Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Marc Stein: In addition to Boston's Lawrence Frank, NBA coaching sources confirm Raptors will request permission to interview Mavs assistant Dwane Casey. Twitter
    Casey never got a shot after Minnesota. He was fired when they were .500 and the team has never sniffed mediocrity since.

Leave a comment:

• Hassan
    replied
    IMO players matter way more then coach, you can have the best defensive coach ever but i guarantee you bargs will still suck on d.

Leave a comment:

• RaptorsFan4Life
    replied
    O god...

Leave a comment:

• AJM
    replied
    Byron Scott led Cavs to a 26 losing streak, does that mean he is not a good coach?! He just didn't have enough talent in that roster. So just because Nets sucked two years ago it doesn't mean Frank Lawrence is not a decent coach.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Frank was passed over for the Rockets job and has interviewed with GS (no answer there yet). Someone wrote he revamped the Thibodeau defense in Boston! Why? Didnt that win a trophy? Bad move. They lost.

Leave a comment:

• Mack North
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    I hope so - my vote LF !!!!!
    he's young
    he's hungry
    he's smart
    let's not forget he led those Nets to a what 0-17 start two seasons ago? I'm not saying he's the wrong choice but let's not forget what he's done with crappy teams, which the Raps are...

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I'm not totally enthused by Frank. I would rather see Maurice Cheeks, I think he would be a good fit for this team. Good personality, player coach, and defensive minded.

Leave a comment:

• Quixotic
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Yet another data point to show that most coaches don't really make any difference. Talent wins. If Triano had Lebron, Wade and Bosh I'm sure we'd be talking about what a great coach he is. Remember when Spoelstra couldn't coach at the start of the year? Now, his complicated defensive schemes are the backbone of Miami's success. Gimme a break.

Just like Rivers. Doc Rivers couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in 2006. Suddenly, he learns how to coach and his team wins 40 more games! Oh wait, suddenly Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are worth 40 more wins! Shocking how that works.
    I agree. When you have a glut of potential hall of famers on your team, it's not so much coaching as it is letting the players do their thing, or at most managing their egos.

The Triano move is largely symbolic. The team can only get better, but it will seem like the new coach was responsible. I do think Adelman would make a difference though (I don't know the other coaches that well). Anyone that could get that crippled (Yao-less, McGrady-less) Rockets team to play the way they did... not that it matters much for the Raptors until we get more talent.

Leave a comment:

• charlz
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    I think he'd be perfect. He wouldn't command the salary Adelman or JVG would, but he's a high quality coach in his own right. What he did with that Nets team when j-kidd stopped giving a fuck is pretty commendable.
    I hope so - my vote LF !!!!!
    he's young
    he's hungry
    he's smart

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Not arguing for Frank but Rivers didn't do that much better in his last year with Orlando before being fired (1-10), and was pretty mediocre (.467 win pct, .364 win pct in the playoffs) before Ainge got him Garnett and Allen.
    Yet another data point to show that most coaches don't really make any difference. Talent wins. If Triano had Lebron, Wade and Bosh I'm sure we'd be talking about what a great coach he is. Remember when Spoelstra couldn't coach at the start of the year? Now, his complicated defensive schemes are the backbone of Miami's success. Gimme a break.

Just like Rivers. Doc Rivers couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in 2006. Suddenly, he learns how to coach and his team wins 40 more games! Oh wait, suddenly Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are worth 40 more wins! Shocking how that works.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Employee wrote: View Post
    Let us not forget his glorious 0-16 start to get himself fired the last time he was a head coach. The more I think about it, the less I want him. Hard to say. I think he'd be a great assistant coach to kick in the defense but he's already got a job for that.
    I don't have anything against Frank and I'd be ambivalent if they hired him. I just don't think he makes much of a difference either way. That's my issue. I couldn't care less about firing/retaining Triano but if you're going to replace him I think they need to try and find a difference-maker. Otherwise, it's just firing a coach for the sake of getting a new guy. Might be good for optics but substantively it doesn't make any difference.

Leave a comment:

• Quixotic
    replied
    Not arguing for Frank but Rivers didn't do that much better in his last year with Orlando before being fired (1-10), and was pretty mediocre (.467 win pct, .364 win pct in the playoffs) before Ainge got him Garnett and Allen.

Leave a comment:

• e2thed
    replied
    I can see Brian Shaw, or Adelman taking this job.

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Count me in the not interested category. I'm firmly in the no retreads camp unless you're talking an elite guy like Sloan and those guys ain't coming to Toronto.
    Let us not forget his glorious 0-16 start to get himself fired the last time he was a head coach. The more I think about it, the less I want him. Hard to say. I think he'd be a great assistant coach to kick in the defense but he's already got a job for that.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Employee wrote: View Post
    Coaching is funny eh? Most of us want this guy (myself included), but in his whole career he's never even had a 50 win season and has a career .483 winning percentage.
    Count me in the not interested category. I'm firmly in the no retreads camp unless you're talking an elite guy like Sloan and those guys ain't coming to Toronto.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X