GM dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM dilemna

Well Golden State has recently fired their coach, other teams have fired coaches, GM's, etc. I think it's time that we hear from MLSE what is going to happen. There's no point waiting on the decision and if the teachers are going to sell their share then they shouldn't get a say in the matter. Take the other owners and make a decision. No one is going to buy into a corporation that doesn't have some of its major positions filled. They want to know what they're getting.

After hearing an interview with Ric Bucher on sports business radio I understand this a bit more. Basically, Bucher's point was that the lockout is going to last until December or later because the owners' demands are so severe that the players will never agree to them, so, nothing will happen until the players don't get paid which starts in November and they realize the owners are serious about the new terms. He notes the players won't de-certify cause they will leave way too much guaranteed money on the table.

Given that background, it seems MLSE is taking the approach of letting Colangelo run the draft and then basically having some interim team run things through the lockout cause not much will be going on anyway. Presumably, they can use the time to sell the team by December 31 and let the new guys pick the management team they want.

I don't think it's ideal but it's a reasonable explanation for their actions.

Edit: Just to be clear: this wasn't Bucher talking about the Raps just the lockout generally. I was adding my own spin on what MLSE might be thinking given the state of play.
    Last edited by slaw; Wed Apr 27, 2011, 04:16 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

damn december! that's a long way away
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        After hearing an interview with Ric Bucher on sports business radio I understand this a bit more. Basically, Bucher's point was that the lockout is going to last until December or later because the owners' demands are so severe that the players will never agree to them, so, nothing will happen until the players don't get paid which starts in November and they realize the owners are serious about the new terms. He notes the players won't de-certify cause they will leave way too much guaranteed money on the table.

Given that background, it seems MLSE is taking the approach of letting Colangelo run the draft and then basically having some interim team run things through the lockout cause not much will be going on anyway. Presumably, they can use the time to sell the team by December 31 and let the new guys pick the management team they want.

I don't think it's ideal but it's a reasonable explanation for their actions.
        To clarify, this is not an MLSE decision because the basketball or sports people at MLSE want Colangelo back. This is an OTPP decision.

I understand what the OTPP are doing from a business perspective. It more than sucks from a fan perspective though - whether Colangelo is kept on or a replacement is hired. It would be nice to have stability for fans and current players. It would be nice to have others (media, other teams, prospective FA's, current players) not think the ownership situation is a total joke in addition to the concept of one Canadian team in a 30 team league. It would be nice for the teachers to take care of an investment that has been very profitable for them and not squeeze out a few more dollars at the expense of those who have supported the franchise and lined their pockets - you know, the fans.

Keep in mind this is not about me being very pro-Colangelo or hiring a new GM. It is about keeping things in order for those who will enjoy the product once the OTPP have washed their hands clean of their investment.

I know that might not be good business for the OTPP. However it could be argued that good business (i.e. looking out for yourself and screw anyone else) has caused a lot problems in the world today (credit default swaps, US mortgage crisis, European debt crisis, etc.). The concepts of loyalty and doing what is right not what is MORE profitable are long dead. I might be naive but sometimes it is better to do the right thing.

Here is an example: I have a house for sale and the sale will be complete in a couple of weeks. The tenants are complaining of a very slow drain in the bath tub. There was no mention of a slow drain in the home inspection and is not something that has to be looked at for the sale to go through. It would be easier for me to tell the tenants, "OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll get a plumber to look at it soon." and then do nothing about it. I don't really have an obligation to look in to it. I mean it is not an issue that is causing a major problem - it is a slow drain. However, these people have been giving me rent each month on time, never caused a problem, never complained with out a valid reason - what would you do? Personally, I'd get the drain looked at. It is the least I can do for them as they have been valued tenants and it is the least I can do for the people buying the house since they are about to give me a 40% return on my investment. It might not make good business sense but the goodwill that the $150 plumbing bill creates will be invaluable.

This is something teachers should keep in mind the next time there is a funding short fall for their pension or, more realistically, when current teachers are re-negotiating their next CBA. Public support is tough to come by, especially in an area of the country that has seen higher unemployment in recent years due to a loss of manufacturing and for a profession that has their summers off (they deserve it but not everyone shares my view).

Comment

Well, OTPP left itself in this spot - maybe intentionally. If it really didn't want Colangelo then firing him in January would have made sense and given them plenty of time to find someone new. If they didn't want Colangelo and didn't want to hire someone new they should have been clear with their intentions months ago rather than leaving BC to twist in the wind. Although, maybe that has happened. Maybe they told BC, 'look, we need you to run the draft but we aren't re-signing you cause of the sale and the lockout. If you're a good camper about it and hang in there we might have some nice parting gifts to offer you'.

In part, I guess you have to admire how f'n ruthless these private equity guys are. They basically get Colangelo to run the draft and then pack it in for a few months at no direct cost to them. They put the search, hiring, fallout, etc. in the laps of the new owners.

