• LBF
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    he is class enough not to announce it during the finals
    ya unlike the guy last year, i'm looking at you mr. thibodeau

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    I think that Casey is Bryan's man. Just the fact that his spend time with a perimeter oriented big puts him a head of Frank. The fact that he found a way to hide Dirk on defense is great. BryCo just wants him to come here and see if he can do the same for Andrea. I personally think this is going to be Andrea's last shot. If he can't play D for this coach than it's a wrap for him in T.

Personally there was no reason for how bad Andrea was on defense this year. If Andrea could be better than Dirk at something it would be defense. His more athletic and bigger than Dirk. He move his feet better laterally too.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I also like what I've read about casey. Sure I'd rather have Sloan, or Adelman or SVG, but if they aren't interested then there is a good case for Casey.
    No doubt. The reality is the Raptors are not going to get a top proven coach at this time.

One thing I like about Casey is he has everything to gain and everything to lose for whoever he gets a head coaching gig with. If he is successful, he will ensure another opportunity; if he is unsuccessful, he'll never get a chance again.

Personally, I like the idea of someone with something to prove. Don't you think he has heard and read the many reservations people have about him that we are all discussing?

Leave a comment:

• ezz_bee
    replied
    Yeah, I also like what I've read about casey. Sure I'd rather have Sloan, or Adelman or SVG, but if they aren't interested then there is a good case for Casey.

Leave a comment:

• SuperRaptor
    replied
    Given the choice between frank and casey I would go casey. I dont see a point in hiring a guy who after 6 seasons of coaching had pretty much the same winning percentage as Jay Triano (give or take), in a weak eastern conference.

If Dallas' improved defense is attributed to Casey than that is quite an achievement. Also someone made the point of how Casey has the experience of being on a team that was centered around a jump shooting 7 footer, and after bringing in a defensive C was able to make the team play incredible defense. I think that they are going to try and clone Dallas' success in Toronto, I see BC getting a defensive C and taking another shot with Bargnani on the roster. Not sure how I feel about that, but might not be a bad idea.

Casey ftw.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    I would agree with apollo that Casey doesn't really seem to fit the "experienced" moniker that we imply in Coangelo's statements. However, I don't see Coangelo firing Jay without already having the guy he wants in place. It just doesn't make any sense to get rid of Jay if you can't bring in anything better.

The only thing I can think of is that Coangelo had a number of guys he wanted for the job and that he came to some sort of an unofficial agreement w/ Casey to be announced after the Mavs season was over. If Coangelo just fired Triano before what will be potentionally a lock out season and then hires a guy who is very similar in terms of experience and pay, then it just seems like a bonehead play. And all tihngs considered I don't think Coangelo is a bonehead.
    The more I read up on Casey, the more I like. For all the Raptors fans chanting the need for defense, this guy preaches and bleeds it. Casey does have 1.5 year as head coach in NBA which is 1.5 years more than each of the last three Raptors coaches. Also, D'Antoni had a brief experience in Denver (50 games) as head coach before getting his shot in Phoenix and was 52 when that opportunity arose. Casey, from all accounts, did a phenomenal job in MIN and has worked for great coaches in Carlisle, McMillan, and George Karl. This is also his 2nd NBA championship appearance as an assistant coach.

Either Woodson or Casey would be a step up from JT.

Leave a comment:

• ezz_bee
    replied
    I would agree with apollo that Casey doesn't really seem to fit the "experienced" moniker that we imply in Coangelo's statements. However, I don't see Coangelo firing Jay without already having the guy he wants in place. It just doesn't make any sense to get rid of Jay if you can't bring in anything better.

The only thing I can think of is that Coangelo had a number of guys he wanted for the job and that he came to some sort of an unofficial agreement w/ Casey to be announced after the Mavs season was over. If Coangelo just fired Triano before what will be potentionally a lock out season and then hires a guy who is very similar in terms of experience and pay, then it just seems like a bonehead play. And all tihngs considered I don't think Coangelo is a bonehead.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    Sorry, my bad. I thought that is what you meant.

