Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Now that the Raptors appear to have selected a top-grade starting Center for the future (Valanciunus), they can turn their attention to other priorities. So any pick in the top ten next year would probably provide either a top-grade SF or PG. The importance of snagging Valanciunus this year will become apparent as they prepare for next year's draft.

    Comment


    • #77
      I understand some of you are eager to post, and that's great, but please before you do, take a second and look on the first page before creating a topic/ starting a new thread.

      Comment


      • #78
        "Everything 2012 Draft" thread on the horizon?

        Comment


        • #79
          Perfect. One neat thread.

          Comment


          • #80
            was he playing a bunch of midgets!


            that stat line is insane for gilchrist!
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

            Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

            Comment


            • #81
              I think we can all agree that the NBA draft is more important in terms of teams fortunes than in MLB NFL or NHL. Here's how I would do it...
              LY DR= Last Year's Draft Ranking
              3Y DR= Draft Ranking based on average of last 3 seasons
              MW DR= My Weighted 3 year average Draft Ranking (65% last season, 20% 2009-2010, 15% 2008-2009)


              Team LY DR 3Y DR MW DR
              Minnesota 1 1 1
              Washington 4 3 2
              Sacramento 5 2 3
              New Jersey 6 4 4
              Toronto 3 7 5
              LA Clipper 8 5 6
              Detroit 7 8 7
              G.State 11 6 8
              Cleveland 2 22 9
              Indiana 12 10 10
              Charlotte 9 13 11
              Milwaukee 10 14 12
              New York 16 9 13
              Philadelphia 15 11 14
              Memphis 19 12 15
              Utah 13 19 16
              Phoenix 14 18 17
              NO 20 16 18
              Houston 17 17 19
              Atlanta 18 20 20
              OkC 24 15 21
              Portland 21 24 22
              Denver 22 25 23
              Miami 28 23 24
              Orlando 23 29 25
              Chicago 30 21 26
              Dallas 26 26 27
              Boston 25 28 28
              San An 29 27 29
              LA Lakers 27 30 30


              I think a weighted 3 year average makes sense. How you did last year should be more important than how you did 3 seasons ago, but still allows some historical influence.

              I would still do a lottery for the bottom 14 teams using the same method the NBA currently uses. Teams like Toronto and Cleveland don't get as screwed as they would under a straight 3 year average, and teams on the rise like Chicago and Miami pick in the mid-late 20's.

              Thoughts?
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

              "I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

              "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

              Comment


              • #82
                I thought about creating a new post just to give Matt an aneurism, (and then have it moved after a few days) simply because I have said it over and over and over...

                Draft age likely to increase

                It is entirely likely(probable) that regardless of how the $ and cap negotiations play out, the age of draftees in the coming CBA will be increased to 20yrs old and 2yrs in college (2yrs removed from HS).

                This ELIMINATES at least 9 top prospects from next years 'stellar' draft class. Those names include many often repeated desireable players to Toronto by fans on RR (+others):
                Anthony Davis (PF) (projected #1 - not that I think he would actually end up there anyway)
                Quincy Miller (SF)
                James Mcadoo (SF)
                Michael Gilchrest (SF)
                Bradley Beal (SG)
                Austin Rivers (SG/PG)
                Adonis Thomas (SF)
                Myck Kabongo (PG)
                Marquis Teague (PG)

                others:
                Lebryan Nash (SF)
                Evan Fournier (SG/SF)

                The Raptors would either need a top 3 pick, if not the top pick to ensure a Harrison Barnes pick since any players that push him down the board possibly won't be in the draft; or for the lockout to extend the entire season so the one and done players can still enter the draft thereby allowing the truly talented draft so many expect.

                Comment


                • #83
                  That "top prospect" board is going to change dozens of times before the next draft takes place. The NCAA season and March Madness always has a huge impact on how the actual draft plays out. There are guys not being mentioned as top dogs right now who may be by June of next year so even if the age limit goes up that does not mean the draft will be weak.

