What about Alabi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Alabi?

There have been quite a few threads and even a piece on the front page talking about centers we should be going after, but there is someone on the roster who may be able to fill that roll: Soloman Alabi. I'll probably get burned for this but the guy is 7'1", 250, has a 7'5" wing span, blocks shots, has good touch, and is reportedly a hard worker. I wouldn't suggest that he be our starting center any time soon; the coaches lack of confidence in him indicates how far he has left to come. He could be very good though, he has all the tools and there is lots of time for him to get better as the rebuild goes on.
    Alabi +Davis=shots blocked.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

I would rather keep Ajinca, with some work on his post game he could be a nice inside out threat on offense and brings length on defense. He is just so much more fluid on the floor than Alabi
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Hey I wanna see this guy play more, next season if hes still around I can see him become the new Ajinca, nothing more , hopefully nothing less. He got a weak skill set, but hes got size just needs more strength. Ajinca's frame looks like fat woman who just got lipsosuction on her arms and thats it.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Id like to see how he progresses next season, he looked pretty lost most of the time, and if he doesnt show any flashes then let him walk.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
          There have been quite a few threads and even a piece on the front page talking about centers we should be going after, but there is someone on the roster who may be able to fill that roll: Soloman Alabi. I'll probably get burned for this but the guy is 7'1", 250, has a 7'5" wing span, blocks shots, has good touch, and is reportedly a hard worker. I wouldn't suggest that he be our starting center any time soon; the coaches lack of confidence in him indicates how far he has left to come. He could be very good though, he has all the tools and there is lots of time for him to get better as the rebuild goes on.
          Alabi +Davis=shots blocked.
          Based on what I've seen the guy isn't ready to even play bit minutes. Doug Smith mentioned in his column last week that the coaches are worried he's going to hurt somebody at practice. His game is that raw...

He has a guaranteed contract for next year and there is a team option for the following year.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Based on what I've seen the guy isn't ready to even play bit minutes. Doug Smith mentioned in his column last week that the coaches are worried he's going to hurt somebody at practice. His game is that raw...

He has a guaranteed contract for next year and there is a team option for the following year.
            Don't get me wrong, I know he is nowhere close to even being ready to be a backup in this league. I just hate to think that we have this guy on our roster, cheap, who was a member of the ACC all-defensive team and was touted by sites like NBADraft.net as having "...the potential to become a defensive centerpiece for a team that lacks a presence in the paint" and we don't even give him consideration when thinking about the future of the center position on this team. Next season will tell a lot of the story, if he improves and gets into the rotation, even at 10 minutes a game, I think you have to make him one of the long term development projects, like Bargs was. If he is still lost next year, then yah, you move on.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

there is such a thing of asking a player to do too much, if all you ask him to do is block shots, set picks, and either rebound the ball or box out he will be fine. I keep saying this coaching staff sucks because every single time I have watched him play in the d-league or limited minutes at the end of games the other team makes sure there is a body or two on him. If I can see from my couch that the floor opens up just from him being on the floor, what the f**k are the coaches looking at when they watch film. I will go on to say between him and ed davis they set the best picks on the team if you need a guy open send them through a pick with alabi, he will get open.

I am ranting too much here but these coaches are either dumb or blind or both, is situational basketball a lost art in today's NBA?

Comment

As someone who sang the praises of Bismack recently, I should say: good point.

It sounds like Alabi needs some full-time coaching this summer to get him ready to at least practice with the team next fall. I don't know if NBA teams ever arrange that. It would be relatively cheap to hire someone to work out with him and see if you can get him up to the state where he can at least practice with the team.

Comment

This is another sign that BC has no idea on what he is doing. They brought in this guy for practices before the draft. They spoke so highly of him, his work ethics, his "raw" talents and ... They were even talking about how they will probably acquire late first ROUND pick to pick him up if he is still on the board.

Then as they were not able to get their hands on that first round , they jumped on a trade for him right away showing that they are still interested. Then interview after interview by BC, parsing himself on the fact that he managed to get Alabi from Mavs and he believes the ONLY reason he had slided that low was due to teams getting scared of his positive Hep test otherwise he belonged to the first round.

Then season starts and Alabi does not even see the floor time. Now, they are even scared to have a practice with the guy !!!
                  This is Pure BS !!! Tell me again why we should extend BC for few more years !!!!!

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    Don't get me wrong, I know he is nowhere close to even being ready to be a backup in this league. I just hate to think that we have this guy on our roster, cheap, who was a member of the ACC all-defensive team and was touted by sites like NBADraft.net as having "...the potential to become a defensive centerpiece for a team that lacks a presence in the paint" and we don't even give him consideration when thinking about the future of the center position on this team. Next season will tell a lot of the story, if he improves and gets into the rotation, even at 10 minutes a game, I think you have to make him one of the long term development projects, like Bargs was. If he is still lost next year, then yah, you move on.
                    Hoffa was a defensive powerhouse at BYU. Didn't mean a thing when he had to face off against men for a change. Scouts can get it wrong. 2010 pre-draft scouting reports are outdated. We've seen him in there during live rounds. I personally don't want to see him play if he isn't ready. He's better off in d-league.

Comment

If I was BC, I'd try trading Alabi to Denver for a 2nd round pick.

It's their GM Masai Ujiri that has history with Alabi and was so high on him. It's worth a shot, since I don't foresee Alabi improving enough next season to stick around in Toronto for a second contract.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        If I was BC, I'd try trading Alabi to Denver for a 2nd round pick.

It's their GM Masai Ujiri that has history with Alabi and was so high on him. It's worth a shot, since I don't foresee Alabi improving enough next season to stick around in Toronto for a second contract.
                        +1 - I would question who was pushing Alabit, personally I think Ujiri and I think it is fair to say, seeings how Ujiri is now a GM, that BC valued his opinion.

Maybe we can swing Alabi for Felton? We do have the TPE to absorb Felton's contract (sarcasm!)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          +1 - I would question who was pushing Alabit, personally I think Ujiri and I think it is fair to say, seeings how Ujiri is now a GM, that BC valued his opinion.

Maybe we can swing Alabi for Felton? We do have the TPE to absorb Felton's contract (sarcasm!)
                          LOL I was going to put "trade Alabi to Denver for a 2nd round pick or straight-up for Nene", but I was worried the second half might get taken seriously... haha

Comment

I don't know, Alabi is still very raw, and has nothing going for him other than physical attributes. Usually you can just tell whether or not a guy will be a solid NBA player, and I just don't think he is.

Comment

i want the coaching staff to work with this guy in the summer. I want to see alabi play next season. This guy looks like he can be something good with proper training and coaching. They need to give the guy a chance and try to help him develop his game. Just let the guy practice with the team its not like he's going to kill one of his teammates. The reason we see him lost on the floor is all because of this retarded coaching staff not giving him a chance. If they let him practice or worked with him on his game and gave him a few minutes a game he will start becoming the guy we need, a defensive shot blocking big in the paint.

Comment

Working...
                              X