Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa Leaving? Nope, he is staying.

Source: HoopsHype.com

It sounds like he might end up leaving the option with the Raptors on the table.

Great news, this gives Casey and Colangelo a lot more room to work with players which are in the future plans and also FA wise.

Comment

I'll co-sign that. I like Barbosa but at this stage of the game for this team the cap flexibility is more valuable to the team.

Comment

Plllllleeeeeease opt out.

Personally, I think they are trying to milk an extension from Toronto.

I will be very happy if he opts out. He is a good player, don't get me wrong, just not at $7.6M and not when his game relies on speed and he is going on 29 with a young team not ready to compete for a couple more seasons.

Comment

frees up more cash to throw at deandre jordon/wilson chandler
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm really, really hoping he opts out. There's no doubt he's a good player, but that 7 million is worth more to us than he is at this point.

Comment

Why am I sensing insincerity in how he is truly sold on the Raptors, their fans and the city?
              He says it is a business decision driven by market competition.
              So in other words give me a better offer than everyone else or I'm gone.

Comment

What if he opts out and we sign him to a 3 year 12 mil deal (4 per)?
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Is there a deadline before which he needs to exercise the option? I saw that Diaw already excercised his.

Comment

pakdawgie wrote: View Post
                    Is there a deadline before which he needs to exercise the option? I saw that Diaw already excercised his.
                    June 30th.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                      What if he opts out and we sign him to a 3 year 12 mil deal (4 per)?
                      He can almost get two thirds of that amount over one year if he opts in.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        He can almost get two thirds of that amount over one year if he opts in.
                        Yah, he would probably be looking for a 4yr deal, although still probably in the $4M per range if being realistic. No reason to suggest he is being realistic though.

Comment

I think he would opt in and then look for a contract extension. The three year deal you mentioned sounds really good for him in that scenario.

Comment

I think a major factor is the potential for a lockout (even though it's not mentioned in the article). My understanding is that FIBA and NBA rules, as they stand now, prevent signed players from playing overseas, which, for Barbosa, could wipe out a year of earnings during his prime. But if he opts out, he's free to play wherever he wants regardless of whether there's a lockout.

I'm sure he'd also be interested in a multi-year extension that carries his contract well into the next CBA, if the Raptors were to offer it. But really, playing a lockout-shortened year for a portion of his current contract, and then negotiating a new contract a year into the new CBA is a worst-case scenario for him.

I like him a lot, but agree with the sentiments in this thread: salary flexibility is more valuable to us right now than Barbosa.

Comment

I've always been a huge fan of the 'blur' and I want him to opt back in.

But this process is completely driven by his agent, Any offer he receives in Europe would be matched by an NBA team, so I don't see him pulling a Josh Childress.

And he may go home to Brazil closer to his professional twighlight years, but not when he's still in his prime.

He'll hold out for the best NBA offer, which means he'll probably come back to the Raptors.

Comment

Working...
                              X