Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft Profile: Jan Vesely

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I'd also be extremely unhappy if some team drafting 6-10 gets a cornerstone-type player while we get Walker and Walker turns out to be a sixth man type that I think he's going to be. =)
    I think the chances of Kanter, Val, Knight, Walker, Leonard, Thompson and Burks being cornerstones player is higher. The guy can't shoot, can't handle and opposing coaches in Euroleague are calling ISO on him when he's on defense because his man-to-man is so bad. AK47 was good at man on right out of the gate. Marion was an immediate impact player and Nash wasn't even in town then. What it sounds like to me is that whoever takes him is taking big size, high athleticism and warehouse full of question marks. I've seen it in what feels like a million times in the draft, he has bust written all over him in my opinion and I feel when a team is picking 5th it is their duty to make sure they take a guy who they feel has a lot of room to grow but at the same time isn't a "clean slate". I personally think Joey Graham was a much more rounded prospect than Jan Vesely and look how he went. On my list I have him 10th. Joey was being mocked in at as high as 8th or 9th in a much deeper(perceived at least) draft.

    Comment


    • #17
      Apollo wrote: View Post
      I think the chances of Kanter, Val, Knight, Walker, Leonard, Thompson and Burks being cornerstones player is higher. The guy can't shoot, can't handle and opposing coaches in Euroleague are calling ISO on him when he's on defense because his man-to-man is so bad. AK47 was good at man on right out of the gate. Marion was an immediate impact player and Nash wasn't even in town then. What it sounds like to me is that whoever takes him is taking big size, high athleticism and warehouse full of question marks. I've seen it in what feels like a million times in the draft, he has bust written all over him in my opinion and I feel when a team is picking 5th it is their duty to make sure they take a guy who they feel has a lot of room to grow but at the same time isn't a "clean slate". I personally think Joey Graham was a much more rounded prospect than Jan Vesely and look how he went. On my list I have him 10th. Joey was being mocked in at as high as 8th or 9th in a much deeper(perceived at least) draft.
      I think you misunderstand what I meant. =) I'm not high on Vesely, never have been, and don't think the Raptors should pick him at all. I don't think Vesely will be a 3 in the NBA and don't think a Vesely/Davis front court would take us very far, even if he was almost as good as AK47.

      What I meant was more a slight at Walker. I wouldn't pick Vesely over Walker, but I hope to not have to pick Walker either. I don't think his ceiling is as high as a lot of other people on here do (so far, I've seen him compared by others, not you, to AI, Zeke, Nash and CP3, among others), and while I have no idea who will become the steal of the 2011 draft 3-5 years from now, I'm willing to bet it won't be Kemba if he's taken at #5. I'm really hoping Utah doesn't care so much between Kanter and Knight, and takes a cool $3 mil from us to swap positions.

      Comment


      • #18
        Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        He is being compared to Shawn Marion and Andrei Kirilenko by Fran Fraschilla (ESPN Insider)

        Future position
        While Vesely has shown the versatility to play both forward positions, especially defensively, I see him more as a power forward early in his NBA career. To me, that position in the league is broken down into three distinct styles right now: low post players, "stretch the defense" shooters and energy players who can play without the ball. Vesely's elite athleticism, ability to run the court and play above the rim puts him in that third category.

        Athleticism
        Compared to most in this draft, Vesely's athletic ability is off the charts. You don't need to see him at a combine to figure that out.

        I've compared his jumping ability to former Sonics and Suns star Tom Chambers. While that's admittedly an old school reference, the bottom line is that Vesely is one of the most electric dunkers in Europe and that will translate to the NBA. He gets his head at the rim on takeoff.

        Coupling his running and jumping ability with his agility and length makes him, potentially, an outstanding defender. In fact, his easiest adjustment to the NBA may be on the defensive end of the floor.

        Skill level
        Offensively, Vesely is more comfortable at power forward because of an inconsistent jump shot and below average ballhandling skills, but both areas can be improved. If an NBA team is looking for a player with a complete offensive package, he is not the guy yet.

        However, because Vesely's shot is not broken, its improvement will certainly keep NBA defenses honest. And another thing I love about Vesely is his ability to play without the ball and get behind defenses for lobs or offensive rebounds. Coupled with some run-out baskets, Vesely will be able to make an offensive contribution even when a team runs few plays for him.

        Attitude and disposition
        While Vesely, like many European players, will be a low maintenance player for coaches to deal with, he has started to show a degree of passion as he has matured. Playing for Partizan, one of Europe's most storied teams that features one of the most rabid fan bases, has added to that passion on the court.

        Some have even said that he has more "nasty" in him since arriving in Belgrade and that should serve him well as he enters the league. However, it has not yet translated into Vesely rebounding the power forward position like he will need to in the NBA.

