Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoePanini
    replied
    Raptors' biggest weakness is definitely defense. Shooting is one of the Raptors' smallest worries, they have a lot of very talented offensive players. Team and interior defense have been horrible, and if the article is about drafting players based on needs/weaknesses then I'd think he should have put someone like Leonard or Bioyombo.

Leave a comment:

• JoePanini
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Kemba is a good scorer, but he's not a good shooter. In fact if you read every scouting report on him, it says the same thing.
    Actually many scouts think that Kemba is going to be a far better shooter than Jimmer (who is considered one of the best shooters in the draft). Mainly because Kemba's release is a lot more fluid than Jimmer's. Kemba only uses his right hand to shoot and his left hand has nothing to do with the shot, whilst Jimmer's left hand follows through with the shot. Players like Ray Allen and other great shooters don't follow through with their left hand. All in all, Kemba's jumpshot is very fluid and can easily be improved. I'd be more concerned with his ball-handling skills and court-vision.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    Just because it's your weakness doesn't mean you draft for that, and I know that sounds stupid but that's the way it is. When you're a lottery team, especially bottom 7 or 8 you draft BPA or BPA who also fills a position you're not so strong in, you don't have the luxury of saying "we need more rebounding, so let's draft rebounding and pass up on a possible all-star because he does things that we currently don't suck at."
    No one is denying that, but to go into such great detail about what each team needs and then basically choose somewhat who does the opposite is bound to get some criticism.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    Just because it's your weakness doesn't mean you draft for that, and I know that sounds stupid but that's the way it is. When you're a lottery team, especially bottom 7 or 8 you draft BPA or BPA who also fills a position you're not so strong in, you don't have the luxury of saying "we need more rebounding, so let's draft rebounding and pass up on a possible all-star because he does things that we currently don't suck at."

Leave a comment:

• JYFelony
    replied
    I love grantland but this piece didn't do it for me. The only good part was when they took multiple shots at David Kahn within the Minnesota piece.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    This is a fluff piece with every generalization out there on the Raps - yet missing the biggest one: horrible defense.

I do take exception to the contracts to Linas and Amir. First off, Amir is earning every penney of that contract and will be only 24 for next season. Secondly, Kleiza got injured in preseason and never did play at 100%. If you base the awarding of the contract on him getting injured, then yes, it was awful but lets also go back and criticize because we didn't pick the right lottery numbers last Saturday while we are at it.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    dballa21 wrote: View Post
    Kemba has a good jumpshot. He shot a somewhat bad percentage because of his shot selection. He took a lot of Jimmer-level shots.
    Kemba is a good scorer, but he's not a good shooter. In fact if you read every scouting report on him, it says the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    Throughout this article, there are numerous places where they identify a team weakness, and then pick a player that does nothing to address the weakness:
    Golden State: Weakness, interior strength; Who they should pick, Montiejunas
    Milwaukee: Weakness, shooting; Who they should pick, Vesely
    Sacramento: Weakness, rim defense; Who they should pick, Fredette
    Washington: Weakness, shooting; Who they should pick, Valanciunas

I completely get that teams should typically draft BPA rather than need, but why even focus on team needs in a draft preview, if you're going to ignore it to this extent in the suggested picks? For most of these, there's absolutely no explanation for why teams should make these picks.

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    replied
    Well, I hear what yall are saying but the best 'pure shooters' in the draft aren't guys you'd pick at #5.

Leave a comment:

• Raptorsss
    replied
    The Raptors were the wurst 3-point shooting team, that was the point that the writer was making. It's not as bad Golden State's write up where, the major weakness was supposed to be interior defense and rebounding, so they reccommend drafting Donut Montie O.O?

Leave a comment:

• jeff_hostetler
    replied
    Okay, I have a few problems with their assessment. First of all, he says the Raptors biggest weakness is shooting. So being last in defense two years running doesn't make is their biggest weakness?

And Ed Davis did get injured, obviously, but you can't say that injuries kept him off the floor. You can say that even Davis' defense and rebounding wasn't enough to cover up Bargnani's lack of.

And if shooting IS the biggest weakness, why draft a PG whose biggest weakness might be his lack of a good jumpshot?
    Yeah, that basically is nonsense. I had the same reaction. Particularly to the bolded part.

Leave a comment:

• dballa21
    replied
    And if shooting IS the biggest weakness, why draft a PG whose biggest weakness might be his lack of a good jumpshot?
    Kemba has a good jumpshot. He shot a somewhat bad percentage because of his shot selection. He took a lot of Jimmer-level shots.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Okay, I have a few problems with their assessment. First of all, he says the Raptors biggest weakness is shooting. So being last in defense two years running doesn't make is their biggest weakness?

And Ed Davis did get injured, obviously, but you can't say that injuries kept him off the floor. You can say that even Davis' defense and rebounding wasn't enough to cover up Bargnani's lack of.

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    started a topic Grantland Draft Preview

Grantland Draft Preview

Heeeere ya go:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ottery-preview
Working...
X