Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we don't draft KI, JB has be are starting PG next season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we don't draft KI, JB has be are starting PG next season!

If we don't draft Kyrie Irving in the draft, than Jerryd Bayless has to be are starting point next year.

Season Stats (With the Raptors only): 60 GP, 22.4 MPG, 10 PPG, 42.9 FG%, 34.8 3PT% 81 FT%, 4 APG, 2.5 RPG, 0.6 SPG, 1.83 TO
    Career Stats: 198 GP, 17.4 MPG, 7.6 PPG, 41 FG%, 32.1 3PT%, 81.7 FT%, 2.6 APG, 1.7 RPG, 0.4 SPG, 1.4 TO
    When the Raptors traded Jarrett Jack and David Andersen to the Hornets in the early part of the season, I was disappointed that Jack’s valuable contract made him more movable than Jose Calderon. I also thought it would be nice to see a three-point legend, Peja Stojakovic, dawn a Raptors jersey.
    But the thing that made the trade a no-doubter for me was the acquisition of Jerryd Bayless. I’ve always been high on Bayless, and still believe that he can be a starting point guard on a good team for years to come.
    Despite the fact that Bayless had appeared in 138 games, and started in 11 of those, over two-plus seasons in Portland and New Orleans, the truth was that he had never really been given a tremendous opportunity in terms of minutes played. When he was given that opportunity, he definitely raised some eyebrows in a Blazers uniform.
    Sure, most still saw him as a raw young guard that shot too much to be a point guard and was too small to be a shooting guard, but those same sceptics also knew that if he could figure it out, Bayless could be a star in the making.
    His opportunity to break out and shine arrived in the form of a trade to Toronto, where Bayless was paired with one of the youngest teams in the league during a rebuilding year, even if Bryan Colangelo wasn’t admitting that much at the time.
    Bayless probably didn’t have the immediate impact some Raptors fans were hoping for, and spent most of the season playing behind a better than expected Jose Calderon. However, there were nights throughout the season, like during the Raptors’ franchise-record comeback in Detroit and their undermanned win in Dallas, where Bayless showed the type of poise, swagger and leadership that still has some hopeful of the Arizona product’s NBA future.
    I won’t sugar-coat things – Jerryd definitely struggled at times. He especially struggled with trying to adapt to being a pure point guard rather than a shoot-first guard. But he also showed some positive signs of being a great passer and making good decisions while driving through the heart of the defense in the latter part of the season.
    Not to mention, Bayless is the first Raptors point guard in years who truly understands the importance of perimeter defense. And as we’ve learned painfully with other Raptors guards over the years, that’s not exactly something you can teach a guy.
    Bayless’ shooting numbers rose slightly with the Raptors, but I won’t pretend he shot the ball well enough to warrant him earning extra field goal attempts. What I will say is that Bayless is most effective when he is aggressive and drives to the basket, thus allowing him to either convert easier baskets, draw fouls, or find an open teammate. In addition, while shooting 34.8 per cent from three-point range isn’t spectacular, Bayless did provide signs of developing into an above-average three-point threat.
    To be honest, my biggest problem with Bayless’ first season as a Raptor is that he didn’t get enough of an opportunity or enough playing time, especially considering this season was supposed to be about a youth movement. When he finally got that opportunity towards the end of the season, the 22-year-old Bayless responded in impressive fashion.
    Over the final eight games of the season, Bayless logged over 37 minutes per game and scored at least 19 points in each of those games. He averaged 22.5 points on 48 per cent shooting, including 41 per cent three-point shooting, adding 5.6 assists and a steal per game for good measure.
    It would be silly to assume that just because Bayless finished this season with a bang, he is automatically going to carry that over into a great second season for the Raptors. However, it is just as foolish to simply dismiss Bayless’ final eight games when we’re talking about a 22-year-old who still has plenty of time and room to grow.
    This is a feisty, incredibly competitive and seemingly mature young man who brings the type of fire that Raptors fans have been yearning for quite some time. He appears to have the right attitude to succeed, and also appears to enjoy playing in Toronto.
    No one can guarantee that Jerryd Bayless will live up to his potential or even come close to it, but at 22-years-old there isn’t much risk to keeping him around and seeing what he becomes. The potential benefits of Bayless’ ceiling far outweigh any risk involved in committing to him next season.
    Of course, things could change drastically should the Raptors land Kyrie Irving in the draft or should they acquire a star point-guard in a trade. But if Jose Calderon and Jerryd Bayless return next season as the Raptors’ point guard combination, then Jerryd Bayless has to be the starter, alongside the Raptors’ other young athletes.
    Scott Carefoot’s take on Jerryd Bayless:
    It struck me that local media and fans were somewhat dismissive of Jerryd Bayless’ strong finish. I say this because it doesn’t seem like everyone is on board with the idea of Bayless taking over the starting point guard role for the Raptors next season. Sure, you can pinpoint flaws in his game — particularly his questionable decision-making with the ball and his shaky jumper — but when a 22-year-old has an eight-game run like Bayless had to close out the season, I pay attention. Granted, he has some maturing to do in terms of trusting his teammates more and being smarter with his shot selection, but I think he’s earned the right to show us if he can make those improvements while playing 30-plus minutes per game.
    Next up in our list of player evaluations is Jose Calderon, with that post coming later this week. Until then, debate the future of Jerryd Bayless in Toronto.
    @Chr1st1anL

