Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    They won't bring it to a vote why? I think because they know the majority of players will vote for it.
    Because Hunter and Fischer will lose their jobs unless they can come up with a miracle before an agreement is reached.

Comment

• They're probably going down no matter what. It sounds like they want to go down swinging based on principle. No one is going to remember that in a couple years. They're going to remember that the players agreed to 40% of the BRI and a hard cap when they could have got 50% and a soft cap.

Comment

• the players are really starting to look like that desperate nerd kid who drops like $100 at the arcade on street fighter trying to beat the dude who's been sitting on the machine for hours with his girlfriend complaining for him to hurry up because she wants to go get a cinnabon

even if he eventually does win one match... all he's going to get is a mild quick ego boost, but still be down $100 and have no girlfriend.

Comment

• Of course the players should take this and it has nothing to do with fair, everything to do with leverage. It's the best deal they're going to see. Once the owners start to lose significant chunks of games, it only makes sense for them to hold out for their ideal solution, because running a half-season of basketball isn't going to be efficient for most teams. The owners have a lot to gain by burning a whole season.

All the players have to gain by burning a season with decertification is a faint hail-mary hope that the courts will step in and bail them out. Even if that happens, it's going to be the agents, not the players, who would benefit, because the players would still lose a year of salary that they'll never come close to making up. They can talk about decertification all they want, things are going to start getting worse and worse for the players regardless of which route they take.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Source: Twitter @WojYahooNBA

Source: ESPN.com

They won't bring it to a vote why? I think because they know the majority of players will vote for it.
            Have you noticed how Fisher spent 10 minutes talking without saying anything?

If he comes out and says why they won't accept the owners deal or if they propose what they are actually looking for on the system issues they come off as entitled prima-donnas.

If I was a player, I'd be rounding up signatures to sign the deal. They are all going to be a bunch of Bill Guerin's in a couple of years.

For many of these guys it is their first taste at what most people have learned since middle school: life is not fair and you can't always get what you want.

Comment

• How does it work? Do all the players get to vote on whether to accept the offer?

Comment

• No doubt. They've been told how great they are their whole lives by coaches, family and hangers on. 'No' is probably something they're not used to. They seem to be driven now by emotion. People who do business dealings based on emotion usually get taken to the cleaners.

I'm with you. I hope somebody is collecting a list. Leadership is supposed represent the wishes of their people. Just like anywhere else in society right now it seems it may not be happening here.

Comment

• The leaders need to put it to a vote for that to happen. They're not willing to do so.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    the players are really starting to look like that desperate nerd kid who drops like $100 at the arcade on street fighter trying to beat the dude who's been sitting on the machine for hours with his girlfriend complaining for him to hurry up because she wants to go get a cinnabon

even if he eventually does win one match... all he's going to get is a mild quick ego boost, but still be down $100 and have no girlfriend.
                    And the owners are like Alabama playing Eastern Middle Arkansas Technical School. The score is 77-3 but they're going deep with 5 seconds left. Yeah, they may move up an extra notch in the BCS from 4 to 3, but they still look like *&#holes.

Comment

• See, we don't all feel that way. I would say in here it's split 50/50... Well maybe 55/45 in favor of the owners. You may be able to talk me up to 50 but after Wednesday all bets are off.

Comment

• The Toronto Star is suggesting that when/if an agreement is reached, it's estimated that at least 4 weeks would be required from the day hands are shaken, until the regular season opener. Lawyers need to finalize the agreement, free agents need to be signed, and training camp and preseason would follow.

Comment

• i would only want it to go longer, if it resulted in a hard cap.

can someone also explain to me why the players are fighting hard to keep sign and trade possible for luxury tax paying teams?
                          whats in it for them?
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• j bean wrote: View Post
                            How does it work? Do all the players get to vote on whether to accept the offer?
                            If it is the decertification process that you enquire about, it's a 2 step vote process..1) there must be an initial 30% of the union asking for the process to begin 2) after the NLRB assesses the application the second vote needs to have a simple majority (50% + 1) for actual decertification. Then all "hell" breaks loose...everyman for themself and the agents and lawyers start their clocks.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              i would only want it to go longer, if it resulted in a hard cap.

can someone also explain to me why the players are fighting hard to keep sign and trade possible for luxury tax paying teams?
                              whats in it for them?
                              The ability to demand a trade to a big market (and net the current team pennies on the dollar). The players want the big markets to maintain their big advantage. Those teams are more likely to waste money.

Comment

• I think they would skip pre-season. The NFL was going to skip their's if need be. That's just a guess on my part.

Comment

Working...
                                X