2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo vs Demar

Demar is actually only a little over two inches taller than Mayo and 6'4.25 IMO is not too short to play sg plus he actually has a higher hops than Demar. Mayo's no step is 30.5, Demar's is 29 and max vert for Mayo is 41 while Demar's is 38.5 although Demar does has 3 inch wider wingspan with the verticals it almost evens out and if you want to talk about defending well Demar may have the tools to be a better defender but he just doesn't use them as well.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/O.J.-Mayo-238/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Demar-DeRozan-1319/
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• I'm not even concerned about the measurements. Mayo is just a better "shooting guard" than DeRozan.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Drummond will be #2 pick. His floor is the 5th pick

I could she BryCo thinking hard over Harrison Barnes and Pj3
        I agree with you about Drummond. I doubt he drops beyond #5, and he will probably end up higher.

PJ3 worries me a lot more than Drummond. I also think that Barnes would be a better pick than PJ3. The problem is that Baylor's offence really didn't allow PJ3 to show much. He is obviously very hard to assess based on his college career.

Comment

• Marty (Ohio)

Is Michael Kidd-Glichrist REALLY the # 2 guy on your big board? What's his upside? Shane Battier? Downside is Corey Brewer? If he's the second best guy then this is a really weak draft.
          Chad Ford**(1:50 PM)

Yes he really is. He's a better athlete than Battier which should help his game. And yes, I think this draft isn't nearly as strong as people are leading you to believe. I've been saying this for months now. There's a pretty big drop off after Anthony Davis. You either go production (MKG, TRob, Sullinger) with limited upside or you go upside (Drummond, Perry Jones) with limited production.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
            I agree with you about Drummond. I doubt he drops beyond #5, and he will probably end up higher.

PJ3 worries me a lot more than Drummond. I also think that Barnes would be a better pick than PJ3. The problem is that Baylor's offence really didn't allow PJ3 to show much. He is obviously very hard to assess based on his college career.

Matt (DC)

Between Robinson, Sullinger, and Perry Jones, who has the highest ceiling?

Chad Ford**(1:54 PM)

Jones by a mile. But he also comes with the most risk.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• On one hand Chad Ford is right, the draft really isn't as strong as a lot of people make it out to be, on the other hand Chad Ford needs to die in a grease fire.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Steve (LA)

You mention Perry Jones has higher ceiling than Sullinger by a mile? Upside isn't all about athleticism and length. Sullinger has was more upside as a scorer than Jones ever does. Cody Zeller does as well. Hasn't Kevin Love taught us that upside doesn't have to be purely on physical talent?

Chad Ford**(2:03 PM)

I disagree. Perry Jones is SKILLED. He can do everything. His game isn't just about athleticism. The question is whether he will assert himself, whether he gets in the right situation for his skill set, whether he keeps working on his game. On physical talent + basketball skills ... Jones is the second best player in the draft. But when you watch him play, you just question how much he wants it. That's why so many are frustrated with him.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• What Chad Ford failed to mention is that if you go with his 2nd option (i.e. upside with limited production), it is possible the upside is actually obtained, and production soon follows.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                    On one hand Chad Ford is right, the draft really isn't as strong as a lot of people make it out to be, on the other hand Chad Ford needs to die in a grease fire.
                    I've thought all season that the draft is strong as far as being able to draft solid rotation player quite deep into the lottery and even beyond. However, I don't think the draft is nearly as strong at the very top, as far as true franchise guys, when compared to the last few years (ie: Irving, Wall, Griffin, Rose, Durant).

That's part of the reason why I think A.Davis is getting a little too overhyped. If he wasn't playing on such a good, deep team as Kentucky, I think there would be a lot more objectivity about his slender frame and weak offensive game. He is a great help defender that alters a lot of shots, hence the Camby comparisons... but would you want to burn a #1 overall pick on Camby? He'll be a great player, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's a true franchise changer the way some of recent #1 overall picks have been (Durant/Rose/Griffin).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I've thought all season that the draft is strong as far as being able to draft solid rotation player quite deep into the lottery and even beyond. However, I don't think the draft is nearly as strong at the very top, as far as true franchise guys, when compared to the last few years (ie: Irving, Wall, Griffin, Rose, Durant).

That's part of the reason why I think A.Davis is getting a little too overhyped. If he wasn't playing on such a good, deep team as Kentucky, I think there would be a lot more objectivity about his slender frame and weak offensive game. He is a great help defender that alters a lot of shots, hence the Camby comparisons... but would you want to burn a #1 overall pick on Camby? He'll be a great player, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's a true franchise changer the way some of recent #1 overall picks have been (Durant/Rose/Griffin).
                      Durant was not number 1 - but he should have been.

As far as Davis being too over hyped, I disagree. He went 1 for 10 in the championship game and was still the player with the most impact in the game. 1 for 10 is not going to be the norm for him - far from it. His post game is night and day above where it was at the start of the year. Same with his perimeter game.

