Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What young wings should the Raptors Pursue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What young wings should the Raptors Pursue?

There are tons of threads about bad Bargnani's Post D is and the Raps lack of a true defensive presence inside,but that hole wouldn't be so glaring if the Raptors perimeter D wasn't just as horrendous as they're post D was. It's common sense that our big's would have do a better job of protecting the rim if every PG in the league wasn't blowing past Calderon for easy penetration. Demar ,for as much as he is growing on the offense end, still has not learned how to play effective defense yet. One bright spot is that James Johnson has shown potential but I do not think he is a long term answer at SF.

Great teams always have defensive stoppers on the wing, like Artest or Bowen, so the question is what young defensive minded or athletic wing would you go after?
    Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
    http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

xavier henry
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

he also fills our glaring hole of "perimeter shooting"
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

wilson chandler or jeff green

Comment

If I'm not drafting Derrick Williams (and i'm not sure i'm sold on him as a top 3 pick) I don't go after a 3. I'm fine with James Johnson getting a lot of burn and I retain and give more minutes to Julian Wright (although, it seems like the management/coaching staff would disagree) we definitely do need an upgrade at the 3 spot at some point but I don't think that where i invest my time as gm. With the emergence of Bayless as a servicable (?) starting point guard (although I'm not sure I'd want him as my starting point guard) the C is the problem. I don't want to hi jack your thread, so I guess what I'll say is that if we can't get irving and we can't package our pick for a center, then I probably draft Williams and play him at SF.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            xavier henry
            I would like to get him as well. Maybe the prospect of his $2M guaranteed contract with Gay's contract, Randolph's extension, and possible big pay day for Gasol makes him expendable in the new CBA environment given they have Young and Allen as well.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              If I'm not drafting Derrick Williams (and i'm not sure i'm sold on him as a top 3 pick) I don't go after a 3. I'm fine with James Johnson getting a lot of burn and I retain and give more minutes to Julian Wright (although, it seems like the management/coaching staff would disagree) we definitely do need an upgrade at the 3 spot at some point but I don't think that where i invest my time as gm. With the emergence of Bayless as a servicable (?) starting point guard (although I'm not sure I'd want him as my starting point guard) the C is the problem. I don't want to hi jack your thread, so I guess what I'll say is that if we can't get irving and we can't package our pick for a center, then I probably draft Williams and play him at SF.
              The one thing is that Bayless killed it when he got the starting role, which is what is clouding my judgment on the whole drafting Kyrie Irving, although he is clearly the best player in the draft and I think his PG vision and his D are better then scouts are saying, 17.8 PPG and 4 APG are impressive numbers as a freshmen. Derrick Williams at SF is interesting because if he were to to Start our starting 5 would be HUGE:

Bayless 6'3
              Derozan 6'7
              Williams 6'8/6'9 (250lbs)
              Ed or Bargs 6'10 or 7' (depending on if we get a true center)
              Bargs or replacement 7' again

size helps win championships

Comment

I don't think Derrick Williams is the solution on the wing. If we draft him and play him as a starting small forward he is going to suck his first year, if we draft him as a project and let him learn the new position then down the road he could be nice.

James Johnson is finding a role and should come back next season more focused and a little more crisp. Remember he did not play all year till he got to Toronto, he was just starting to get into real game shape.

Xavier Henry I am not sold on, although he has a great frame I don't see him having the length to guard the 3 spot. The nice thing is he may have learned a thing or two from Tony Allen.

Here are a few more names to think about

Arron Afflalo SG unrestricted
                Luc Richard Mbah a Moute SF restricted
                Thaddeus Young Combo Forward restricted
                Mickael Pietrus G/F Unrestricted with a player option
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                  I don't think Derrick Williams is the solution on the wing. If we draft him and play him as a starting small forward he is going to suck his first year, if we draft him as a project and let him learn the new position then down the road he could be nice.

James Johnson is finding a role and should come back next season more focused and a little more crisp. Remember he did not play all year till he got to Toronto, he was just starting to get into real game shape.

