Must do's for 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Rose only became a real scorer this year, and it was necessitated by the lack of scoring on the team. I think if he continues to score what he is, there is a real danger that he goes the route of Mike Bibby. When Bibby came into the league he was a true PG. It was amazing to watch him run a team. Then he was moved off the ball in Sacramento, and he seemed to lose the ability to run a team properly. However much success he achieved in Sacramento, I really believe it hurt his game.

As for Tyreke, I've never been a big fan of his. He's a guy who needs the ball in his hands to be effective, but really isn't good enough to lead a good team, and he's certainly not a PG.
    Rose has always been a scorer, even when Ben Gordon was still with Chicago, Rose was averaging 20 a game. I dont think its the lack of scoring or scorers, but rather Rose just was pretty much handed the reigns for his team and so he's decided to score more. I dont think Rose is comparable to Bibby in any way. Bibby is a jumpshooter and Rose is more of a slasher. Bibby was never a scorer, he may have been a shoot-first guard at some point in his career but he never averaged more than 20 a game. I honestly sometimes dont know if Bibby was a good PG, he may have run an offense effectively, but it never showed in the assists column. If you think of how many scorers he actually played with and yet he didnt become a double-digit assist player, makes you wonder how effective he really was as a playmaker. And Rose, definitely not a shoot-first PG. Scoring PG, yes. You can see him bring the ball down and look for teammates first and foremost, then creates his own shot if he cant find open teammates. If we're comparing him with Bayless, Bayless is definitely a shoot-first PG. Ive seen him numerous times bring the ball down and shoot the ball without looking for teammates. And i dont blame him, a scorer is a scorer, its up to the coach to put him where he is more effective.

Tyreke is what Bargnani is to Toronto, the enigmas of enigmas, hehehe.
    I cant understand anything about this guy, he fills stats sheets yet i feel he's not highly regarded in the league. takes him 16 shots to get 6 in, 29% in 3pT range, 77%ft. yikes. and yet he averages 17/4/5 which are really good numbers. i dont know, im confused.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      Tyreke is what Bargnani is to Toronto, the enigmas of enigmas, hehehe.
      I cant understand anything about this guy, he fills stats sheets yet i feel he's not highly regarded in the league. takes him 16 shots to get 6 in, 29% in 3pT range, 77%ft. yikes. and yet he averages 17/4/5 which are really good numbers. i dont know, im confused.
      In my opinion, the jury is still out on Tyreke. Plantar fascititis is a tough injury to have and play effectively - or at all - with.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        The suggested pick was not MIN's, it was MEM's.
        I'd do that, too. However much I like Calderon, to get a half decent PG, a mid-first round pick and not having to take back his salary would be too much to pass up on. Still, I don't see Minnesota doing it. Not even with Kahn running the team.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

5) The defensive argument is a weak one considering Jose's less than inspiring D. Jose's OPP PER is 18, Bayless' is 16.3. Neither are outstanding but Bayless is still better.
          Actually, that's not true (where did you get those numbers from?).

According to 82games, Calderon's Opp. PER is 15.8 (average). Bayless' is 19.0 (below-average to bad).

Comment

Forget the GM situation for a moment....

What are things the Raps must do to prepare for 2011-2012?

Here is the top of my list:

Trade Calderon.

He will not be here long term. His value may never be higher if he gets injured again (not a big 'if'). If Irving is drafted, start him immediately. If Irving is not drafted, give Bayless his chance. He has one year left on his deal, lets see what he can do over a full season - 18.1ppg and 6.7ast in 14 starts this year. If he excels - awesome, we have our PG. If he fails, there will most likely be another high draft pick next year with a couple of good PG's coming out - Kabongo happening to possibly be one of them.
            IMO, it doesnt matter who we draft or FA we get, the season will hinge on whether Bargnani stays or go.

If Bargnani stays, no doubt he will still be the focal point of this team. Dont say he's going to come off the bench or play less minutes coz youre just setting yourself up for disappointment. if he stays, he will still be the franchise player. coz if he stays, that means BC and Jay are still at the helm.

