Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Haddock
    replied
    The main reason I can give for firing Jay is that someone had to pay for a 22 win season, BC can show he's serious, and Casey is a respected coach around the NBA. Cosmetic changes are often enough to placate MLSE

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    If this ends up being the case I can't say I'll be surprised. The Mavs are a very similarly built squad to us (albeit much better) and picking up an assistant who seems to have helped their defense a lot is makes sense. I agree with Apollo that a more established coach would have been nice, but I personally like Casey. Plus any coach who assisted Rick Carlisle, George Karl, and Nate McMillan must have picked a few things up. Shawn Marion's glowing review also makes me feel better about it.

Leave a comment:

• bloodyhandedgod
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Then why fire Jay Triano? If they hire Casey then the firing of Jay Triano makes no sense to me.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• MangoKid
    replied
    As much Casey is doing some impressive work with the Mavs at the moment, Woodson is still at the top of my list.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Then why fire Jay Triano? If they hire Casey then the firing of Jay Triano makes no sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Haddock
    replied
    As much as I would like an experienced coach, I was questioning how useful or necessary it would be considering how young we are and how much basic basketball we need to learn. There was some real consternation around the league when Casey was fired by Minny. Besides, what established coach would want to take a chance on a borderline 30 win team anyway?

For your consideration, just a couple of articles I read below:

http://www.reclinergm.com/who-is-dwa...hing-position/

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/...urn=nba-243594

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Yeah but that's not our problem. Our problem is that we have to endure GM's cheaping out on guys who aren't established and hoping that they hit a dinger. My view is that it's a hell of a lot easier to hit one out of the park when you're not blindfolded. I don't think it's so much to ask for when I say I would like them to sign a guy who's made his mistakes with another organization.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Coaching a team to a horrible finish one season, then getting them to play at a mediocre level the next and being fired for it doesn't ease my mind Matt... I see what you're saying, there's hope but I've personally had it with the constant hiring of head coaches with little to no head coaching experience. The Raptors have hired three assistant coaches in a row now to take the lead. I'm sick of it. I'm all for giving people chances to succeed but let some other team do it for a change.
    And I am in agreement with that. The sad truth is though it wouldn't be his first head coaching gig which would be a step up for the Raptors.

With regards to his experience in MIN I just don't think the man was given a fair shot. Using Woodson as an example, he took over a 28 win team and won 13 games his first season followed by 26, 30, 37, 47, 53 win seasons. I'm not saying Casey could have or would have done the same, I'm just saying he didn't quite get an opportunity to do it either.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Coaching a team to a horrible finish one season, then getting them to play at a mediocre level the next and being fired for it doesn't ease my mind Matt... I see what you're saying, there's hope but I've personally had it with the constant hiring of head coaches with little to no head coaching experience. The Raptors have hired three assistant coaches in a row now to take the lead. I'm sick of it. I'm all for giving people chances to succeed but let some other team do it for a change.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Right. So they improved a little and?... There is no way anyone in here can without a doubt give this guy a great review given the amount of real head coaching experience he has. I would much rather Woodson or Franks. Colangelo said he was going for an established, experienced coach.
    My only point was there was improvement and he was let go to disasterous results for MIN. They have not sniffed .500 since he was fired.

Personally, I would much rather Woodson or Adelman but Adelman doesn't appear to have any interest in coaching anymore. I think I would go Casey over Frank to be honest - no particular reason why, I am not a fan of his so it is a baseless, opinionated comment on my part.

Leave a comment:

• ebrian
    replied
    Colangelo could have said that just to justify letting Triano go. I remember one time Bryan Colangelo referred to Charlie Villanueva as one of the cornerstones of our franchise.

Leave a comment:

• GarbageTime
    replied
    Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    The most critical factor of all - Casey has had years to observe how Nowitzki operates as a big man and a focal point of offense (where and how he plays and who his frontcourt partner is). Yes, I said it, he's the front-runner because he'll be the next coach to bring along Bargnani (and presumably keep him accountable, if there's ever such a thing around here). Frank being the coach would actually be shocking considering he'd probably have AB7 shipped out of town by November if he fails to absorb his system. This coaching decision alone (should it happen), tells me (my opinion) that Bargs is here to stay.
    This statement makes so much sense its nauseating.

Being held accountable didn't work. Not being held accountable was even worse. So it makes sense to go back to the being held accountable. God forbid the team actually cuts its losses (which it should have done 3 years ago) when they can keep going all in. Let it ride Gil... let it ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiVVJ6Rxs9M

... as much as I want Bargnani moved, I won't believe its happening until I see it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Right. So they improved a little and?... There is no way anyone in here can without a doubt give this guy a great review given the amount of real head coaching experience he has. I would much rather Woodson or Franks. Colangelo said he was going for an established, experienced coach.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    He coached the Wolves for a year and a half and they sucked. The end. Seriously though, he may have a lot of the attributes that Colangelo is looking for but one of the most important attribute Colangelo mentioned was an experienced, established coach. Casey has lots of experience but he doesn't have hardly any head coaching experience. He's 54 by the way.
    To his credit the Wolves sucked after the fiasco which was Joe Smith and poor free agent signings/trades/management by McHale.

His first year with Minnesota they were 33-49. When he was fired the Wolves were 20-20 and finished the year 12-30.

Leave a comment:

• charlz
    replied
    enlightenment wrote: View Post
    so what is there to know about Dwane Casey?
    he is class enough not to announce it during the finals

Leave a comment:

Working...
X