                  By the way, right now Draftexpress.com shows this in their 2012 mock draft:
                  1. Davis (18 yrs)
                  2. Barnes (19yrs)
                  3. Sullinger (19 yrs)
                  4. Jones (19 yrs)
                  5. Miller (18 yrs)
                  6. McAdoo (18 yrs)
                  7. Gilchrist (17 yrs)
                  8. J. V. Hater (17 yrs)
                  9. Rivers (18 yrs)
                  10. Henson (20 yrs)


                  Like I said, this will probably look entirely different by next June even if they don't raise the age cap.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    If the lockout goes beyond next year's draft, then the age limit would (presumably) remain the same. Of course it would probably mean the Raptors would have less of a chance at the top pick, making more depth better for them. I think the worst option would be if the season is cancelled, but the lockout ends before the draft and the age limit is raised.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Maleko wrote: View Post
                      I thought about creating a new post just to give Matt an aneurism, (and then have it moved after a few days) simply because I have said it over and over and over...

                      Draft age likely to increase

                      It is entirely likely(probable) that regardless of how the $ and cap negotiations play out, the age of draftees in the coming CBA will be increased to 20yrs old and 2yrs in college (2yrs removed from HS).

                      This ELIMINATES at least 9 top prospects from next years 'stellar' draft class. Those names include many often repeated desireable players to Toronto by fans on RR (+others):
                      Anthony Davis (PF) (projected #1 - not that I think he would actually end up there anyway)
                      Quincy Miller (SF)
                      James Mcadoo (SF)
                      Michael Gilchrest (SF)
                      Bradley Beal (SG)
                      Austin Rivers (SG/PG)
                      Adonis Thomas (SF)
                      Myck Kabongo (PG)
                      Marquis Teague (PG)

                      others:
                      Lebryan Nash (SF)
                      Evan Fournier (SG/SF)

                      The Raptors would either need a top 3 pick, if not the top pick to ensure a Harrison Barnes pick since any players that push him down the board possibly won't be in the draft; or for the lockout to extend the entire season so the one and done players can still enter the draft thereby allowing the truly talented draft so many expect.
                      The age limit will give me an aneurism before a new thread.

                      It is definitely an issue though and one that I really hope does not come to pass. Imagine missing out on Durant only to miss out on some of these players next year.

                      Silver lining, without a major stud drafted in 2012 you can almost guarantee a top 5 pick again the following year.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        not a silver lining at all... 3 years in a row reaching for lottery success? who are we the clippers?
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          not a silver lining at all... 3 years in a row reaching for lottery success? who are we the clippers?

                          you have to reach down in the lottery a lot more than that to be the Clippers. And you'd have to strike out a lot there, too. The Raptors have, it seems, done VERY well in the lottery the last few years. Besides, if ran the Raptors, wouldn't you switch rosters with them right now?
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            you have to reach down in the lottery a lot more than that to be the Clippers. And you'd have to strike out a lot there, too. The Raptors have, it seems, done VERY well in the lottery the last few years. Besides, if ran the Raptors, wouldn't you switch rosters with them right now?
                            Just hoping for a draft 2 YEARS from now is reaching down pretty low, I think the raptors should stop going lottery bound after next years draft. I think we could too with both our lithuanian and whichever superstar we get next year. I hate the idea (im sure our young core does to) of sticking around the basement of the league for another 3 years.
                            I was using historical measure, otherwise I wouldve said the kings, or wolves. Clips are looking real bright these days infact.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              Just hoping for a draft 2 YEARS from now is reaching down pretty low, I think the raptors should stop going lottery bound after next years draft. I think we could too with both our lithuanian and whichever superstar we get next year. I hate the idea (im sure our young core does to) of sticking around the basement of the league for another 3 years.
                              I was using historical measure, otherwise I wouldve said the kings, or wolves. Clips are looking real bright these days infact.
                              Not that OKC is the be all and end all in terms of rebuild but to just give perspective:

                              After 2 years out of the playoffs they had nothing to show from the draft.

                              2007 - Durant

                              2008 - Westbrook

                              2009 - Harden/Ibaka

                              2010 - playoffs as 8th seed



                              My point? Patience is easier said than done.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                                Screw the lottery and screw the NHL system. I hope we go the NFL system which is designed to make the worst team better by giving them the #1 pick. If you finish last you get #1 pick, if you win the superbowl you get the last pick if you lose the superbowl you get second last pick etc.
                                Can we do that the year after this year? I kind of wanted us to send a little orphaned blind Chinese girl with leprosy and tourette syndrome for the lottery this year.

                                Plus the NFL system can't be rigged by a spiteful commissioner, what fun is that?
                                Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jul 7, 2011, 12:09 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X