Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else scared that BC is backed into a 2 year corner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls of Steel
    replied
    Fear is a great motivator. The cushy five year deals are long gone in this new climate. He needs to stop bringing in his friends and start approaching minds that may actually go against his thinking once in a while. I posted this before when Alex Anthopoulos went in as GM, he took the best coach possible. John Farrell went ahead and took the unusual road of not bringing in his coaches. The Jays, as young as they are, in the league's toughest division, remains competitive. I'm sick and tired of "his people" (see Maurizio Gherardini). And look at what happens when things don't work out (they stay on as "consultants" - further burdening the franchise with useless people on the payroll).

I'm sure MG will be retained as the special assistant to the traveling secretary (see George Costanza). Get working on the Penske file Maurizio!

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I'm not scared at all. I'm actually a little relieved that they made a decision. It was been stalled for too long. Colangelo has mentioned he may look to hire an experienced GM to take that title. He wants another strong basketball mind in the head office. I don't know if that was an indirect hit to Maurizio but things are changing in Raptorsland. Colangelo has publicly changed his vision of what he's looking for in a team. He's back now so when need to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he does. He's won two executive of the year awards. He knows his ball and now he's saying the right things. Over the past or so he's also been doing the right things in the draft. I've been saying for a while now it's foreshadowing of a philosophy change.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Not at all. The time to be scared was this year with an expiring contract and just losing the best player with a $14.5M TPE on the table. Measurable growth is not hard to achieve when you have a 22 win season to build on. There is a team option for year 3 so if the team is not knocking on the door of the playoffs in 2 seasons, it is debatable to keep him on for the third year and if they are there in 3 years it is time for him to go anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Anyone else scared that BC is backed into a 2 year corner?

I think this one's on ownership. Giving a GM like BC 2 short seasons to get your team to show solid, measurable growth is tough. Doing it while trying to climb out of the basement, without a real franchise player and without the pick to land one, while heading into a tightening financial situation, puts BC right back where he was with Bosh, only with less talent and yet another rookie coach/system/roles/required practice time. To a guy that likes to take risks and move pieces around rather than let things develop, that's a good reason to deal and hope it works out.

Could be a crazy couple of years.
Working...
X