No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we should trade indiana's second rounder and the cash for a late first rounder. If we select Kabongo with the first rounder we get rid of our second rounder for a young role player or cash. 4 rookies will be 1 too many

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Seems we are both a little correct in our opinions:

Personally, I think he will be a late first round pick if he declares. Based on Colangelo's feverish attempt to get Corey Joseph last year, I think he'll do more to get Kabongo who happens to be a better player (in my opinion).
      Surprising that a Freshman with so much potential would enter the NBA draft rated in the second round. If true, he must really dislike playing for Barnes at Texas. I would completely support any attempt by the Raptors to snag a late first round pick to nab Kabongo. I think he is underrated at this point. Having said that, he could move back up draft boards with some good workouts.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
        Surprising that a Freshman with so much potential would enter the NBA draft rated in the second round. If true, he must really dislike playing for Barnes at Texas. I would completely support any attempt by the Raptors to snag a late first round pick to nab Kabongo. I think he is underrated at this point. Having said that, he could move back up draft boards with some good workouts.
        There is no questioning his talent. If he taps it all, who knows? But that is the issue with many prospects.

He is currently ranked #5 on DraftEXpress.com 2013 mock. A lot can happen in a year but I think that speaks to his talent.

This is only opinion and speculation on my part but I think he would be top 10 pick easy if he was in UNC or Kentucky with the talent Marshall and Teague have around them.

Comment

• Chad Ford talks draft in a chat today:
          http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43033

Some noteable questions:

Steve (Mobile, AL)

While efficient, Anthony Davis has yet to prove he is capable of shouldering an offensive load. No multiple all star from recent years came into the NBA with a usage rate as low as Davis (under 20). Shouldn't this be a red flag? He's clearly a physical freak, but why are scouts so willing to overlook his obvious offensive limitations?

Chad Ford
          (1:30 PM)

It's an issue. But Davis is clearly going to be an all-world defender. And if you watch him carefully, when his team needs him to step up offensively and get a big bucket, he usually delivers. I think that's the thing about Davis that so impresses people -- the willingness (and ability) to do whatever his team needs for them to win. Remember ... Tim Duncan only averaged 10 ppg as a freshman at Wake Forest.

Dan (Minneapolis)

Chad, which player(s) in the Sweet 16 can do the most for their draft stock?

Chad Ford
          (1:32 PM)

A big game by Bradley Beal could propel him up a few more spots. Right now he's No. 4 on our Big Board, but I've had several GMs tell me in the past few days that he's their second favorite player in this draft. If they could hang their hat on a couple of big games down the stretch, he could get there. Obviously Perry Jones really needs to redeem himself after a tough first weekend in the tournament. If Dion Waiters keeps playing well, he could keep rising on our boards as well.

Brian (Seattle)

Why is Barnes not rated higher by GMs? Seems to have everything except ability to create offense off the dribble. Other than that would be an ideal 3, and there are not many of those in the NBA right now.

Chad Ford
          (1:35 PM)

GMs would like their threes to create offense off the dribble and be more than just a jump shooter. His lack of assists and rebounding for his size also are red flags. No one questions his ability to be a shooter/scorer at the next level. But I think they're wishing he could do a bit more than that.

MRBankster (Orem, UT)

Is Damian Lillard for real???

Chad Ford
          (1:36 PM)

For sure. Every GM I spoke with has him in the lottery. How good will he be? Not sure. He needs to make a transition as a point guard at the next level. But I think he'll be the first point guard off the board.

Austin (Ames)

What does Royce White have to show scouts/GMs to move into the late teens 20s range?

Chad Ford
          (1:39 PM)

He's easily a Top 15 talent. Interviews, dealing with some off the court stuff, addressing the anxiety disorder are all issues that need to be worked out.

Jim (KC)

Is Thomas Robinson a top 5 guy for sure in this draft?

Chad Ford
          (1:42 PM)

Probably a lock for the Top 5. Could go as high as No. 2. Only issue scouts really have with him is size and his tendency to want to play out on the perimeter or be a ball handler. He can do some of that stuff in college, but he'll struggle with that at the next level.

Brian (Seattle)

Any chance Perry Jones is better in the pros than in college? He's barely making all conference teams now...

Chad Ford
          (1:48 PM)

Could be. Scott Drew and the Baylor guards don't do him any favors that's for sure. He can go long stretches without touching the ball. He's going to need the right coach ... someone that will allow him to play some small forward, handle the ball, shoot perimeter shots. He doesn't have the temperament to be a center in the NBA>

Gerald (Kentucky)

What are the draft prospects for Kentucky's players other than Davis and MKG? Will Doron Lamb and Darius Miller be drafted?