Comment

Well, OTPP left itself in this spot - maybe intentionally. If it really didn't want Colangelo then firing him in January would have made sense and given them plenty of time to find someone new. If they didn't want Colangelo and didn't want to hire someone new they should have been clear with their intentions months ago rather than leaving BC to twist in the wind. Although, maybe that has happened. Maybe they told BC, 'look, we need you to run the draft but we aren't re-signing you cause of the sale and the lockout. If you're a good camper about it and hang in there we might have some nice parting gifts to offer you'.

In part, I guess you have to admire how f'n ruthless these private equity guys are. They basically get Colangelo to run the draft and then pack it in for a few months at no direct cost to them. They put the search, hiring, fallout, etc. in the laps of the new owners.
            Exactly.

Good business move for OTPP.

Dick move for the fans who made it profitable for them and who will be sticking around to care for the product once they are gone.

______________ <------- Insert unpleasantries to the teachers and their hacks here.

Comment

Dear OTPP,

Phack you.

Thanks... for nothing, Mikey P

Comment

i want non-guaranteed contracts...don't care how long the lockout...just don't want another hedo situation
                "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

As far as I have heard, there is no confirmation that anyone is in serious discussions to take over the majority ownership of MLSE or to purchase the Raptors separately. If there is a serious qualified suitor in deep discussions what would be the reason not to say so? Also it is a huge story that would be very difficult to keep under wraps.

If all they have is someone kicking the tires, then get on with the proper operation of the team and settle the uncertainty surrounding its' management.

Comment

As a consumer if you don't like what they are doing, find out what they own and boycott it.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                      As a consumer if you don't like what they are doing, find out what they own and boycott it.
                      The kids would be happy not going to school

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        The kids would be happy not going to school
                        That is a good one!

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
                          As far as I have heard, there is no confirmation that anyone is in serious discussions to take over the majority ownership of MLSE or to purchase the Raptors separately. If there is a serious qualified suitor in deep discussions what would be the reason not to say so? Also it is a huge story that would be very difficult to keep under wraps.
                          My understanding as of a few weeks ago, and I can't really say how I know this, was that they were still entertaining preliminary offers. I don't know the current situation but would be surprised if the bidding had closed. I was told that there are serious buyers. I've written before on here that I don't see any deal closing before September 30 at the earliest and more likely by December 31 given the complexity and size of this deal. Again, can't say what I am basing these comments on other than this is what a couple of little birdies may have told me over a beer or two.

Edit: The other wild card here is the leagues. Will the NBA approve a sale during a lockout? I don't know. Also, it is no secret that Bettman is no fan of MLSE given MLSE's lukewarm support during the last NHL labour dispute. Would the NHL be inclined to do OTPP any favours? The point is that there must be some concern that this sale process may not be resolved until the 2012 offseason even if a buyer is found this year.
                          Last edited by slaw; Thu Apr 28, 2011, 03:42 PM. Reason: More stuff

Comment

If all this is true, I sort of hope any deals on the table fall through and the value of the OTFP takes a dive. Thats just one of personalities talking. Then I want the Raps to play well, increasing the value of investment much higher than what it was sold for, leaving the bastards kicking themselves. (And I even have more than one teacher in my immediate family)

Comment

My understanding as of a few weeks ago, and I can't really say how I know this, was that they were still entertaining preliminary offers. I don't know the current situation but would be surprised if the bidding had closed. I was told that there are serious buyers. I've written before on here that I don't see any deal closing before September 30 at the earliest and more likely by December 31 given the complexity and size of this deal. Again, can't say what I am basing these comments on other than this is what a couple of little birdies may have told me over a beer or two.

Edit: The other wild card here is the leagues. Will the NBA approve a sale during a lockout? I don't know. Also, it is no secret that Bettman is no fan of MLSE given MLSE's lukewarm support during the last NHL labour dispute. Would the NHL be inclined to do OTPP any favours? The point is that there must be some concern that this sale process may not be resolved until the 2012 offseason even if a buyer is found this year.
                              You would be correct. This is from Stephen Brotherston chat at HoopsWorld - he is the 'Raptor Guy' at HW:

The lack of info from MLSE is unnerving. What about BC's extension? Who's going to take responsibility for the draft? Just wondering if you've heard anything...
                              Stephen Brotherston:
                              Brian,

It is unnerving. It is also normal - I have been through this process many times in my professional career - the only information that gets released will designed to move the sale process along and there is a good chance that it isn't even true.

All we can do is wait. It appears that MLSE is the group that is holding up Colangelo's extension - but they aren't making any decisions so that leaves Colangelo to do the draft - All we can hope for is that he stays professional in his approach while he quietly warms up his resume.

If we are lucky - MLSE will get an acceptable bid in the first round due in late May and the new owner re-signs (or gives his okay) Colangelo immediately.

This isn't a good way to to handle this important decision - but perhaps there isn't a good way from MLSE's perspective.

On hold for now.........

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1KqiVWKgp

Comment

Working...
                              X