No announcement yet.

Casey Is Our Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I would like an experienced coach, I was questioning how useful or necessary it would be considering how young we are and how much basic basketball we need to learn. There was some real consternation around the league when Casey was fired by Minny. Besides, what established coach would want to take a chance on a borderline 30 win team anyway?

For your consideration, just a couple of articles I read below:

http://www.reclinergm.com/who-is-dwa...hing-position/

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/...urn=nba-243594
    "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
    -Newsradio

Comment

Then why fire Jay Triano? If they hire Casey then the firing of Jay Triano makes no sense to me.

Comment

As much Casey is doing some impressive work with the Mavs at the moment, Woodson is still at the top of my list.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Then why fire Jay Triano? If they hire Casey then the firing of Jay Triano makes no sense to me.
          This.
          “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

If this ends up being the case I can't say I'll be surprised. The Mavs are a very similarly built squad to us (albeit much better) and picking up an assistant who seems to have helped their defense a lot is makes sense. I agree with Apollo that a more established coach would have been nice, but I personally like Casey. Plus any coach who assisted Rick Carlisle, George Karl, and Nate McMillan must have picked a few things up. Shawn Marion's glowing review also makes me feel better about it.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

The main reason I can give for firing Jay is that someone had to pay for a 22 win season, BC can show he's serious, and Casey is a respected coach around the NBA. Cosmetic changes are often enough to placate MLSE
              -Newsradio

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                As much Casey is doing some impressive work with the Mavs at the moment, Woodson is still at the top of my list.
                Some might say that Jay has done some impressive work with both Canada's and the United States' basketball programs and has developed talent in the ACC. I wanted to see Jay fired so that they could bring in an established head coach. That's not what we're getting if Casey is hired. The guy is 54 years old and has only managed to find a lead role for a year and a half. That should tell you all you need to know.

Comment

Yeah but that's not our problem. Our problem is that we have to endure GM's cheaping out on guys who aren't established and hoping that they hit a dinger. My view is that it's a hell of a lot easier to hit one out of the park when you're not blindfolded. I don't think it's so much to ask for when I say I would like them to sign a guy who's made his mistakes with another organization.
                  One could argue Casey already made his mistakes with Minny. He has been in the running for just about every head coaching job since he was fired there. An established name with previous success is no guarantee of future success. Recent examples include Flip Saunders in Washington, Eddie Jordan in Philadephia, Larry Brown in NY and Charlotte.

Comment

Also, not every assistant coach is a Jay Triano, every situation is unique, and there are a lot of people whose opinion I trust and whose opinions I don't trust endorsing Casey, so I say why the hell not.
                    -Newsradio

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      One could argue Casey already made his mistakes with Minny. He has been in the running for just about every head coaching job since he was fired there. An established name with previous success is no guarantee of future success. Recent examples include Flip Saunders in Washington, Eddie Jordan in Philadephia, Larry Brown in NY and Charlotte.
                      What really is "in the running"? I could translate that to mean he's tossed his name in the hat for every job opening since Minnesota and nobody has been interested...

And I'm not saying an established guy guarantees success. An experienced pilot doesn't guarantee that you don't die in a plane crash but in a storm who do you want flying the plane, the experienced pilot or the guy who grew up watching Teletubbies?

Comment

What really is "in the running"? I could translate that to mean he's tossed his name in the hat for every job opening since Minnesota and nobody has been interested...

And I'm not saying an established guy guarantees success. An experienced pilot doesn't guarantee that you don't die in a plane crash but in a storm who do you want flying the plane, the experienced pilot or the guy who grew up watching Teletubbies?
                        My understanding was he has interviewed for a number of positions which is what I meant by in the running.

Comment

So he has been rejected countless times. That's what I take away from that. Swing and a miss for three straight years and now the Raptors are going to be the guys who decide it's a good idea to go down this road yet again... They almost always do this. I'm not a big Lenny Wilkens fan but the only time the Raptors had even a glimmer of success it was with an establish, battle tested head coach.

Comment

Captain Haddock wrote: View Post
                            As much as I would like an experienced coach, I was questioning how useful or necessary it would be considering how young we are and how much basic basketball we need to learn. There was some real consternation around the league when Casey was fired by Minny. Besides, what established coach would want to take a chance on a borderline 30 win team anyway?

For your consideration, just a couple of articles I read below:

http://www.reclinergm.com/who-is-dwa...hing-position/

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/...urn=nba-243594
                            Some of the more interesting points in the first attached article:

“We don’t want to be the eighth seed,” McHale said when he fired Casey, and man, did he ever get his wish. Newly instated coach Randy Wittman went 12-30 the rest of the way as Minnesota finished well out of the money. The defense that thrived under Casey almost immediately went in the tank, as the Wolves were one of the league’s bottom three teams in defensive efficiency over the final 42 games

This for a team that was predicted to be a lottery, high lottery (top 5-7 pick at worst) team and yet were 8th in the west.

He had top 10 (8th I believe) team defensive efficiency with Garnet, Mark Blount and rookie Craig Smith (who?) as his only big men.

My favorite quote was Kevin McHale’s complaint that, “We started the season with certain goals and expectations that have not been met.” What pray tell, were the expectations? Casey had the team in the playoffs as the No. 8 seed in the West on the day he was fired, something which would have won him coach of the year had he kept it up. But McHale somehow thought his trash heap of undesirable contracts was capable of more. In fact, owner Glen Taylor reportedly told Casey that the team was capable of making it to the Western Conference finals. (This might technically be true, but I couldn’t verify if the Hungarian Basketball Association had split into conferences.)

Defensive focused coach
                            •Said to be a disciplinarian one who won’t let players run over him but not an authoritarian who over coaches and doesn’t accept thoughtful input from key players, assistant coaches or advanced scouts and statisticians.
                            Good at developing players and is fantastic with his game preparation and maximizing practice time.
                            •According to Dean Oliver who was with the Supersonics while Casey was an assistant, Dwane does use advanced statistical analysis as part of his coaching toolbox.
                            Worrisome and reminds us of...
                            •Said to have weird/questionable rotations and substitution patterns and well as still learning/lacking with his in-game management and adjustments such as when to call timeouts and what is executed out of timeouts.
                            This is what needs to be flushed out, has he learned anything in the last 4yrs. Perhaps yes, but word is he would still need a very strong offensive assistant.

Comment

I am still Adelman, Woodson/Casey.

Comment

Some might say that Jay has done some impressive work with both Canada's and the United States' basketball programs and has developed talent in the ACC. I wanted to see Jay fired so that they could bring in an established head coach. That's not what we're getting if Casey is hired. The guy is 54 years old and has only managed to find a lead role for a year and a half. That should tell you all you need to know.
                                The reason I didn't want Triano fired was because no established, respected coach is going to want to come to a 22 win team without a sure-fire All-Star on the roster and the 5th pick in a weak draft. You have to have make the position a lot more attractive, and it's not going to be until there are upgrades in the roster, which will take, at least, a year.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X