2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Remember all the talk of this draft not being as "deep" as once thought?

That seems like a bit of a joke now, doesn't it? Looks like there will be some very good players for Colangelo to choose from, even if we drop to 11th.
    Well, still not everyone agrees:

New Orleans Hornets Coach Monty Williams doesn't think upcoming draft is deep with talent

Although next month’s NBA draft is considered to be deep with talent, New Orleans Hornets Coach Monty Williams disagrees. With two lottery picks, the Hornets are slotted fourth and 10th in the May 30 draft lottery and have a 13.7 percent chance of landing the top pick.

"I don’t see this deep draft everybody is talking about,’’ Williams said. "I think there are a few players at the top that are really good that can be good players. But I don’t see any Carmelos or LeBrons.’’

Kentucky power forward Anthony Davis is considered to be the best available player and is expected to be the No. 1 pick.

Most mock drafts have Davis, Kansas’ Thomas Robinson, Connecticut’s Andre Drummond, Kentucky’s Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes and Florida’s Bradley Beal are considered to be the top six players available.

"I don’t think you’re going to find a (Manu) Ginobili at 52,’’ Williams said. "The last few weeks I’ve had a chance to look at all these young guys on tape and I’m not jaded by the hoopla as everybody else is. I think there are good players, but I don’t see this deep draft.’’
    Source

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      That is not game speed and no defenders. I find it tough to get excited about these types of videos - but that is just me.

It is interesting that Colangelo reportedly was talking about Harkless in March if memory serves correct.

I would not be happy if Harkless is what the Raptors come away with in the draft. If they obtain another pick though, that would be cool - either after trading their own pick or acquiring another.
      Remember back in 2009 when DeRozan worked out here against a chair? I like Harkless as a project, but at this point, aren't we all sick of "projects"? So, I agree with you, Matt.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        Well, still not everyone agrees:

Source
        I've said for awhile that this draft is deep with solid rotation players, but very shallow with potential allstars. I think we'll see a lot of drafting according to positional need, since it won't be clear cut after the first few picks who the 'best player available' is. Toronto should get a solid contributor, but I'm not holding my breath for any sort of franchise cornerstone type player.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Remember all the talk of this draft not being as "deep" as once thought?

That seems like a bit of a joke now, doesn't it? Looks like there will be some very good players for Colangelo to choose from, even if we drop to 11th.
          We can't fall to 11th but, this a deep draft after all.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/5/24/3...tors?ref=yahoo

Bradley Beal: Beal All and End All for the Toronto Raptors

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
              http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/5/24/3...tors?ref=yahoo

Bradley Beal: Beal All and End All for the Toronto Raptors
              I'm starting to like the idea of Beal at 2 guard, Demar moved to the 3. Very athletic perimeter team if I might say.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                I'm starting to like the idea of Beal at 2 guard, Demar moved to the 3. Very athletic perimeter team if I might say.
                Beal is a pretty average athlete. Definitely less athletic than Barnes or Lamb.

Comment

• Chad Ford tweets from Santa Barbara (BC in attendance)

Chad Ford Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

About 80 NBA scouts and execs here in Santa Barbara including Kevin O'Connor, Mitch Kupchak, Bob Meyers, & Brian Colangelo

John Jenkins just hit 13/15 from 3 in a fast paced 3-point drill. Though I think everyone in here knows he's the best shooter in the draft

Jenkins just follows up hitting 12/15 from NBA three. Pretty stroke.

Jenkins has added some muscle to his frame. Looks more explosive than he did at Vandy.

Ezeli has a great body and is tough. But no one to match his strength here. In much better shape and more explosive now.

Marcus Denmon looks good in second group. There's a toughness there. Being a leader. Hitting shots. Hustling. Scouts think he's underrated

The most interesting tweet of all:

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Perry Jones is killing it in this workout. Playing as a 3. Speed, skill, explosiveness, soft jumper. Energy. Another Paul George?
                  You think Colangelo views George as 'the one that got away'?

Perry Jones scares the shit out of me but if he was played out of position and really is a three...... wow.

I am glad I am not making that call.

Comment

• I'm not a big fan of small 2guard but, im starting to be a big fan of Dion Waiters
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      The most interesting tweet of all:

You think Colangelo views George as 'the one that got away'?

Perry Jones scares the shit out of me but if he was played out of position and really is a three...... wow.

I am glad I am not making that call.
                      Bryco didn't miss out on him though. He was just picked a head. Wow if he can actually play the 3 that extremely scary. I've been saying that he would kill workouts. We think about it now we would be extremely luck if he fell to #8
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Bryco didn't miss out on him though. He was just picked a head. Wow if he can actually play the 3 that extremely scary. I've been saying that he would kill workouts. We think about it now we would be extremely luck if he fell to #8
                        You are right. I knew that as well. It was reported at the time that Colangelo was very interested in him if memory serves correct - that is what I meant about him getting away: another team got him. Sorry for not being more clear.

Oh yeah, and of the Ford tweet on PJ3, "energy" is the word that stands out the most for me.

Comment

• I don't care if they tweet he dunked from the three point line, I want nothing to do with PJ3.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I could care less about the "motor" concerns about PJ3. The way Dwane Casey coaches on the sidelines, you'd have to be pretty ignorant not to listen.

6'11" - long, quick, explosive & a soft jumper ?

I hope his stock doesn't move up significantly by draft night.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                              I hope his stock doesn't move up significantly by draft night.
                              I was thinking the same thing. If he continues to kill it in workouts, he may not be available by the 8th pick.

Comment

• But....the million dollar question is 'Can he do it on a consistent basis and not just have it as a one time thing?'. Any one player can do it once.

Comment

Working...
                                X