Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Next GM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    golden wrote: View Post
    Oden was the consensus #1 pick. There's not even debatable, except as hindsight revisionism. Don't really know enough about the internal politics to comment one way or another on Pritchard. Do you have more info on that?

    http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html
    Yes, he was the consensus #1. Come draft day Greg Oden was hands down the guy the majority of people were ranking the best talent in the class. What happened to the Blazers here was very bad luck...




    666 wrote: View Post
    Once Steve Nash retires he will become the Raptors GM. And I think that is going to happen either after next season or within the next three years. Till then the Raptors should hire an interim GM whose sole job is to draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players.
    Source?

    Comment


    • #47
      666 wrote: View Post
      I dont like BC. I'd be in support of any new face over him.

      Once Steve Nash retires he will become the Raptors GM. And I think that is going to happen either after next season or within the next three years. Till then the Raptors should hire an interim GM whose sole job is to draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players.

      If the team can only win 22 games with this roster, how much worse can it be after dumping salaries such as Calderon?
      And what credentials does Steve Nash have to become GM of an NBA team?
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

      Comment


      • #48
        I'd prefer to see BC extended 2 more seasons. But if the Raps choose to find a replacement, Bill Simmons would be on my list. He has openly expressed interest in a GM position in the past.

        Comment


        • #49
          Apollo wrote: View Post
          Yes, he was the consensus #1. Come draft day Greg Oden was hands down the guy the majority of people were ranking the best talent in the class. What happened to the Blazers here was very bad luck...
          Not according to a number of people who wondered whether Oden would struggle with injuries throughout his career. Yes, the majority of people felt Oden was the best pick, but there was a large portion of the basketball population that felt that Durant was the better pick and the player who would have the better career. This wasn't exactly Tim Duncan, here.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

          Comment


          • #50
            mmissile wrote: View Post
            I'd prefer to see BC extended 2 more seasons. But if the Raps choose to find a replacement, Bill Simmons would be on my list. He has openly expressed interest in a GM position in the past.
            That's a joke, right?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

            Comment


            • #51
              mmissile wrote: View Post
              I'd prefer to see BC extended 2 more seasons. But if the Raps choose to find a replacement, Bill Simmons would be on my list. He has openly expressed interest in a GM position in the past.
              You mean the Bill Simmons who at every opportunity writes about how the Raptors should be re-located? No thank you.

              Comment


              • #52
                Matt52 wrote: View Post
                You mean the Bill Simmons who at every opportunity writes about how the Raptors should be re-located? No thank you.
                what you've written above is complete fiction. whether you're a fan of simmons' or not, he has NEVER written about how the raptors should be re-located, and has written at length (and recently) about how it was unfortunate that van-city lost their team, how seattle lost theirs, and how sacto is likely losing theirs. simmons has frequently written about how passionate the raptor fanbase is. he's also frequently ripped the organization & front-office, and turned making fun of VC a sport for what he did to the city. but he's NEVER advocated relocating the team. if you can locate the article in which he writes this, or the podcast in which he says it, i'll gladly eat my words.

                FWIW - i'm not a fan of simmons' teams, but i do appreciate his passion, knowledge & his writing ability. do i think he could be a GM of an NBA team? i honestly don't know (would anyone?), but when i look around the league at the catastrophe's currently holding GM positions, i have a hard time believing he couldn't/wouldn't be better than a significant %. sometimes, when evaluating players, you just 'know' if they have what it takes, if they 'get it.' when durant was with texas, you just watched him & knew. IMO, simmons 'gets it.' it might not mean much, and you may want to simply pass him off as another american blow-hard trying to get noticed...and that's cool. just don't make shit up.
                TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  You mean the Bill Simmons who at every opportunity writes about how the Raptors should be re-located? No thank you.
                  i'm pretty sure he meant the bill simmons who unequivocally thought (at the time) durant should have been the #1 pick, and who wrote about why in detail. i guess he must be some kind of genius to think that way, since the 'consensus' was that oden was an obvious choice as the #1...

                  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070620
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070622
                  TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Other teams already hunting for new management?

                    Source: RealGM.com

                    See this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      And what credentials does Steve Nash have to become GM of an NBA team?
                      well, to be fair, what credentials do ANY current players have to be anything related to the running of a pro team, or coaching? in general, i agree...but at the same time, i wouldn't want to discount anyone out of hand. with respect to nash, i could see him being successful in a team-building role - as mentioned above, he's a guy who simply 'gets it.' not that i would necessarily want his first GM experience to be as a raptor...it would be nice if he became involved with the team (or any team) in an assistant-GM capacity first (though the ideal mentor, IMO, wouldn't be BC), and develop the necessary skills/experience to become a GM over the course of a few seasons - like stevie Y.
                      TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Source: RealGM.com

                        See this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.
                        weird...dennis lindsey, huh? where have i heard that name before?

                        http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ght=#post69794
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          The name isn't the important information. It's the actual act that's the important thing here. This doesn't validate Lindsey as a good candidate, just as a canadidate.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Apollo wrote: View Post
                            The name isn't the important information. It's the actual act that's the important thing here. This doesn't validate Lindsey as a good candidate, just as a canadidate.
                            i'll give you that. i guess i just got confused when you said, 'Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.' i assumed you were implying that lindsey was one of those you consider a 'good' option. my bad...

                            time will tell. meanwhile...tick-tock...what's the over/under on navel-gazing by the board?
                            Last edited by yertu damkule; Mon May 2, 2011, 02:25 PM.
                            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                              well, to be fair, what credentials do ANY current players have to be anything related to the running of a pro team, or coaching? in general, i agree...but at the same time, i wouldn't want to discount anyone out of hand. with respect to nash, i could see him being successful in a team-building role - as mentioned above, he's a guy who simply 'gets it.' not that i would necessarily want his first GM experience to be as a raptor...it would be nice if he became involved with the team (or any team) in an assistant-GM capacity first (though the ideal mentor, IMO, wouldn't be BC), and develop the necessary skills/experience to become a GM over the course of a few seasons - like stevie Y.
                              Being a coach and being a GM are two very different things. And the number of players who have immediately gone on to become a head coach and succeeded are tiny. Maybe a few? As for running a franchise immediately, it's even less, I think.

                              My point, though, is that Steve Nash has not exhibited any ability to scout and judge players. Nor has he exhibited any knowledge of how the team runs on the business side. I think he's a smart guy, and he's obviously a great player, but I just think it's ludicrous when people assume that just because a guy is a great player he will also be a great teach/coach/GM etc. It doesn't work that way.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Source: RealGM.com

                                See this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.
                                Apollo, as I speculated before, I think OTPP is doing exactly what it wants: it gets BC to run the draft; let's everyone expire; lockout happens July 1; name placeholder interim GM or potted plant; continue with MLSE sale; close MLSE sale late in year; leave new ownership to sort out mess prior to new season beginning in January or February(?). If they wanted a GM in place (either BC or someone else) they would have done it already. I believe that the current scenario isn't by happenstance, it's a plan.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X