No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually kind of hope that BC made that promise after this. Great breakdown of The Waiter's game.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• More promises in Raptorland?

Sounds like the Raptors expressed a lot of interest in Duke’s Austin Rivers. They’re attracted to his assertive, don’t-back-down attitude.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
      One NBA assistant coach said he was surprised Austin Rivers didn’t work out at the NBA's predraft combine here Thursday. The East scout expects Rivers to be selected in the Nos. 10-20 range, but an NBA source told Yahoo! Sports that Rivers has a promise late in the draft lottery. The Portland Trail Blazers, Toronto Raptors, Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards and New Orleans Hornets plan to work out Rivers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ce...t-process.html
      Now, there is a report that the Raptors at No. 8 were impressed with Rivers, although that seems high for him. Besides there is buzz about this idea with Toronto’s No. 8 pick — they have looked to trade it and reportedly Phoenix, at No. 13, really loves Dion Waiters, who shut down workouts because of a promise to be taken. The Raptors GM denied making that promise. But if you connect the trade dots…

Still, apparently somebody is high on Rivers, who has the smooth game you expect of a coach’s son but can at times look for his own shot over setting up teammates for better looks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ce...t-process.html
      He measured 6'3.5" in socks and 6'5" in shoes. Weighs 203lbs. 6'7.25" wingspan.

I don't know what all these rumours about SG's and the Raptors mean. Does it mean:

- the Raptors are looking for a new Barbosa?
      - Bayless is done in Toronto?
      - DeRozan is done in Toronto?
      - DeRozan is no longer thought of as a SG?
      - or is it a smokescreen and BC/Steffi keeping cards close to their chest?

SwishScout.com Profile: http://swishscout.com/?page_id=737

Is it June 28th yet?

Comment

• Pass on Rivers, Meh on Waiters.

I got on the Lillard bandwagon early, and staying on. Prepared to take a chance on Perry Jones or Terrence Jones, or try to suspend my disbelief and pretend Barnes is till a top prospect. Other than that, trade the pick and try and grab a Kevin Jones or Jae Crowder later in the draft and trade a busload of our extra power and combo forwards for some real wing players.

But really, I just want Lillard! I have convinced my self he will be a top 5 PG.

Comment

• Again same here not high on Rivers or Waiters. Lillard I like but would prefer an vet a PG. I wouldn't be disappointed with him as the/a pick.
          Do not want PJIII I don't care if some think we would regret it if we don't take him I fully think we regret it if we do take him.

For me the list is now, in no order, Lillard, Beal, TRoss. On the bubble for me is Barnes.

This is of course considering we stay or move down in the draft. I like MKG as a player but not for the Raps as currently constructed.

Comment

• I agree with the hesitation on PJones, but his usage/efficiency stats are actually pretty good, so if it's true he was playing out of position is a natural SF, that bodes really well.

But Lillard's got it all, amazing advanced stats, high motor, high character, so no need to look any further, really.

We do have a vet PG to play ahead of him until he comes into his own, Jose Calderon (or, who knows, maybe Nash) and with his scoring prowess he could find some time at the 2, as well, especially if Bayless is moved. Lillard makes Bayless irrelevant, especially as Forbes is good enough for depth at the 2/3.

If Bayless could play the 2 full time, I would like his game better than DeRozan's, but I don't think he can.

If the Nash rumours are true, Lillard would be an amazing understudy.

Comment

• I agree that Lillard might be good, but when comparing him to other players remember that he has had four years at college to mature and develop his game. Comparing him to players who have had just one year in college is apples to oranges.

His PER for last year was 33.8, but his PER for his Freshman year was 17.0. As a comparison, here are a few other PGs and their PER for their freshman year:

Kemba Walker = 17.4.
              Brandon Knight = 19.2
              Mario Chalmers = 21.5
              Jerryd Bayless = 23.7
              Stephen Curry = 27.8
              Kyrie Irving = 32.5 (only 11 games)

Comment

• I have a feeling PJ3 is going to be the Tristan Thompson of this years draft.
                Get drafted WAY higher than anyone is predicting.

If this is NOT the case, I think BC would be silly not to take him.
                Best chance of netting us that Franchise 3. (At least until we can draft Andrew Wiggins! Weeee)

Comment

• Speaking of Wiggins, found this great article on him in the National Post:

TORONTO — There stood the Andrew Wiggins, a young man blending into his surroundings: an assortment of gangly limbs, pubescent stubble, black-and-white pinnies and sneakers.

The 17-year-old basketball prodigy — a Toronto native and West Virginia sophomore who is the No. 1 prospect in the U.S. high school class of 2014 — was the star attraction at the Canadian junior men’s national team camp at Ryerson University over the weekend.

“I watched him play last week [and] in the last minute of a tied game, he got the ball twice, in isolation plays, drove and dunked on the whole entire team to win the game,” said Rowan Barrett, the executive vice president and assistant GM of Canada’s senior men’s national team. “No celebration … he walked to the free-throw line like, ‘I’ve been here before, I’ve done this before,’ hit the free throws, didn’t stare anybody down; no chest bumping.

“There is a definite humility with him.”

A self-professed “quiet guy” off the court, Wiggins is clearly most comfortable on it. West Virginia’s high school player of the year was blithely going about his business over the weekend, running laps with the other hopefuls and vying for one of 12 roster spots to compete in this summer’s FIBA Americas under-18 championship in Brazil.

He was most distinguishable from his contemporaries during the full-court scrimmage, where he put his substantially filled-out 6-foot-7 body and hawkish 6-11 wingspan to good use.

“Even at 17, he’s already NBA size for his [small forward] position,” Barrett said. “And he already has NBA athleticism for his position.”
                  Continued...

Comment

• Not sure if anyone saw, but Arse did a GREAT job laying out some of the Combine Measurements.

Arse' Combine Talk

Some that stood out to me, was Perry Jones at just over 6'11". Thats drool worthy in my opinion. With his skills, dude could be unstoppable.

And Kendall Marshall, at over 6'4", with 6'5.5" wingspan. Great numbers for a PG with his Vision. Can just pass it over top of everyone else.
                    Last edited by Joey; Sun Jun 10, 2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• That's not a very good wingspan
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I'm not saying if I was a marshall fan (im not) it'd be a deal breaker, I'm just saying its not very good.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Speaking of Wiggins, found this great article on him in the National Post:
                          Nice article

Comment

• Its a smokescreen to pick PJ3

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              He measured 6'3.5" in socks and 6'5" in shoes. Weighs 203lbs. 6'7.25" wingspan.

I don't know what all these rumours about SG's and the Raptors mean. Does it mean:

- the Raptors are looking for a new Barbosa?
                              - Bayless is done in Toronto?
                              - DeRozan is done in Toronto?
                              - DeRozan is no longer thought of as a SG?
                              - or is it a smokescreen and BC/Steffi keeping cards close to their chest?

SwishScout.com Profile: http://swishscout.com/?page_id=737

Is it June 28th yet?

Could a sign and trade be in the works (but hush-hush since it's not July yet)? Raps send player+8 for Nash+13?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Not sure if anyone saw, but Arse did a GREAT job laying out some of the Combine Measurements.

Arse' Combine Talk

Some that stood out to me, was Perry Jones at just over 6'11". Thats drool worthy in my opinion. With his skills, dude could be unstoppable.

And Kendall Marshall, at over 6'4", with 6'5.5" wingspan. Great numbers for a PG with his Vision. Can just pass it over top of everyone else.
                                The complete measurements of every player is also in post 3166, page 159.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post134323

Comment

Working...
                                X