Casey in, draft in a couple days, lets talk FA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey in, draft in a couple days, lets talk FA's

With Casey in its clear the kind of identity BC wants the raptors to have, and if the new coach is going to have any success hes going to need the soldiers. I'm 90% sure management is going to let all the FA's walk with maybe (hopefully) the exception of Dorsey.

So here we go, a few off the top of my head:

Mbah a Moute
    Arron Affalo
    CJ Miles
    DeAndre Jordon
    Shane Battier
    @sweatpantsjer

ty cahndler, nene, m. gasol, carl landry
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      With Casey in its clear the kind of identity BC wants the raptors to have, and if the new coach is going to have any success hes going to need the soldiers. I'm 90% sure management is going to let all the FA's walk with maybe (hopefully) the exception of Dorsey.

So here we go, a few off the top of my head:

Mbah a Moute
      Arron Affalo
      CJ Miles
      DeAndre Jordon
      Shane Battier
      It's going to be all up in the air until we know how the draft, and also draft day trades, go since that will definitely impact what positions we need to fill.

With Afflalo offered the QO (making RFA) his public claim he wants to stay, and Denver's public statement that he is a part of their core, I would take him off the list. Wilson Chandler was offered as well, but I think he is more open to move, especially since Galinari (same position as Chandler) and Ty Lawson were the other 2 names mentioned in the core. (i.e. not Chandler).

CJ Miles isn't FA yet, but since Utah has not picked his option up, it is likely. That said, I think the only reason they are waiting is whether to use him in a trade for salary purposes (exercise option and trade).

I could put a whole list, but will wait until thursday night before I lock it down.

Comment

if we don't draft Kanter or another big man to play center, i want Tyson Chandler
        is it wishful thinking to hope we sign DeAndre Jordan? Marc Gasol only averages about 7 rebounds a game and in the games that i have seen him, he looks more of a finesse type of player (like bargs).

Mbah a Moute...best name in basketball?

Comment

how about jeff green

Comment

zulfi wrote: View Post
            if we don't draft Kanter or another big man to play center, i want Tyson Chandler
            is it wishful thinking to hope we sign DeAndre Jordan? Marc Gasol only averages about 7 rebounds a game and in the games that i have seen him, he looks more of a finesse type of player (like bargs).

Mbah a Moute...best name in basketball?
            You obviously haven't seen many of Gasol's games because he is far from finesse my friend. And his relatively low numbers on the boards is probably due more to the fact that Z-Bo was just beastly this past year. In Toronto he would be battling for boards all by his lonesome. I would think those numbers would spike to 10.5-11rbs a game. I doubt we'll get him though so I will refrain from getting to excited.
            Deadallus

Comment

The Raptors might not have a lot of money to spend and I don't think it's realistic to have RFAs on the list.

We should all be cheering for Barbosa to opt out.

Comment

I think this summer is the wrong time to think about free agents. The Raptors are too far away from competing to spending a lot of money on someone, and considering their record and their lack of talent, the Raptors are going to have to vastly overpay someone to come. Next summer, when there will hopefully be more talent on the roster, more of a set foundation and more of an indication that the team is headed in the right direction, that's the time to look at grabbing a player that fills a need. Right now, there are too many needs and not enough of a reason for a free agent to want to sign.

Plus they'll have more money next summer.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  The Raptors might not have a lot of money to spend and I don't think it's realistic to have RFAs on the list.

We should all be cheering for Barbosa to opt out.
                  If the new CBA rumours are true and an NHL-like system is brought in with a $62M cap, the Raps will have $18M to spend next year.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I think this summer is the wrong time to think about free agents. The Raptors are too far away from competing to spending a lot of money on someone, and considering their record and their lack of talent, the Raptors are going to have to vastly overpay someone to come. Next summer, when there will hopefully be more talent on the roster, more of a set foundation and more of an indication that the team is headed in the right direction, that's the time to look at grabbing a player that fills a need. Right now, there are too many needs and not enough of a reason for a free agent to want to sign.

Plus they'll have more money next summer.
                    I'd tend to agree. Draft the another young player to build with going forward, get another high draft pick next year, and open the cash register to find pieces to compliment what the Raps have at that time.

The rumoured $62M cap with an NHL-style CBA will have the Raptors sitting very pretty.

It is time to get rid of Calderon and Bargnani though.

Comment

I disagree. The only substantial difference in our payroll between this year and next is Barbosa, and for all we know he might opt out. And we really have no idea what to expect in terms of the new collective agreement. I'm not saying we should go all out to sign anyone, but there are some good centres on the market this year and that is one of our biggest needs. If we can sign a good starting centre who is in his late twenties, that wouod be a good move. I do not think the Raptors will be at the bottom of the standings next year: I think internal improvement from DeMar, Bayless, Davis, Johnson, and Bargnani will mean we will be drafting much more near the middle. If that is the case, I think we might as well try and add a good long term piece and start contending for a playoff spot.

Comment

Also, while I am all in favor of making whatever move needs to be made to improve the Raptors and I don't see any of our players as untouchable, the idea that we need to move Calderon or Bargnani is unjustified. They both fill a useful role and getting players who fit what we are doing better is not necessarily going to be easy, or even possible.

I mean, if you dislike them, fine, but thankfully the Raptors aren't going to be basing their personnel moves on the prejudices of the fan base.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          If the new CBA rumours are true and an NHL-like system is brought in with a $62M cap, the Raps will have $18M to spend next year.
                          That's just an offer which the players said they were never going to accept. There is no reason to assume that's what the landscape is going to be. All the same, if it does happen, then awesome.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            That's just an offer which the players said they were never going to accept. There is no reason to assume that's what the landscape is going to be. All the same, if it does happen, then awesome.
                            The owners have played hardball all along. They are now starting to relent and actually negotiate. The players have everything to lose, the owners just a little. I do not doubt for a moment if push comes to shove the owners will cancel the season. One year gone and a worse offer than is on the table - I bet the NHLPA remembers how that went and Bettman is no Stern.

I agree it would be awesome and am glad to hear the league/owners are offering a salary cap in the $60M range versus $45.

Comment

Probably not a good summer for free agents but for trading game changing players, I say yes.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...9428#post89428
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X