        Best case scenario: Andrei Kirilenko/Shawn Marion
        The comparisons to Kirilenko are logical because both are athletic European forwards who play with great energy but are under-skilled offensively. The team that drafts Vesely would certainly be satisfied with Kirilenko-type production over the course of his career.

        But if Vesely wants to swing for the fences, the best case scenario would be for him to emulate the career of Marion, a four-time NBA All-Star who has had an
        This is the basketball equivalent of beer goggles.

        Comment


        • #19
          hateslosing wrote: View Post
          I'd just like to point out that Vesely was considered a lottery pick last year before he pulled out. Considering how much stronger last year's class is compared to this year's I don't see how you can say he shouldn't be in the lottery.
          He is a top 10 pick in this draft and if you don't think so I would suggest you spend more time watching him.
          I said he'd be in the lottery, but a late lottery pick. I live in Europe, so I watch a lot of European basketball, and from watching I think that Vesely is maybe the third or forth best European prospect in this draft. He's definitely behind Kanter and Valanciunas, and Mirotic is a more complete forward.

          He's a player who people rank highly because of the potential he has, because he is a 6'11 athletic forward. What he does on the floor is very basic, some drives to the basket, a couple flashy dunks, a few putbacks. And all the talk about his IQ at 6'11 is BS in my opinion, the same was said about Bargnani.

          Also, by watching him play, I can also tell you that he hasn't improved from last year. He should've improved his game if he had so much potential.

          I like Vesely, but he wouldn't be my pick at number 5. If late lottery teams take him, they'll have a decent player who could end up being a steal, but the Raptors can't risk that right now. Best player should be picked, and he's not going to be the best player available at the 5th pick.

          Comment


          • #20
            Jan Vesely At 5 not a bad idea...

            Listen, stock piling talent is the best way to do things in the NBA. We are a squad with very little talent worth keeping other then fringe Demar and Ed Davis. Jan Vesely is probably going to be the most talented player on the board when we are selecting and that is who we should choose. Take for example the Thunder. Westbrook, is more of a two guard then a pure point. Durant plays the two and the three, occasionally four. In the same draft they acquired Jeff Green who basically was a poor man's Durant. Harden is a two guard who can play the three. What I am saying is that even though the players overlap, their talent has allowed them to figure it out. Draft Vesely and let his talent along with Demar's and Ed's figure out his position and role on the team. Don't just draft for a fit. That's how we ended up with Rafael Arujauo.

            Comment


            • #21
              Big difference between a guy who can play multiple positions and a guy who can play none.
              You can find me on Twitter.

              Comment


              • #22
                +1
                ya dun noe

                Comment


                • #23
                  No thanks, I'll pass
                  We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Listen to Rapcast #108 for a good discussion on Vesely.

                    Your argument about stockpiling talent is sound, but ask yourself whether drafting Knight or Walker would be much different. In addition to bringing in talent, they also fit a positional need for the Raptors. As much as it is about drafting the best player available, some consideration needs to be given to what the team currently needs.

                    As stated in numerous threads here and on the main site including the latest Rapcast, the Raptors cannot afford to invest in a big project at this point, given BC's deal. There's also big question marks about his position in the league, which under normal circumstance I'd ignore if he was a certified baller, but he's not, he's a project. The Raptors have a mandate of getting better defensively, and from all accounts he is a guy who has the tools to be a good defender but isn't. Assuming DX is a reputable source:

                    Also, I'll be merging this thread with the one dedicated to Vesely (if I can find it).

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I would be extremely unhappy with a project if that project bust while some team drafting 6-10 gets Walker and Walker turns out to be the stud I think he's going to be.
                      Yeah like the Hawks bypassing on CP3 to draft Marvin Williams. A big red flag is his 43.8 ft %. That is ridiculous for a sf. He may indeed be a chronically bad shooter destined not to improve anytime soon. WHat the use of getting to the rim and getting fouled and not making your f. shots.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You don't gamble on a player with a top 5 pick. The guy has questions marks with all facets of his shooting game and I didn't here anything until this article, that he could actually guard the three or bang with a NBA 4.

                        I mean we drafted Alabi, on the potential that he could become a good centre. Vesely would be a similar gamble at the number 5 spot, where we would be similarly dissapointed.

                        I'll pass, thank you. He's a borderline lottery talent in a weak draft class.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Bendit wrote: View Post
                          Yeah like the Hawks bypassing on CP3 to draft Marvin Williams. A big red flag is his 43.8 ft %. That is ridiculous for a sf. He may indeed be a chronically bad shooter destined not to improve anytime soon. WHat the use of getting to the rim and getting fouled and not making your f. shots.
                          How's he getting to the rim in the NBA when he has no handle? Last time I checked Jose Calderon is the most conservative passer in the league and Bayless currently lacks the abilities of a top flight passer. So, who's giving him easy buckets and how much more trouble is it going to be for this mystery player to create those open looks when defenses can cheat because they know Vesely couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X