I didn't read all that, but yes.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I really don't think we take a chance on another PG in draft unless his name is Kyrie Irving. Even though I like the idea of Brandon Knight as are pick if fall to 5th. JB needs is shot in this league he was a lottery pick for a reason.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        I didn't read all that, but yes.
        Haha yes very long but good summary. I agree he should be given every opportunity. True if we don't draft Irving then job should be Bayless' to learn or lose. He is more fitting to grow with the team than Caldy who is not a long term solution regardless.

Comment

I think we should draft Williams before Irving anyday because the potential gap is small and bayless has ridiculous potential.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
            I think we should draft Williams before Irving anyday because the potential gap is small and bayless has ridiculous potential.
            I don't know about that. That's what The Atlanta Hawks said about Marvin Williams over Chris Paul. Look how that turned out.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Marvin Williams never started a game. Derrick Williams is the most explosive and nba-ready player in the draft.

Comment

I totally agree with you. If the Raptors can draft Kyrie, then take him. If not, make Bayless our starting point guard and let Calderon run the 2nd unit. It would be a perfect fit.

Comment

Jerryd Bayless has a huge upside if given minutes. I'm tired of all the people saying him being a short-first PG won't work. Last time I check the top two PG(This year) were shot-first PG(Rose and Westbrook).
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

There is not excuse not to start him next year unless there is an Irving on the team. His decision making can't be any worse than Westbrook(lead the league in turnovers 3.8)
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I agree. I'm a big supporter of Bayless. I think if you give him an off season to train and play with his teammates he will be able to grow. it was also unfair to pair him up with Barbosa because you're pretty much guaranteed to never touch the ball and try and distribute.

Comment

I still like the way Jose runs the team, he does a better job getting guys the ball where they need it. If we are looking to establish DeMar or Bargnani (if he is still here) early in the game, Jose needs to be the starter. Having Jose start and play significant minutes early in the season could help his trade value around the league, especially if Toronto gets off to a decent start. I am not opposed t Bayless working his way into the starting lineup, but he has not really shown that much to warrant the position being his to loose. I also guarantee that even if Bayless is the starter it wont be him on the floor closing out games.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          I still like the way Jose runs the team, he does a better job getting guys the ball where they need it. If we are looking to establish DeMar or Bargnani (if he is still here) early in the game, Jose needs to be the starter. Having Jose start and play significant minutes early in the season could help his trade value around the league, especially if Toronto gets off to a decent start. I am not opposed t Bayless working his way into the starting lineup, but he has not really shown that much to warrant the position being his to loose. I also guarantee that even if Bayless is the starter it wont be him on the floor closing out games.
                          If were really serious about getting better at defense Bayless will start and get the majority of the minutes. When Bayless started DeMar never had a problem scoring. Getting the person the ball where they like it comes with chemistry and growth together. Calderon has the edge cause his played with DeRozan 2years and Bargnani 5years. Plus DeRozan should come back more improved and should be able create for himself more easily. Calderon would look better playing with the bench since his pass first.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

