Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Casey Hired As Raptors New Head Coach (Press conf. in post #121)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    What's the over/under on how long before Raptor fans start hating on him?
    You'd have to define your terms but I suspect there will be disgruntled folks by the time pre-season ends (if there is a pre-season).

In any case, yawn..... I wish Casey good luck but if the roster doesn't drastically improve he isn't going to be able to make much of a difference.

Comment

A defensive minded coach coaching a team that may not have a lot of offensive fire power come camp... It might make for some low scoring games. They could sure use a guy like Kemba Walker.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
        it's toronto.. we don't need legitimate reasons to hate people.

i've already decided i hate him because he looks like tommy davidson from in living color

No he doesn't. We don't all look alike.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          A defensive minded coach coaching a team that may not have a lot of offensive fire power come camp... It might make for some low scoring games. They could sure use a guy like Kemba Walker.
          This is true. He is not my top 2 choices, but it would help.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I don't want to draft a player based on what the team needs right now. I want to draft a player based on who will help them reach their goal of being a legit contender.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Mavs’ Dwane Casey to be Raptors’ head coach

Outside of a glitch of unimaginable proportions, Dwane Casey will be the next head coach of the Raptors.

The longtime NBA assistant went through a 90-minute telephone interview with members of the board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment on Sunday afternoon, according to sources, and was to have dinner in New York City on Monday with minority owner Larry Tanenbaum.

If nothing untoward came out of those meetings, the 54-year-old Casey could be introduced as early as Tuesday as the successor to Jay Triano and the eighth head coach in the 16-year history of the Toronto franchise.

Terms of Casey’s pending deal were not immediately available.

A former head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves (53-69 overall, 20-20 in 2007 when he was fired), Casey has worked as an assistant for a handful of accomplished NBA head coaches — George Karl, Nate McMillan and most recently Rick Carlisle in Dallas.

He is known for his ability to institute a consistently good defensive system, an attribute sorely lacking with the Raptors, a team that was statistically the worst defensive team in the NBA last year and one that’s never established a reputation for being hard-nosed or successful at that end of the floor.

He is generally credited with instituting one of the most effective zone defences in the league with the Mavericks, a move that helped them get past Portland, the Lakers, Oklahoma City and Miami en route to the franchise’s first NBA championship.

Casey also should arrive just days before Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo reaches another watershed mark in the rebuilding process of a team coming off a 22-60 2010-11 and a third playoff-free spring in a row.

Colangelo and members of his staff conducted their final pre-draft workouts in the New York City area, getting a look at 6-11 Czech forward Jan Vesely in a workout for a group of teams Sunday and putting 6-9 forward-centre Bismack Biyombo, a Congolese 18-year-old who played last season in Spain, through a session on their own Monday.

With so much indecision above them in the draft — Cleveland has the first and fourth picks sandwiched around Minnesota at No. 2 and Utah at No. 3 — it’s been impossible for the Raptors to get a firm grasp on who might be available at their choice.

They have, according to league sources, made efforts to move up to No. 2 but don’t have a good match with Minnesota and have narrowed their list of draft hopefuls to about four.

That group would include Kentucky guard Brandin Knight, Lithuanian centre Jonas Valanciunas, San Diego State swingman Kawhi Leonard and Biyombo with Vesely and Connecticut guard Kemba Walker as fallback possibilities.

Meanwhile, there was no word on which — if any — of the current Raptors assistant coaches may join Casey in Toronto when their contracts expire at the end of June.

Casey has had a long-standing relationship with Toronto assistant Micah Nori but it’s unclear how close he is to any of P.J. Carlisemo, Alex English or Scott Roth. Only Carlesimo is under contract to the Raptors next season but he’s been conspicuously absent from much of the pre-draft workout process and his future with the team is very much in doubt.
              Mavs? Dwane Casey to be Raptors? head coach - thestar.com

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                I don't want to draft a player based on what the team needs right now. I want to draft a player based on who will help them reach their goal of being a legit contender.
                It's a good thing I haven't been saying they should draft based on need. Looks like we're in agreement. Kemba Walker would certainly help them reach their goals and help them right now.

Comment

PJ is redundant with Casey in charge.

Comment

so pumped!

Casey = Defense
                    Defense = Fast Breaks
                    Fast Breaks = Points

It'll be interesting to see just how much better their defense becomes, imagine more fast breaks with derozan leading them!
                    ill be happy with 30-35 wins this year..show some improvement

Comment

if gets bargs to play D he is our savior
                      ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                        if gets bargs to play D he is our savior
                        if he gets Bargs to play D he will have a gold statue erected in front of the ACC

Comment

If he gets Bargnani to play defense suddenly the Raptors become a legit threat.

Comment

If he gets Bargs traded, then he's the greatest Raptor coach ever.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Sources say Casey declined the opportunity to interview for the Pistons' job.
                              this taken from ESPN's article on the whole ordeal. If it doesn't mean anything other than coaches in the league see the potential our team has, I'm ok with that.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                                if he gets Bargs to play D he will have a gold statue erected in front of the ACC
                                You said erected....

If he gets Bargnani to play D, golden pigs will fly out of my ass!
                                Last edited by BayCityBaller; Mon Jun 20, 2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X