So if bargnani stays:

get him a damn good defensive coach
            keep DD, Amir, Ed, JJ, Bayless, Calderon
            Get a defensive center FA
            get best player in the draft, develop
            dont expect too much

If Bargnani gets traded then party at my house. kidding!

get a defensive center FA
            keep DD, amir, ed and calderon
            trade JJ and bayless
            draft PG

Comment

In my opinion, the jury is still out on Tyreke. Plantar fascititis is a tough injury to have and play effectively - or at all - with.
              oh yeah thats right i forgot about that.
              maybe that is the reason for his erratic play.

Comment

Personally, I'd absolutely keep Calderon. He's a true leader for this team. But I'd make him come off the bench, behind Bayless.

-Draft a Small Forward or a Center
                -Trade Bargnani for a guy of the position we didn't get in the draft.

I sincerely think that the team would benefit from those things. Those are the must do's in my opinion, but if we can draft Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams is gone, take him, but don't do it for other point guards. In this situation, I think they still should trade Bargnani for a Center or a SF and then we could certainly go after some centers of small forwards in the free agency market.
                Last edited by charlesnba23; Thu Apr 21, 2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                  Actually, that's not true (where did you get those numbers from?).

According to 82games, Calderon's Opp. PER is 15.8 (average). Bayless' is 19.0 (below-average to bad).
                  If that is the case, then I really messed up. I apologize. I was going from memory of a few days ago.

*EDIT* We are both wrong, well, me totally wrong, you half wrong - Calderon is 18 and Bayless is 19.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Apr 21, 2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I find this thread makes me start disbelieving this PER thing.
                    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Matt52 what did you mean by "it can be used to acquire salary in trades without having to worry about 125% + 100K rule."

Thx.
                      “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
                        Matt52 what did you mean by "it can be used to acquire salary in trades without having to worry about 125% + 100K rule."

Thx.
                        Teams over the salary cap ($58M) cannot take back more than 125% + $100K salary in a trade than they are sending out.

For example: Team X is at $64M (i.e. over the cap), Team Y is at $67M. Team X sends team Y $10M in salary, the most Team Y can send Team X is $12.6M and the least team Y can send team X is $7.9M.

This is why I support losing Calderon's contract. With a weak draft this year and sketchy free agency class, the best way to improve the roster will most likely be on the trade front. Cap space is not all about free agency, it helps to take back more money in trades without worrying about being limited to 125% + 100K. This is why many trades in the NBA do not materialize because the numbers do not work - even being off $30K on a deal with $20M in salaries ruins the trade.
                        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Apr 21, 2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Teams over the salary cap ($58M) cannot take back more than 125% + $100K salary in a trade than they are sending out.

For example: Team X is at $64M (i.e. over the cap), Team Y is at $67M. Team X sends team Y $10M in salary, the most Team Y can send Team X is $12.6M and the least team Y can send team X is $7.9M.

This is why I support losing Calderon's contract. With a weak draft this year and sketchy free agency class, the best way to improve the roster will most likely be on the trade front. Cap space is not all about free agency, it helps to take back more money in trades without worrying about being limited to 125% + 100K. This is why many trades in the NBA do not materialize because the numbers do not work - even being off $30K on a deal with $20M in salaries ruins the trade.
                          I certainly wouldn't use that as my primary basis for deciding to trade Calderon (or anybody else) though. If there was a player the Raps wanted bad enough, they can just use the TPE and not have to worry about it. Also, the financial landscape is likely going to be extremely different after the lock-out than it is now, so I wouldn't make rash decision to dump a useful player before the draft, just on the basis of greater trade flexibility.

Comment

Whatever happened to "this guy is a good player so lets have him on our team"

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                              Whatever happened to "this guy is a good player so lets have him on our team"
                              The flip side to that statement is "this guy is a good player so lets get him him from team X for our team - oh sh!t, we can't because we can't make the salaries match to 125% + $100K!"

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I certainly wouldn't use that as my primary basis for deciding to trade Calderon (or anybody else) though. If there was a player the Raps wanted bad enough, they can just use the TPE and not have to worry about it. Also, the financial landscape is likely going to be extremely different after the lock-out than it is now, so I wouldn't make rash decision to dump a useful player before the draft, just on the basis of greater trade flexibility.
                                They can use the TPE to acquire any player who has a contract of less than the TPE amount which is slightly more than $9M - $9.026M I believe.

I'm surprised so many want to keep Jose. If they could find someone to take his $9.75M contract next year and $10.5M the year after and offer a decent player in return combined with cap savings, I'd be all over it.

Comment

Working...
                                X