2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charlz wrote: View Post
    NCAA tournament exposes character heart grittiness.

True champions succeed and pretenders are exposed....Barnes is a star MKG is a champion IMO
    Pass me the Kool-aid. I'm on-board.

Comment

• I've always been big on MKG, always. I really want him here, even though his perimeter game is fairly lacking, I think him and Demar would be just fine. Demar will work on his perimeter game this Summer with full facility accessibility and the coaching staff is there as well. Same will go for MKG if drafted.

I'm very high on the future of this team, with so much available cap space and incoming talent, I expect next year to be a large step. Maybe not contending, but playoff team perhaps.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• AD and MKG are a step above the rest in this draft, and then there are group of about 10 players that should contribute in the NBA, followed by some long shot to make it choices. Every draft will have a couple of Ty Lawson, Kenneth Farried type players that for some reason don't draft high but are good to go out of the gate. Every draft has a few obvious busts like Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Joe Alexander, etc.

The more I look at this draft, the more it looks rather ordinary.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
          AD and MKG are a step above the rest in this draft, and then there are group of about 10 players that should contribute in the NBA, followed by some long shot to make it choices. Every draft will have a couple of Ty Lawson, Kenneth Farried type players that for some reason don't draft high but are good to go out of the gate. Every draft has a few obvious busts like Thabeet, Jonny Flynn, Joe Alexander, etc.

The more I look at this draft, the more it looks rather ordinary.
          Potential talent is the reason why it's regarded as so strong. From 1-20 IMO has players that are 'out of the gate' contributors, NBA ready-games, superstar potential, etc.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I have been watching the NCAA tournament games closely, and as far as NBA superstar potential, I haven't seen that, looking beyond the hype and observing objectively.

Comment

• If MKG doesnt have the game he did last night UK loses that game. UNC won inspite of Barnes having the game he did. I thought Reggie Bullock looked good for UNC.

Comment

• Man we need to get MKG in this draft. That would be the most sickest draft in Raptors history. Dwane casey is the perfect coach for MKG too, hopefully we get a top 5 pick and he somehow drops to us.

Comment

• Brad Beal

Quick Breakdown: Bradley Beal (Florida)

In the past, I have written about how the first thing many folks see when evaluating a potential NBA player is his physical gifts. Players need to pass the proverbial “eye test” before some will consider them draftable. However, many players don’t meet our visual requirements for length, size, and pure athleticism, and other skills need to be noticed for a player to take center stage.

Such is the case for Florida guard Bradley Beal. The first thing you notice about Beal is that he looks reasonably ordinary for a collegiate shooting guard: average height, decent length, solid frame. He looks explosive but not extraordinarily so, quick enough (without super speed), and he doesn’t overpower opponents with his strength.

This is mostly what I wrote about Evan Turner – he lacked a ‘wow’ factor as I described it in the article linked above – but there are a few things about Beal that have me believing he could have a more immediate and long-term impact at the next level than Turner has had.

First, he is noted as a good shooter and his mechanics seem to support that assertion. His season has not been excellent, but players who have a long-term history of being a good shooter can usually adjust over time when given the opportunity. Beal’s motion is compact, efficient and repeatable – the three characteristics I look for in any shooter. The way he transfers energy from lower to upper body looks smooth enough that he should be able to add range over time.

Beyond his potential as a shooter, Beal consistently makes good decisions on the court. He makes “plus-one” passes with ease (finding teammates for great shots as the defense attempts to rotate), and when he attacks, he does so with a purpose in mind, taking the shortest distance to the rim (often a straight line). Beal does not make moves overly difficult, and therefore he does not take tough shots. This ability to select his shots will pay many dividends over time. He looks comfortable as an attacker in ball screen action, making efforts to find the screener and locating help defenders throughout.

Barring a few more huge games in this NCAA Tournament, Beal seems unlikely to be in anyone’s top 3. However, should he decide to leave school, his consistency of decision-making and demonstrated game understanding will make him a solid, if not spectacular, top ten pick for someone this spring.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/coach-brad...syracuses-zone

The comparison with Turner is not just. Turner was a senior when he left OSU. Beal is an 18 year old freshman (19 on draft night - what a birthday present).

I wonder if he checked the March 24 update of HoopsWorld.com mock draft. In this mock draft, they have Beal at number 2.

Comment

• Bradley Beal season is over. 14Pts 6Rebs 4Ast
                    Hopefully he declares in the next few days.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• He didn't play very well in crunch time tbh but overall had a good game. Words can't express how atrocious Florida's guard play is. I'm surprised the team made it as far as they did.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        He didn't play very well in crunch time tbh but overall had a good game. Words can't express how atrocious Florida's guard play is. I'm surprised the team made it as far as they did.
                        You are correct. He had/was given the ball the last couple of possessions to tie or win and didnt do it and then travelled on a defensive possess. Too bad but it seems that most of the high draft ranking players (except for MKG) have not had the wow factor so far.

Comment

• Beal's already wowed me this season. A great player helping a meh team that far into the tourney is wow enough.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Beal's already wowed me this season. A great player helping a meh team that far into the tourney is wow enough.
                            dude there was nothing 'meh' about florida. they underachieved this season (regular season), and ended up making a run in the tournament on par with their talent.

you might think boynton and walker are atrocious because it prevents beal from being the sole focus on offense which is what you'd like to see as a fan of his, but they're both really good college players. walker was 2nd team all sec his sophomore and junior seasons, and the only reason he didn't make it this year is because boynton and beal took the guard spots (boynton made it last year too).

so yeah, adding a top five ranked recruit like beal to a group including young, boynton, and walker, coached by donovan, and that is a hella talented group that was ranked exactly eighth in the preseason. which is where they ended up.

Comment

• Heading into the Final Four, I personally feel that MKG and Beal have moved to the top of the pack for me. If the Raptors got the #1 pick, at this point in time I would seriously be looking to trade it for a top-5 pick (whatever it takes to get either MKG or Beal) and another starting caliber player in return.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Heading into the Final Four, I personally feel that MKG and Beal have moved to the top of the pack for me. If the Raptors got the #1 pick, at this point in time I would seriously be looking to trade it for a top-5 pick (whatever it takes to get either MKG or Beal) and another starting caliber player in return.
                                +1
                                for mkg. really hope we land him. i am also on the fence with trading number one if we get it but i wouldn't go lower than number 3 to make sure we get either mkg or beal.

that said davis does seem pretty awesome. watching him it looks like someone is angry with a wasp or fly his blocking hand is flying at almost everything near that rim. he does look like a franchise player in these games.

Comment

Working...
                                X