2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    Finally got to see Quincy play. I likey. A lot.
    It was the first full game I got to watch of him. I was impressed by his defensive play in the zone. I could see Quincy and Casey working very well together. Offensively he is very talented in so many facets of the game.

The announcers made mention of his knee not being 100%. That is my concern with him. It also bodes very well for his future if the knee is healthy and approved by medical staff. Give him a bit more explosiveness and -wow-.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      It was the first full game I got to watch of him. I was impressed by his defensive play in the zone. I could see Quincy and Casey working very well together. Offensively he is very talented in so many facets of the game.

The announcers made mention of his knee not being 100%. That is my concern with him. It also bodes very well for his future if the knee is healthy and approved by medical staff. Give him a bit more explosiveness and -wow-.
      told you he is KD 2.0 in the making. Future Raptors franchise player, QM and DD future best wing duo in the NBA.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        told you he is KD 2.0 in the making. Future Raptors franchise player, QM and DD future best wing duo in the NBA.
        Fair comparison. Although I'd say he's actually more explosive than KD, and not as much of a pure-shooter. But he certainly has shown to have some range on his shot thats for sure.

Comment

• I think the player that is Casey type player would be MKG. His motor is off the charts, great defender, great rebounder and his as tough as nails! His only a freshmen and is already considered the leader on that team. He does everything well and does it hard. The only problem with him is his jumper. I don't know how I feel about putting him in a lineup next to DD but, if were serious about this culture we want to build than MKG has to be the choice unless we in the top 5.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

And you came to this conclusion from watching a few highlights on youtube? I think you should look at what Kevin Durant did in his one year of college. How many players get their number retired after one year?

In his one season at Texas he averaged:

35.9 minutes
            25.8 points on 47.3% field goal percentage and 40.4% on three's while shooting 81.6% from the free throw line.
            11.3 rebounds per game.
            1.3 asts
            1.9 steals
            1.9 blocks.

I'm not shitting on Miller. I have made posts on him from the beginning of 2012 draft talk this past summer. However he is far from the talent of Kevin Durant. If he was, he would be in the discussion with Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond for number 1 or 2.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              I think the player that is Casey type player would be MKG. His motor is off the charts, great defender, great rebounder and his as tough as nails! His only a freshmen and is already considered the leader on that team. He does everything well and does it hard. The only problem with him is his jumper. I don't know how I feel about putting him in a lineup next to DD but, if were serious about this culture we want to build than MKG has to be the choice unless we in the top 5.
              I'm not shitting on DeRozan or hoping he is traded but what if MKG played the 2 or 3 and another player was acquired to play the other wing position? I like DeMar and hope the best for him but, like any other Raptor minus JV, in my opinion, there are no untouchables.

Comment

I've watched a few Baylor games, and expecting Miller to be similar to Durant is expecting too much I think. Durant had impact/franchise player all over him from just one season in college. Also Baylor's stud appears to be PJ3, and not Miller.

I like Miller, but right now my SF draft board has MKG, Barnes, Miller in that order (although MKG/Barnes are very close and I'll probably change my opinion a few times before the end of the season).

Comment

• HW.com discusses Marquis Teague, Cody Zeller, James McAdoo, LeBryan Nash, and Myck Kabongo.

Myck Kabongo (Texas) – 6’1, 169 lbs. Point Guard
                  Like Teague, Kabongo came into college basketball with lofty expectations that he hasn’t exactly lived up to yet. Kabongo is averaging a modest nine points, three rebounds and five assists a contest. His assist-to-turnover ratio is lackluster, as is his stroke from beyond the arc. While many coaches could live with that production from a freshman guard, Kabongo was billed as the next great one-and-done player for the Longhorns. Unfortunately, he just doesn’t look ready at all.

Before playing at the next level Kabongo has to get stronger and really put in a lot of time working on his jump shot. That work is better done in the NCAA, as he would be one of the top-ranked prospects for next year’s draft if he sticks around. Longhorns head coach Rick Barnes is going to continue to surround him with a lot of talent, so he never has to worry about being without help. He just has to concern himself with doing the things that he needs to do to become a pro-level point guard.

Kabongo doesn’t control the game like he has the ability to do. That’s something that should come in time, but if he leaves early he risks losing out on great development opportunities just to be glued to an NBA team’s bench, or in the D.

Source: HoopsWorld.com

Comment

And you came to this conclusion from watching a few highlights on youtube? I think you should look at what Kevin Durant did in his one year of college. How many players get their number retired after one year?

In his one season at Texas he averaged:

35.9 minutes
                    25.8 points on 47.3% field goal percentage and 40.4% on three's while shooting 81.6% from the free throw line.
                    11.3 rebounds per game.
                    1.3 asts
                    1.9 steals
                    1.9 blocks.