I keep hearing that Jay was let go because we need someone with experience and tenure (not necessarily from you). I personally disagree with this, in my mind it was because he was a bad coach.
    I did say that Colangelo stressed that he was going after an experiences, established coach. He went on to list a bunch of attributes he thought were vital. Woodson and Frank both fit the bill.

Leave a comment:

• Donnie Brasco
    replied
    I will be honest, I haven't really taken the time to read the other comments in this thread. I just wanted to say that I don't really know a lot about Casey, but watching the Mavs recently it seems like they are doing a lot of good things with their organization. If Casey can bring some of what we have been watching the last few weeks, then I would be very interested in him coaching the Raps.

Another point. I hope that Davis, DeRozan, Johnson, Johnson, Bayless, and especially Bargnani have been watching the Conference Finals, and the NBA Finals. Say what you will about Mark Cuban, but he has built a first rate organization in Dallas. I realize that there is a big difference between playoff basketball and the regular season, but watching the Mavs players has been really something. They have great ball movement, they know their roles, hustle on every single play, and generally play very smart basketball. Another thing, cliche as it sounds, these guys do not give up. They are playing a team stacked with superstars, and have figured out a way to stay competitive, which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

I am not turning into a Mavs fan lol, but even the experience that fans enjoy at AA Centre seems to be first rate. Combine that with 11 straight 50 win seasons, and I view Dallas as an organization that Colangelo should be looking at very closely when building this franchise.

I realize the Mavs obtained a Hall of Fame player, while giving up Robert Traylor (RIP), and that is a 1 sided trade that doesnt happen every day...

Nevertheless, if Casey helps us in that direction... I say hire him.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    Jay was a bad coach for the NBA, not every rookie or new coach will be Jay.

It's not like experience is the only thing that separates the ability of coaches. If it was the only factor, then everything else would go out the window.

I wanted Bryan gone primarily because he hired Jay, and I feel for a "yes man" this job was way over his head. I am willing to give fresh coaches a shot till we find one that is good, and has a unique perspective that adds character to our franchise.
    I think you're being too hard on Triano. I don't think you can say he was a bad coach. He never seemed to be a good one, but he was also never given the right pieces to work with. He was always working with an inherently flawed roster, so it's hard to blame him for it's failures. Last year, before things fell apart after the All-Star break, the team was doing far better than a teams whose starting lineup consisted of only one player who was below average defensively had any right doing. And this year, they simply didn't have a lot of talent. I mean, really, I don't see most coaches doing any better than Triano did with the rosters he was given.

I think Triano, like any other coach, has his strengths and weaknesses. Triano, I think, would do better with more veteran group that are more self starters. He's not a guy that is good at trying to motivate unmotivated players.

Leave a comment:

• j bean
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    It probably soldifies the Casey rumour....who probably has some assistants in mind.
    and there isn't anything that will get done with Casey while the finals are being played.

Leave a comment:

• MyMomLovesMe
    replied
    Sorry, my bad. I thought that is what you meant.

I keep hearing that Jay was let go because we need someone with experience and tenure (not necessarily from you). I personally disagree with this, in my mind it was because he was a bad coach.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I never said experience is everything. Show me where I say that and I'll give you a twenty dollar bill. Woodson and Frank are very good coaches who fit the job description and who have experience.

Leave a comment:

• MyMomLovesMe
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Then why fire Jay Triano? If they hire Casey then the firing of Jay Triano makes no sense to me.
    Jay was a bad coach for the NBA, not every rookie or new coach will be Jay.

It's not like experience is the only thing that separates the ability of coaches. If it was the only factor, then everything else would go out the window.

I wanted Bryan gone primarily because he hired Jay, and I feel for a "yes man" this job was way over his head. I am willing to give fresh coaches a shot till we find one that is good, and has a unique perspective that adds character to our franchise.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    In 2004 they were paying Lenny Wilkens, Kevin O'Neil and Sam Mitchell all at the same time... Only one of them was actually working for the Raptors. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X