The key with Davis is putting it all together which is what I think has so many drooling - myself included. Personally, I think he does put it all together.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Durant was not number 1 - but he should have been.

As far as Davis being too over hyped, I disagree. He went 1 for 10 in the championship game and was still the player with the most impact in the game. 1 for 10 is not going to be the norm for him - far from it. His post game is night and day above where it was at the start of the year. Same with his perimeter game.

The key with Davis is putting it all together which is what I think has so many drooling - myself included. Personally, I think he does put it all together.
                        Durant was second... oh Portland, first Jordan and then Durant... when will you learn! lol

I think Davis does have potential to fulfill the expectations, as long as his body fills out and he doesn't fall too in love with his mid-range game. I just worry that the huge hype surrounding a guy that still needs to figure out a lot of his game (aside from help defense and rebounding), will cause fans of whatever team drafts him to at least initially be a little disappointed because he likely won't have the same immediate all-around impact that guys like Durant/Rose/Griffin had for their teams.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Durant was second... oh Portland, first Jordan and then Durant... when will you learn! lol

I think Davis does have potential to fulfill the expectations, as long as his body fills out and he doesn't fall too in love with his mid-range game. I just worry that the huge hype surrounding a guy that still needs to figure out a lot of his game (aside from help defense and rebounding), will cause fans of whatever team drafts him to at least initially be a little disappointed because he likely won't have the same immediate all-around impact that guys like Durant/Rose/Griffin had for their teams.
                          I agree with what you are saying but (if this makes any sense at all) your expectations might a little out of whack (no offense intended) given the path those players went through to get to where they are today..

SEA/OKC actually lost 11 more games in Durant's rookie season (31 to 20 wins) and then only added 3 wins in KD's 2nd year. There were many people questioning if the skinny kid could lead a winning team especially when the Bulls only had 41 wins in his 2nd year after his rookie season when they also had 41 wins (a jump of +8 from his rookie year).

Griffin missed what should have been his rookie season. Not his fault but that was quite the let down for the franchise and its fans. So he came in to the league technically as a junior with a year of NBA (everything but) none-playing experience under his belt.

Chicago hit the jackpot with getting Rose after finishing 9th worst. The Bulls had a slew of good role players and second/third options but did not have a star. Even after Rose's rookie season there were people questioning his ability due to no outside shot.

With regards to Davis, he has a great frame to add size and strength. My own personal experience (6'7/8", 180/5lbs out of high school) did not see me add size until my early 20's. My final playing weight was 230/5. Another example (and much more relevant!) is a look at the pictures from JV from this time last year until now. Regarding his game, like you said, his rebounding and help D is there and I think his man-to-man D will come with size (read: training and eating) and increased speed, agility, and power. His offensive game has all the tools to be a great inside out matchup nightmare but, like you said, it will take time and hopefully whatever teams drafts him (and its fans) are patient.

At the end of his rookie contract though, I expect him to be in line for a max extension.

Comment

• Davis is as sure a thing as you can get. He'll impact games from the get-go.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I agree with what you are saying but (if this makes any sense at all) your expectations might a little out of whack (no offense intended) given the path those players went through to get to where they are today..

SEA/OKC actually lost 11 more games in Durant's rookie season (31 to 20 wins) and then only added 3 wins in KD's 2nd year. There were many people questioning if the skinny kid could lead a winning team especially when the Bulls only had 41 wins in his 2nd year after his rookie season when they also had 41 wins (a jump of +8 from his rookie year).

Griffin missed what should have been his rookie season. Not his fault but that was quite the let down for the franchise and its fans. So he came in to the league technically as a junior with a year of NBA (everything but) none-playing experience under his belt.

Chicago hit the jackpot with getting Rose after finishing 9th worst. The Bulls had a slew of good role players and second/third options but did not have a star. Even after Rose's rookie season there were people questioning his ability due to no outside shot.

With regards to Davis, he has a great frame to add size and strength. My own personal experience (6'7/8", 180/5lbs out of high school) did not see me add size until my early 20's. My final playing weight was 230/5. Another example (and much more relevant!) is a look at the pictures from JV from this time last year until now. Regarding his game, like you said, his rebounding and help D is there and I think his man-to-man D will come with size (read: training and eating) and increased speed, agility, and power. His offensive game has all the tools to be a great inside out matchup nightmare but, like you said, it will take time and hopefully whatever teams drafts him (and its fans) are patient.

At the end of his rookie contract though, I expect him to be in line for a max extension.
                              Fair enough. And not my expectations, but rather what I expect will be the expectations placed on him by fans of whatever team drafts him. His game just isn't finished enough yet to come in and be the savior of some pathetic (or lucky) team, as some articles have been making him seem destined to be. Especially on the offensive end.

Comment

• Defensively for the first couple years, anyways.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X