I'm not shitting on Miller. I have made posts on him from the beginning of 2012 draft talk this past summer. However he is far from the talent of Kevin Durant. If he was, he would be in the discussion with Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond for number 1 or 2.
                    we'll KD played more minutes than Miller and got more touches. Baylor relies on Perry jones more

Comment

• Durant is one of the best college players I've ever seen. He had more offensive moves in his repertoire than most seasoned vets in the nba do.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

we'll KD played more minutes than Miller and got more touches. Baylor relies on Perry jones more
                        And Perry Jones III is nowhere near the talent of Kevin Durant in his one year at Texas either.

Comment

• Their are only two players in this draft that have the potential to be a impact player on KD's level and they are Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond. You could say the same thing about PJ3 but I just don`t think he'll live up to it.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Is Harrison Barnes Overrated?

Predicting human performance is the single most difficult part of the business behind professional sports. It’s why players like Hasheem Thabeet get taken as a second-overall pick in the NBA draft, and it’s also why a player like Tony Parker falls to the bottom of the first round. Predicting human behavior is simply not an exact science.

The thing about science, though, is that it’s always evolving. Methods get better, more accurate. As depicted in the movie “Moneyball,” the science if predicting human performance is no different.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at University of North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes. Once believed to be a top overall NBA draft pick, Barnes has since dropped a couple of notches in the ranks over at Draft Express, the foremost authority on all things NBA draft. They have him currently ranked third overall, so let’s take a look at some of the reasons why he might be worth a pick that high.

Barnes gets 80% of his offense in half court sets, where he has scored 189 points in 208 possessions. That’s good enough to rank him in the 69th percentile, so he’s well above average as scouts rank him “very good.” He’s even better in transition, scoring 64 points on 51 possessions to rank in the 76th percentile. He’s scored the vast majority (93%) of his points this season against man-to-man defense, and he ranks in the 67th percentile overall in those situations. He’s only had 14 possessions against the zone, so the sample size is small. Still, he’s scored 16 points on those 14 possessions, good for an 82nd percentile ranking.

Compare those numbers to Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, currently projected to be the top overall pick in next summer’s draft, and you can see why he’s no longer the top pick. Davis ranks in the 90% percentile or better across the board offensively for a ranking of “excellent.”

A quick look at projected second overall pick Andre Drummond (UCONN) reveals that while Drummond is a significant step below Davis, he is also a step above Barnes. Drummond gets 89% of his offense in the half court, where he is ranked in the 79% percentile. He’s also in the 89th percentile in transition, where he gets 11% of his offense.

Barnes may be a step below those two players, but he is not completely outclassed.

On the defensive end Barnes is still somewhat of a work in progress. He is best when defending spot-up shooters, where he ranks in the 71st percentile, and he’s not bad when defending the ball handler in a pick-and-roll (64th percentile). He’s average in isolation situations (49th percentile) and below average in hand-offs (15th percentile).

What that means is that the team that drafts Barnes will need to understand that he’s not going to be a defensive stopper, and they’ll need to surround him with some good defenders to make up for that weakness. On the offensive end, however, Barnes could very well be an impact player in the NBA, which makes him very worthy of the third overall pick.

Source: HoopsWorld.com

Interesting read. I'm not sure it is fair to compare Drummond and Davis to Barnes. They are both scoring at the basket on the majority of possessions or in a post up. Barnes is shooting from deep. A comparison to Lamb or Beal or even Jones III would have been more interesting and better served.

The bolded section is interesting. He is not a defensive stopper but he is very athletic. I wonder what he would bring to Dwane Casey's system? (although I make the same wondering thoughts on MKG and Quincy Miller as well).

Comment

• I like Barnes and all but there's 2 SF's I'd take over him, not to mention Beal.

Edit: I'm assuming Davis is off the board already
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Is Harrison Barnes Overrated?

Interesting read. I'm not sure it is fair to compare Drummond and Davis to Barnes. They are both scoring at the basket on the majority of possessions or in a post up. Barnes is shooting from deep. A comparison to Lamb or Beal or even Jones III would have been more interesting and better served.

The bolded section is interesting. He is not a defensive stopper but he is very athletic. I wonder what he would bring to Dwane Casey's system? (although I make the same wondering thoughts on MKG and Quincy Miller as well).
                                agree...it's really the only thing that truly troubles me about barnes, and one of the only reasons i like MKG just a bit more (that, and MKG apparently has a ridiculous motor & nose for D).

as for the initial question re. HB...i'm going to guess that by the time the draft rolls around, barnes will have been thought of as overhyped/overrated for so long, that he'll then be considered underrated, and remain a top-5 (if not higher) pick.

FWIW...being named a pre-season all-american before ever playing an NCAA game is a strong indicator that he's likely always been somewhat overrated, or at least overhyped - and that's something that could stick with him. although i like MKG a bit more, i can see barnes having a better pro career...some of these college kids just don't explode in the college game the way their raw talent would suggest, for a variety of reasons. i think there are a lot of examples of guys (in big programs, especially) who, while highly touted coming out of school, have had careers in the NBA that far exceeded what was expected.
                                TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Working...
                                X