Barbosa Leaving? Nope, he is staying.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    For that kinda money...well u could get shane battier or tayshaun prince.
    I hope he opt's out..raptors have more money,think about it.

U have line up of...

Brandon Knight....plzzzzzzz let him drop
    Demar Derozan...Break out year...Allstar
    Tayshaun Prince...Bryan Colangelo always wanted him...he be perfect.
    Ed Davis...Block Party
    Tyson Chandler...Won a ring...money is the key...ohh yeah Casey helps 2...

P.S

Notice I didn't put Bargnani or Calderon in the mix...I hope the god there gone,u really think these guys really care about defense...LOL.
    We watched them for soooooo long..enough,Good Bye!!!
    Why does Prince sign here? He'd have to get crazy money to sign here. Chandler is going to get insane dollars as well.

Comment

I think the idea of paying him $4M a year is undervaluing him as a player ... he is one of the few players in the league who truly impacts the outcome of a game off the bench with his scoring. He could easily be our 3rd leading scorer off the bench next year.

-If it's a 'business decision' by his agent, then go to the league's where there is an actual season to be paid to play in next year!

If we end up keeping Jose as the veteran PG off the bench, then Blur is a perfect compliment to play with him ... distributor and scorer ... add Amir, and we're looking at a highly skilled bench mob.
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
        to be honest I would love it if he opted out.
        REASONS I DONT THINK HE IS A GOOD FIT IN TORONTO:
        1) lousy disinterested defender
        2) way too banged up every season
        3) older than core group / game on decline
        4) if you are stuck with Kleiza and Calderon and you do draft a PG he will be collecting dust anyhow if you want to develop younger players.
        5) inconsistent from long range
        6) if you have 3 PG's would rather see Bayless getting minutes @ 2 spot
        You might need to actually turn ON your TV when the Raps games are on. Not sure you were watching the games. Jus sayin'.
        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          Well Charlz this shows me you did not even watch Barbosa play for Toronto this past season, you may have watched Raptor games, but you were not watching players.

Barbosa was a pleasant surprise on defense for us, while he is not a lock down guy his effort and results were pretty good, I would say he did a better job defending the 2 than Derozan.

Hes he has been banged up, but it is not like he does not play through some of the minor stuff.
          He is an almost 40% career 3 point shooter and you call him inconsistent....
          If we have 3 point guards one of Jose or Bayless are gone before seasons end.
          An entire team can't be made up of early 20's players, you need a vet or 2.

While there are reasons to not want him back, the ones you mention are pretty silly.
          Co-sign.
          The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
          Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
          www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
          http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
          http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Barbosa's brother is the one with all these quotes coming out regarding Europe and Brazil. Barbosa's brother is also his agent. This quote does not sound like a guy planning on walking away from $7M:

Raptors guard Leandro Barbosa(notes) was on his way to meet Parker at a local club Tuesday night when he was told about his team’s trade conversations with the Spurs. Barbosa, who believes the Raptors talked with the Spurs, didn’t end up meeting Parker, but planned to have dinner with him on Wednesday.

“I told him [via text message], ‘Are you going to play with me?’ ” Barbosa said. “He said, ‘Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.’

“I would love to play with him. You never know what can happen in the NBA. I guess we got to wait and see what’s up.”
            http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...a_draft_062211

Comment

He used his player option, he's staying.

Trade bait!
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Barbosa staying with the Raps!

Im not sure why he waited this long but he did picked up his option and will be a raptor next season. The question is, will he be traded? If BC trades him, we better get someone that is somewhat close if not better statwise to back demar up at the 2 spot.

Comment

...or get a couple of bench assets...

I doubt Colangelo trades him since Barbosa is 'one of his favourite players', but that goes out the window at trade deadline time. That said he would be great in Denver, Houston, Orlando, Chicago, NY, or Clippers (though they need a SF first). Not sure what we would want back though from most of them. I would like Mosgov (Denver), CLee (Houston) out of those listed.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    He used his player option, he's staying.

Trade bait!
                    Hopefully. I like him when he is here, but I like what he brings to the table on the trade front as well (if not more).

Comment

Barbosa stays

Looks like he has picked up his option - bittersweetly.

t appears Leandro Barbosa will not be heading back to Brazil after all.

Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told QMI Agency Saturday afternoon that Barbosa has picked up his $7.6 million U.S. player option for the 2011-2012 season. Barbosa beat a midnight deadline to make a call.

There had been speculation Barbosa would play in his native Brazil since a looming lockout threatens to wipe out the NBA season.

This would have given the Raptors a huge boost in cap space.

Both sides have also expressed interest in renegotiating Barbosa's contract into a longer deal.
                      http://www.lfpress.com/sports/others.../18334586.html

Comment

This is his last contract (if he gets an extension). Nothing more than 4mil. I know it's low but I think the franchise needs to be wise about spending (I know, it's not my money).
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I like Barbosa not opting out. I really didn't like the idea of Colangelo having lots of money to throw around this offseason (whenever it may be). I was afraid he'd get desperate and overpay a mediocre player just to make sur he signed someone. I think Colangelo is a good GM, but I don't trust him with a lot of cap space. Especially when it's in the team's best interest to hold onto that space for a better time. I think next summer will be a better time for the Raptors to try and sign someone.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

good to hear, rebuilding teams also need experience to guide them
                            ya dun noe

Comment

It is not the worst thing that could have happened.

To get another top 5 pick next year, it was probably the best.

I'd rather pay Barbosa $7.6M this year than pay Diop $6.9M this year and $7.3M next year - right, MJ?

Barbosa could very well be an important trade asset at the deadline or he could expire for cap space next summer.

Either way, it is nice to have another lose end tied up.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                I like Barbosa not opting out. I really didn't like the idea of Colangelo having lots of money to throw around this offseason (whenever it may be). I was afraid he'd get desperate and overpay a mediocre player just to make sur he signed someone. I think Colangelo is a good GM, but I don't trust him with a lot of cap space. Especially when it's in the team's best interest to hold onto that space for a better time. I think next summer will be a better time for the Raptors to try and sign someone.
                                who are the FAs you will consider signing next offseason?

Comment

Working...
                                X