Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft Hindsight Thread: Missed Opportunties (2001-Present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeff_hostetler
    replied
    Employee wrote: View Post
    Good idea but I think you're missing a few, especially the Blazers come to mind. And I would include Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo (I know Mayo was a draft day trade).
    I specifically didn't include draft day trades, because I didn't feel like spending the extra time to do so. The above list is explicitly players drafted and playing for the same team. Guys like Brandon Roy, Nicholas Batum, OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol....have only ever played for one team, but it's not on the team that drafted them.

It would be interesting to see a separate list of the players sent off in draft-day trades since 2001 that are still on the team they were traded to. All of the ones I mentioned above are pretty excellent.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Thu May 12, 2011, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    replied
    jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Since 2001? I'll just do playoff teams (bracketed number is number of players who've always been on that team - if a player has since been reacquired after having been traded. those players are represented by with a *).

76ers: 6 (Iguodala, Speights, Williams, Turner, Holliday, Young)
    Grizzlies: 5(4) (Battier*, Conley, Vasquez, Young, Henry)
    Thunder: 5 (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison)
    Pacers: 5 (Granger, George, Hansbrough, Price, Stephenson)
    Spurs: 4 (Parker, Hill, Blair, Splitter)
    Hawks: 4 (Smith, Williams, Horford, Teague)
    Blazers: 3 (Armon Johnson, Mills, Oden)
    Knicks: 3 (Douglas, Fields, Rautins)
    Celtics: 3(1) (Green*, D.West*, Bradley)
    Bulls: 3 (Noah, Rose, Gibson)
    Magic: 2 (Howard, Reddick)
    Lakers: 2 (Bynum, Ebanks)
    Hornets: 2 (Paul, West)
    Heat: 1 (Wade)
    Nuggets: 0
    Mavericks: 0
    Good idea but I think you're missing a few, especially the Blazers come to mind. And I would include Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo (I know Mayo was a draft day trade).

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    That's what this thread essentially is... By the way, welcome to the board.

Leave a comment:

• pgrindhard
    replied
    why not make a thread about the wasted picks raptors made!!!

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Since 2001? I'll just do playoff teams (bracketed number is number of players who've always been on that team - if a player has since been reacquired after having been traded. those players are represented by with a *).

Below I have taken some of the teams mentioned above who are known for drafting well and I have counted the number of player drafted by them between 2001-2009 who no longer play for that team:

Blazers: 20
    Bulls: 19
    Thunder: 18
    Spurs: 15

The Raptors' count is 11.

Leave a comment:

• jeff_hostetler
    replied
    nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    I wonder how other teams compare to that

Leave a comment:

• nubreed000
    replied
    What I find interesting about that list is that, of all the players the team has drafted in the past 10 years, only 3 players are still on the team, and it's quite possible - if not likely - that one of those 3 will not be here when the season starts.
    I wonder how other teams compare to that

Leave a comment:

• Deadallus
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah. I think Ed and DeMar are long term keepers. The Raptors need to continue to treat them well and build a strong group with little turnover around them. For example, if Bosh had a strong team that performed relatively well with little turnover he may have looked past the off court temptations of Miami and signed an extension. A strong locker room has untold power.

Players don't leave the Raptors because it's the Raptors, they leave the Raptors because the team is not fulfilling their career aspirations.
    Don't fool yourself, there is nothing that could have or would have kept Bosh in Raptors uni.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Yeah. I think Ed and DeMar are long term keepers. The Raptors need to continue to treat them well and build a strong group with little turnover around them. For example, if Bosh had a strong team that performed relatively well with little turnover he may have looked past the off court temptations of Miami and signed an extension. A strong locker room has untold power.

Players don't leave the Raptors because it's the Raptors, they leave the Raptors because the team is not fulfilling their career aspirations.

Leave a comment:

• jeff_hostetler
    replied
    What I find interesting about that list is that, of all the players the team has drafted in the past 10 years, only 3 players are still on the team, and it's quite possible - if not likely - that one of those 3 will not be here when the season starts.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Colangelo has drafted well in Toronto. Ed Davis, DeMar DeRozan and Andrea Bargnani are all good players in their own ways. The only players he's taken in Toronto who have not succeeded have been second rounders Nathan Jawai and PJ Tucker. The majority of second round selections in general fail. It's uncommon for second rounders to stick in the league. I know some do, and someone may feel compelled to list them but that far majority fail. Colangelo has one of the best draft histories in the league. It's one area where he's excelled.

Leave a comment:

• grindhouse
    replied
    just for the record not trying to criticize bc but just pointing out our last 10 years has been pretty bad as a whole.

Leave a comment:

• Raptors_
    replied
    Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Haha, enlightment just got... enlightened. =)
    lol nice

Leave a comment:

• Quixotic
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure how those seasons happened BECAUSE of the Vince trade, especially when one of the 33 win seasons took place WITH Vince. And the next season the team was 7-13 when Vince was traded, to finish with 33 wins.

And by the way, before the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons was a 24 win season.

And unless you're agreeing with me, none of that has anything to do with Colangelo.
    Haha, enlightment just got... enlightened. =)

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    enlightenment wrote: View Post
    you mean the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons that happened because of the vince trade?
    I'm not sure how those seasons happened BECAUSE of the Vince trade, especially when one of the 33 win seasons took place WITH Vince. And the next season the team was 7-13 when Vince was traded, to finish with 33 wins.

And by the way, before the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons was a 24 win season.

And unless you're agreeing with me, none of that has anything to do with Colangelo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X