Raps and NBA Draft conspiracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excited about the draft

I actually see one player in the draft who I am really excited about, who I think we have an excellent chance to nab - if we are willing to be brave with our pick and ignore consensus: Bismack Biyombo.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Biyombo-3683/

Ignore his listed 6'8" height - look at his 9'3" standing reach. His incredible wingspan makes him effectively taller than 7 footers. He is apparently a top shot blocker, a top defender with great instincts, an astounding athlete, a good rebounder, and has the motor and passion of a Kevin Garnett.

His offense is very raw (other than dunks and putbacks) ... but we have proven that we can teach offense to big men. He went from ignored on the bench to starting in the Spanish league just because when he was given a chance to play by injury ahead of him he outperformed. I would expect the same here.

I say draft him, resign Reggie Evans (at the right price) to help keep up Bismack's rebounding and motor, and trade Bargnani for scoring at the wing. Then we have a frontcourt of: Bismack, Amir, Ed, Reggie. Sure, it may not look great in 2012, but by 2013 it should be very, very, good.
    Last edited by Kuh; Tue Apr 19, 2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

The Raptors were brave with their pick in 2004. They ignored the consenus and selected Rafael Araujo 8th overall.

Some people are questioning the authenticity of the age Biyombo claims to be. He doesn't look anything like an 18 year old kid.

Comment

Did i mention Jan Vesely is averaging 10 Pts/3 Rebs,a block and a steal as a 20 year old in the second best league in the world, playing with men instead of boys?

I'm not saying let's blow a top 2 pick on him but if we fall out of the top 2 or 3 he should definitely be looked at since was a a glaring hole at the SF unless people actually believe they can live with the James Johnson/Julian Wright electric combination.
        Last edited by Pureraptors; Tue Apr 19, 2011, 09:05 AM.
        Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
        http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          • You forgot to mention Perry Jones is not coming out. That sucks.
          • The Raptors won the #1 in 2006. That was considered a weak draft by many but some really nice players came out that year.
          The reason that draft was so weak in the first place is because that was the first year they stopped letting high schoolers into the draft. Just in time for us to pick high. The high schoolers like Bynum chosen the year before could have been in the draft if they had done it sooner.... and we might have been able to select Kevin Durant had they done it a year later.

Comment

The rule change happened before the lottery.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              I can't help but notice you're big on the anti-Raptor conspiracies. SO you think that the NBA conspired to end their CBA the summer after they figured that Toronto would bottom out, causing players to return to school so as not be drafted for a season that may not even happen because of a lockout? If it IS a conspiracy, it was the most complicated and brilliant conspiracy I've ever heard of, with so many variables to figure out that it has to be done by aliens.
              ---never mind---
              Last edited by charlz; Tue Apr 19, 2011, 09:32 AM.
              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Pureraptors wrote: View Post
                Did i mention Jan Vesely is averaging 10 Pts/3 Rebs,a block and a steal as a 20 year old in the second best league in the world, playing with men instead of boys?

I'm not saying let's blow a top 2 pick on him but if we fall out of the top 2 or 3 he should definitely be looked at since was a a glaring hole at the SF unless people actually believe they can live with the James Johnson/Julian Wright electric combination.
                All I know about Jan Vesely is the info that you have just provided. There isn't one person on the Raptors current roster including Solomon Alabi that I would give up on to look at Vesely. Maybe if he was very athletic and 40lbs heavier.

Comment

This conspiracy stuff is really quite silly. I'm amazed that people actually believe in this. This is a joke thread, right?
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

No, the league is trying to hold the Raptors back by hurting them at the draft. They changed the age limit before the 2006 lottery to stop them there. Now they're taking it up a notch this year by shutting down the entire league just to stop them from getting a superstar via the draft. They aren't happy about how Vince's Mom lost her excellent parking spot during his final season in Toronto. They're also not happy about the Bosh snub in Miami by Triano or maple syrup, or the metric system. This is retribution.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      This conspiracy stuff is really quite silly. I'm amazed that people actually believe in this. This is a joke thread, right?
                      I tihnk charlz went a little to deep into the theory and brought up facts that werent researched well enough before making his conspiracy theory. however, i do think that the league is setup to an extent. for example i dont think they planned the CBA to end the year the raps are picking 3rd just to screw them over by players staying in school. BUT i do believe the draft is rigged in regards to the lottery and where certain teams will select in the draft. examples are.... cleveland drafting hometown guy lebron, chicago drafting rose another hometown guy, and dwight howard (shaq version 2) going to orlando.. its just all to ironic .

its to hard to rigg the things listed at the start of the thread but its not out of the question that things can be fixed in the NBA. i mean the government does it all the time, why cant the NBA. IMO its almost stupid for the NBA not to fix their league to help it along.

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
                        All I know about Jan Vesely is the info that you have just provided. There isn't one person on the Raptors current roster including Solomon Alabi that I would give up on to look at Vesely. Maybe if he was very athletic and 40lbs heavier.
                        Vesely is VERY athletic. You should read up on the kid. He's got a high motor, plays good D, and tries to dunk everything. If he was 40 pounds heavier, he'd be playing at 270 lbs. What SF aside from Lebron plays at 270? (Lebron is more at 250-260)

Comment

Oh, and to add to the conspiracy theory - the Raptors won the NBA draft in 1996 - they should have received Allen Iverson, but because of a clause saying they couldn't win the lottery for 5 years, they got the 2nd pick - and ended up with Marcus Camby..

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                            2005 Raps get first over all pick but it is the first year NBA insisted players not come directly out from high school Diluting the Draft pool of Kevin Durant and Greg Oden among others.
                            We should thank our lucky stars that they put that rule into effect or else we would have had a gimpy Oden.

Comment

Excellent point. Oden was the consensus #1. People were suggesting he might be the next Shaq back then.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                Oh, and to add to the conspiracy theory - the Raptors won the NBA draft in 1996 - they should have received Allen Iverson, but because of a clause saying they couldn't win the lottery for 5 years, they got the 2nd pick - and ended up with Marcus Camby..
                                I am assuming you were serious above...not really decphering this thread too well!!....I think Camby in retropect was the better pick who is still playing at a good level. Yes, Iverson was the flashy one but a selfish, high volume and high maintenance individual who ultimately did not win the big one (went to the finals as did Camby) and a coach killer. Camby was/is a terrific defensive centre and one who would be a good addition to the Raptors even at this late stage of his career (a couple of years)...exactly the type of player in his heyday that we need now.

Comment

Working...
                                X