke down earlier this month started with a penalty of $1.75 per $1 over a threshold and escalated by 50 cents per dollar in $5 million bands. That alone would be a huge step up from the old system, which taxed teams at a dollar-for-dollar ratio regardless of how far over the tax they went. Under the old system, the Lakers will pay about $20 million in tax penalties based on last season’s payroll; they’d have to fork over about $50 million under the NBA’s proposal.

The 2010-11 season will be the fourth consecutive year in which the Lakers will have paid the tax. Dallas had paid the tax for six straight seasons, the Celtics the last four. The Knicks paid a tax in each of the five seasons before 2010-11, the Cavaliers for the three seasons before last. The league has proposed jacking up the penalties for such annual taxpayers, so that teams paying for the third time in five seasons would have their bill tripled. Teams that pay four times in five seasons would face a quadruple penalty.

Again: Sources are mum about precisely where the league’s tax proposal stands today. Sources close to the talks indicated last Thursday that the league had softened the tax ratios, but that the multiplying penalties for routine payers remained. A source close to the talks tells me that remains true today–that the league has stood by the multiplied penalties for teams that pay the tax three or more times during a five-year span.

The union believes, with some justification, that such penalties will carry many of the same effects of a hard cap. Teams faced with tax bills in one season will have to plan to get under the tax in the future, meaning they’d limit guaranteed deals to stars and players on their rookie contracts. The middle class would live with nonguaranteed deals.

There is a middle ground for everything. The two sides know where the middle ground is on the revenue split, and they have found it — or approached it — on lots of other issues. They’ll find it on contract lengths, raise amounts and other stuff. They have to.

But can they find one on this issue? The union has been steadfast that teams should be able to pay the tax every season if they wish, without facing additional penalties. The league has been steadfast that payrolls at the high end must come down, and that a punitive tax is one way to get it.

Who will budge?

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...sct=nba_t11_a5
                          I hope it is not the owners.

I really don't care about the BRI however the owners have budged just as much as the players from realistic starting points.

They have dropped the hard cap.

They have come up $2M on MLE.

They are still permitting sign and trade (If they do the 3/4/5 year contract thing I could live with it - but not happily).

They are softening luxury tax stance.

The things I will be extremely upset about are:

- no 3 years for free agents and 4/5 years for extensions with 5 year being franchise calibre,

- upping draft age to 20, and

- no lack of exemptions on luxury tax teams and a luxury tax system that is laughable to rich markets or rich owners.

Comment

• Via HoopsWorld.com Twitter feed:

DarnellMayberry RT @Chris_Broussard Talks between the players and owners just ended. Split of BRI is still the issue. Neither side budging (Shocking!)
                            about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

timkawakami RT @Chris_Broussard Talks just ended. Split of BRI is still the issue. Neither side budging. Players still at 52, owners at 50.
                            about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

IraHeatBeat So long optimism? RT @Chris_Broussard Talks between the players and owners just ended. Split of BRI is still the issue. Neither side budging
                            5 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AlexKennedyNBA Great. RT @alanhahn Don't want to ruin the party, but I'm hearing things may be on the verge of blowing up again. BRI is sensitive topic.
                            6 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

LarryCoon Yes. Condition downgraded. RT @EverythingLaker: are you stepping away now from guarded optimism?
                            7 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Jonathan_Feigen If only a # in between. RT @Chris_Broussard: Talks just ended. Split of BRI still the issue. Neither side budging. Players at 52, owners 50
                            7 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

alanhahn Don't want to ruin the party, but I'm hearing things may be on the verge of blowing up again. BRI is extremely sensitive topic. #NBA
                            8 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Comment

• Comment

• Brian T. Smith: Told by two league sources in last 12 hours owners made concessions on system with plan to hardline players on BRI ... Twitter

I'd rather see concessions from the owners on BRI and changes to the system. Tough not knowing all the details or being in the room to know circumstances to this position.

Comment

Working...
                                X