Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we don't draft KI, JB has be are starting PG next season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

j bean wrote: View Post
    Bayless has already proven that he should start over Jose. The only perceived advantage Jose brings over Bayless is better court vision but really comparing assists as starters there isn't much of a difference. Jose seems to have lost confidence in his shot and is passing up a lot of open looks just to dump it off to someone who's covered.
    As far as dismissing what Bayless did during the last eight "meaningless" games I look at it differently. It was his opportunity to shine and he took advantage of it as his line of 22.5 pts, 48 percent shooting and 41 percent for 3 points attests to. Who else on the team stepped up and played like those games meant something? It's not easy to get up for "meaningless" games and the fact that Bayless did means something to me.
    When Bayless gets as many starts as Jose has had I doubt if the comparison will even be close.
    I couldn't agree more. His on his last year of his contract and if ends a flop than we don't resign him it's as simple as that. Unlike Calderon who seem stuck to usfor life. Even though I think he would be a perfect backup especially with leandro and amir coming off the bench with him.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
      Bayless has already proven that he should start over Jose. The only perceived advantage Jose brings over Bayless is better court vision but really comparing assists as starters there isn't much of a difference. Jose seems to have lost confidence in his shot and is passing up a lot of open looks just to dump it off to someone who's covered.
      As far as dismissing what Bayless did during the last eight "meaningless" games I look at it differently. It was his opportunity to shine and he took advantage of it as his line of 22.5 pts, 48 percent shooting and 41 percent for 3 points attests to. Who else on the team stepped up and played like those games meant something? It's not easy to get up for "meaningless" games and the fact that Bayless did means something to me.
      When Bayless gets as many starts as Jose has had I doubt if the comparison will even be close.
      Please elaborate how leading a team to a 2 and 6 record over the last 8 games of a season going against teams that are resting their starters proves he has shown he should be the starter. I am not a Bayless hater, I feel he has potential to be a solid regular contributor, but seriously, 14 games started for a season and a good stretch of 8 games and people anoint him the starter. In those last 8 games he shot the ball well but averaged 5.6 assists on 2.75 turnovers per game....not exactly lighting the world on fire. I want Bayless to succeed, I feel he could be a great piece for Toronto going forward if we can get him on a decent contract, but he is not quite ready to just take the reigns and run with it. Like I said in an earlier post, he could be our next Alvin Williams, or he could be Jack....but nobody wanted to address that.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        Please elaborate how leading a team to a 2 and 6 record over the last 8 games of a season going against teams that are resting their starters proves he has shown he should be the starter. I am not a Bayless hater, I feel he has potential to be a solid regular contributor, but seriously, 14 games started for a season and a good stretch of 8 games and people anoint him the starter. In those last 8 games he shot the ball well but averaged 5.6 assists on 2.75 turnovers per game....not exactly lighting the world on fire. I want Bayless to succeed, I feel he could be a great piece for Toronto going forward if we can get him on a decent contract, but he is not quite ready to just take the reigns and run with it. Like I said in an earlier post, he could be our next Alvin Williams, or he could be Jack....but nobody wanted to address that.
        What's Calderon record as a starter? You act like Calderon being a starter has worked out some well for us. If anything we need a change. Maybe the pass-first point guard just isn't the way. Bayless plays better D and he can put pressure on on other point guards (sometimes your best defense is your offense).
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

You're arguing Jose over Bayless to start and my point is that Jose is in the middle echelon of starting PG [and that is being kind]and that isn't about to change any time soon unless it is to the lower echelon. At least with Bayless there is a chance he'll be more than that.
          As far as Bayless being our next A Williams I think he could be better.
          Last edited by j bean; Thu May 5, 2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Calderon is playing it safe. That's obviously not working. We need to start taking some chances. Calderon said he want to play Fiba this summer and the summers to come so you know what that injuries galore.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Start Bayless, let him grow. Put up or shut up. It is still the rebuild, not playoff time. If he shines great, if not we have Calderon to fall back on. Playing Jose just to say he wins us games, arguable, while NOT developing a potential long term talent for the team (which Jose is not), is foolish. See what you have, grow and relish, or move on. Decision cannot be made without putting his feet to the fire.