Xavier Henry I am not sold on, although he has a great frame I don't see him having the length to guard the 3 spot. The nice thing is he may have learned a thing or two from Tony Allen.

Here are a few more names to think about

Mickael Pietrus G/F Unrestricted with a player option
                  Good sugesstions, Afflalo and Mbah a Moute are both underrated. Both are great defenders and could be signed for relatively cheap.Afflalo has a decent stroke that isn't talked about enough and Mbah a Moute can play multiple positions and is a solid rebounder. These guys aren't stars but they are the type of hard-nosed guys that winning teams put around their foundation and any team would want.

Comment

[QUOTE=WJF;78598]
                    Mickael Pietrus G/F Unrestricted with a player option[/QUOTE

A.Afflalo can be used at the SF postion.He lacks size for it but is a great perimeter defender,he shoots the 3 well and he improved a lot this season.He improves every year and will become even better.
                    Mbah a moute...I don't know.I'm not convinced he is much better than J.Johnson.I'd give JJ a chance next season.He didn't play bad since he got here so I think he deserves at least a chance.Replacing him with guy like mbah a moute isn't really much improvement.
                    Seeing how Thaddeus Young plays in the playoffs makes me REALLY want the guy in raptors uniform.Pietrus the same.Nice options by the way and if I'm B.Colangelo I'd really pursue 3 of them.
                    Last edited by footarez; Tue Apr 19, 2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Josh Smith. There have been rumblings of the Hawks shuffling the deck in the off-season. With him an Ed Davis at the forwards spots suddenly the defense looks far more threatening.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Josh Smith. There have been rumblings of the Hawks shuffling the deck in the off-season. With him an Ed Davis at the forwards spots suddenly the defense looks far more threatening.
                        When considering a starting lineup, would you look at Smith as a 3 or 4? Is Davis a 4 or 5?

Personally, I think Smith's desired position is SF and would work best there - with or without Bargnani.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I would like to get him as well. Maybe the prospect of his $2M guaranteed contract with Gay's contract, Randolph's extension, and possible big pay day for Gasol makes him expendable in the new CBA environment given they have Young and Allen as well.
                          There's the kid I love. Tony Allen is one of the toughest dudes in the NBA. He can be a bit of a knucklehead at times, but I'd love to see him in a Raps uniform. He plays tough D, has mad hops, won a championship in Boston..

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            When considering a starting lineup, would you look at Smith as a 3 or 4? Is Davis a 4 or 5?

Personally, I think Smith's desired position is SF and would work best there - with or without Bargnani.
                            Josh Smith entered the league as a 3 and played the position a lot until they inserted Marvin Williams into the starting five. I feel his game has evolved a lot since then and he can certainly shift back. He's exactly who you want on the LeBron James' and Carmelo Anthony's of the league.

I think Bargnani would be outbound in a Josh Smith trade. Bargnani might look nice next to Horford.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Josh Smith entered the league as a 3 and played the position a lot until they inserted Marvin Williams into the starting five. I feel his game has evolved a lot since then and he can certainly shift back. He's exactly who you want on the LeBron James' and Carmelo Anthony's of the league.

I think Bargnani would be outbound in a Josh Smith trade. Bargnani might look nice next to Horford.
                              Smith is a 3/4 tweener for sure, although he would not help out our 3 point shooting he would bring some much needed defensive help, and we could go up tempo with him at the 4 spot for stretches and not get hurt. What would it take to get him and his 12.5 mil contract? Would Amir, Barbosa (if he picks up his option) and next years pick get it done?

James Johnson could be the easy answer here. Although inconsistent he put up decent numbers in his first regular playing time in the league. Just over 1 block, 1 steal, 3 dimes and almost 5 boards in 28 minutes is pretty good, add in the 9 points per game for the 24 year old and that looks good. IF he can improve his 3 ball a little and come in to camp (it there is one) in better shape he could easily be a 12 and 6.5 guy with over a block and steal.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X