There is a huge difference on how a player plays at eh end of a season in meaningless games and how they play and effect the game early in a season when games still matter. If we go back to just our most recent example of Sonny Weems we will see that the hype machine comes with a 30 day or 30 minute what ever comes first warranty. Many, not all, but many fans thought Weems was going to blow up and play a big role with Toronto this past season.....how did that work out?

Bayless has the tools to be a solid contributor, but he has many question marks that still need to be answered. For people to just anoint him as a starter is shortsighted. At the end of the day you want wins, yes player development and long term improvement must be taken into account as well, but it is important for Toronto to get off to a good start next season, and in my opinion, Jose needs to be the starter to get that done. Bayless could turn into our next Alvin Williams, or he could be our next Jarett Jack.

When Boogie arrived he was not a starter, but played well off the bench and accepted his role, when needed he stepped in a started ball games gaining valuable experience. He was a true professional and in 2000/01 season the team was his and he played like a warrior.

Jack came in with a little bit of an inflated sense of self and could not handle the times when he had to come off the bench, he was a distraction to the team and the team never looked like a cohesive unity when he was running the team. He had the tools needed to be successful, but he did not put the team first.

Bayless struggled off the bench, it could be that he was still adjusting, or it could be that he feels he should be starting and can't accept a role the team has laid out for him. If it was just adjustment to a new team that kept him from playing well off the bench he will show that early next season and push Jose out the door or to the bench with his play. If he continues to struggle off the bench it shows me something about his mentality that puts up a red flag.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                              There is a huge difference on how a player plays at eh end of a season in meaningless games and how they play and effect the game early in a season when games still matter. If we go back to just our most recent example of Sonny Weems we will see that the hype machine comes with a 30 day or 30 minute what ever comes first warranty. Many, not all, but many fans thought Weems was going to blow up and play a big role with Toronto this past season.....how did that work out?

Bayless has the tools to be a solid contributor, but he has many question marks that still need to be answered. For people to just anoint him as a starter is shortsighted. At the end of the day you want wins, yes player development and long term improvement must be taken into account as well, but it is important for Toronto to get off to a good start next season, and in my opinion, Jose needs to be the starter to get that done. Bayless could turn into our next Alvin Williams, or he could be our next Jarett Jack.

When Boogie arrived he was not a starter, but played well off the bench and accepted his role, when needed he stepped in a started ball games gaining valuable experience. He was a true professional and in 2000/01 season the team was his and he played like a warrior.

Jack came in with a little bit of an inflated sense of self and could not handle the times when he had to come off the bench, he was a distraction to the team and the team never looked like a cohesive unity when he was running the team. He had the tools needed to be successful, but he did not put the team first.

Bayless struggled off the bench, it could be that he was still adjusting, or it could be that he feels he should be starting and can't accept a role the team has laid out for him. If it was just adjustment to a new team that kept him from playing well off the bench he will show that early next season and push Jose out the door or to the bench with his play. If he continues to struggle off the bench it shows me something about his mentality that puts up a red flag.
                              Bayless has already proven that he should start over Jose. The only perceived advantage Jose brings over Bayless is better court vision but really comparing assists as starters there isn't much of a difference. Jose seems to have lost confidence in his shot and is passing up a lot of open looks just to dump it off to someone who's covered.
                              As far as dismissing what Bayless did during the last eight "meaningless" games I look at it differently. It was his opportunity to shine and he took advantage of it as his line of 22.5 pts, 48 percent shooting and 41 percent for 3 points attests to. Who else on the team stepped up and played like those games meant something? It's not easy to get up for "meaningless" games and the fact that Bayless did means something to me.
                              When Bayless gets as many starts as Jose has had I doubt if the comparison will even be close.

Comment

Working...
                              X