I have always liked Bayless, and very happy we got him. I was absolutely pissed when he was not started from all-star break (at least) onwards in a rebuilding year. Develop the damn talent, or at the very least assess it. Same goes for playing ED and Amir this past year instead of Reggie...but that is another thread.

Comment

Why does a player have to start to develop for the (near) future? Any scrub can put up number playing 35 minutes a night, but what are they doing to help the team be better. I am not getting into a Jose vs. Bayless debate, I am wanting to know why a guy who has washed out with two teams is all of a sudden the guy that should be our starter. How is he any different than Weems last year and James Johnson this year? Grow as a player with the opportunities you earn, not by being given a job you have not earned.

This is my last post in this thread because it seems that people are not getting what I am saying, I don't want to change anyones mind, but I would surely like to hear better arguments that its a rebuild.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Why does a player have to start to develop for the (near) future? Any scrub can put up number playing 35 minutes a night, but what are they doing to help the team be better. I am not getting into a Jose vs. Bayless debate, I am wanting to know why a guy who has washed out with two teams is all of a sudden the guy that should be our starter. How is he any different than Weems last year and James Johnson this year? Grow as a player with the opportunities you earn, not by being given a job you have not earned.

This is my last post in this thread because it seems that people are not getting what I am saying, I don't want to change anyones mind, but I would surely like to hear better arguments that its a rebuild.
                  Ya probably are not reading this, but either way, it is arguable about Jose as well. I am all for a Kyrie irving in the draft, but if we don't have that opportunity, how is it that Jose, with his defense, is making the team better. There is an argument there as well.

To me the team visibly plays more fluidly with Jose running the show, but that is negated when Barbosa is in the game. Who knows, it would be good to see how it plays out.

Comment

It's not that we don't get what you are saying. It's just hard to agree with you when you say something like any scrub can put up numbers playing 35 min a game but what are they doing to help the team be better?
                    If you are saying Jose could do more than Bayless to help the team in the future then maybe you know something the rest of us doesn't but you haven't explained how Jose has earned the starters role over Bayless.

Comment

if bayless is a scrub what does that make jose? jose is a washed up PG who plays terrible defence and is having problems getting off a shot in offense. Bayless is an explosive scorer who can also distribute the ball quite well, he is also clutch in late game situations. And he almost single handedly bought us back from a 25 point deficit in detroit. This guy should start no matter what you say.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                        if bayless is a scrub what does that make jose? jose is a washed up PG who plays terrible defence and is having problems getting off a shot in offense. Bayless is an explosive scorer who can also distribute the ball quite well, he is also clutch in late game situations. And he almost single handedly bought us back from a 25 point deficit in detroit. This guy should start no matter what you say.
                        How is Calderon washed up? If Calderon's around at the start of next season, he should start. He's a true floor general, gets everyone involved and is a calming influence on the floor, which is important, especially with a young team.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          How is Calderon washed up? If Calderon's around at the start of next season, he should start. He's a true floor general, gets everyone involved and is a calming influence on the floor, which is important, especially with a young team.
                          You know what's more important on a young team? Development! What's the point of getting all theses young player if we don't play them. I would understand if was Steve Nash but, Jose Calderon. I'm not saying he should get traded just that he shouldn't start.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The LAST time!

I never said Bayless was a scrub, I was just saying even scrubs can put up numbers when playing 30 minutes.

Why does Bayless have to start to develop? Can he not develop with 20 plus minutes off the bench each and every game?
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              Jose was good for less than 10 points a game last year while playing over 30 min. When he turns down open looks and passes because he's unsure of his shot that isn't being a true floor general. When you combine that with his defensive challenges I think he's contributing more of a losing influence than a calming influence. Another point to consider is why is there always a controversy with Jose on whether he should start or come off the bench no matter who the other PG is?

Comment

Bayless was not consistent enough last season to enter this season as the primary player at PG. It's fine for him to learn and grow off the bench. Hundreds of players have been successful by doing this.

Comment

Working...
                                X