Chad Ford
          (1:51 PM)

Yes. Lamb might even sneak into the first round. Terrence Jones will be late lottery to mid first round. Some teams like Marquis Teague in the late first round as well.

AK (Portland)

Tony Wroten's stats are nearly identical to Tyreke Evans' in his freshman year. And he can pass better than 'Reke already. How come he's barely breaking top 20 in the mocks?

Chad Ford
          (1:55 PM)

He's a Top 5 talent. But concerns about his attitude and how it affects his team. Concerns about his lack of a jumper. And concerns about how wild he can be scare teams. May be, along with Drummond and Perry Jones, the highest risk-reward player in the draft.

Bryden (Winnipeg)

Why are teams so high on Beal? Isn't he undersized for a SG?

Chad Ford
          (1:57 PM)

A little. But he's got the complete package from a skills/athleticism/NBA body standpoint. He hasn't shot the ball great this year, but he really has potential as a shooter as well. Hard to see how he fails at the next level.

Comment

• A quick note about this being a strong/weak draft.

Take a look at how many promising NBA rookies the supposedly weak 2011 draft yielded.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_final_draft/2011

I'm sold on this years top 10 being quality. But who knows about the rest. Id say the people who qualify these things are pretty much just shooting from the hip.

Comment

• If Royce White did not have this anxiety/fear of flying disorder he would be number 2 on my board. He battled Anthony Davis quite effectively last week. 23 points on 9 of 12 shooting. Royce can play any position including the point. He's declaring for the draft:

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ones-nba-draft

Also much underrated imo is Austin Rivers. In the games I watched he was clutch every time. He can create his own shots off the dribble drive.

Comment

• Nice story/article on Royce White.
                Dude has UNLIMITED potential and is an incredible talent.

Probably best he falls to a Winning Program with veterans to keep him grounded.
                Too bad he comes with that baggage.

This quote sums him up nicely, I'd say:
                "I'm never at 100 percent because my anxiety is going to take me down 25 percent before the game starts," he said. "Before the game, I'm still feeling sick to my stomach because I want us to win so bad that my adrenaline is getting going before the game even starts. It's hard to do it in front of 20,000 people. But I've trained my mind to deal with it."
                -Royce White

I think he needs to take a page out of Michael Beasleys book ... might calm him down some. haha
                Last edited by Joey; Wed Mar 21, 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  If Royce White did not have this anxiety/fear of flying disorder he would be number 2 on my board. He battled Anthony Davis quite effectively last week. 23 points on 9 of 12 shooting. Royce can play any position including the point. He's declaring for the draft:

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ones-nba-draft

Also much underrated imo is Austin Rivers. In the games I watched he was clutch every time. He can create his own shots off the dribble drive.
                  Big fan of Royce White.

And how can you say Austin Rivers is UNDERrated?! Dude gets more undeserved hype than ANYONE in the NCAA. In my opinion. Though I shouldn't its undeserved. Probably the wrong word.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Big fan of Royce White.

And how can you say Austin Rivers is UNDERrated?! Dude gets more undeserved hype than ANYONE in the NCAA. In my opinion. Though I shouldn't its undeserved. Probably the wrong word.
                    Easy, AR should be in everybody's lottery. You're talking up Kabongo, paleassse!!! Has there ever been a day when Rivers hasn't been a better player?

Comment

Easy, AR should be in everybody's lottery. You're talking up Kabongo, paleassse!!! Has there ever been a day when Rivers hasn't been a better player?
                      I like Kabongo because he has ALWAYS shown to be more of a floor leader and TRUE point guard than Austin Rivers ever has.
                      Austin Rivers can score, I'll give you that. But I'm not convinced he can run an NBA team effectively.
                      Give Kabongo better teammates and he'll be the definition of a Point Guard.
                      Austin Rivers just pretends to be a Point Guard.

Comment

• The modern NBA point guard can manifest his self in many ways. Sometimes he has to score in order for the team to win.

Comment

The modern NBA point guard can manifest his self in many ways. Sometimes he has to score in order for the team to win.
                          While I completely agree with this, Austin Rivers gave the ball to the opponet more than he assisted to his teammates (79 TOs vs. 71 Assists). Thats not a Point Guard in my books.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            While I completely agree with this, Austin Rivers gave the ball to the opponet more than he assisted to his teammates (79 TOs vs. 71 Assists). Thats not a Point Guard in my books.
                            I've never considered Rivers to be a PG. I always thought he was a SG.

I definitely agree he is over hyped. 12 shots a game for 15 points in college? 65% from FT? Poor passer? Undersized? Not a good defender? No thank you. His pedigree is much better than his game.

Comment

• Yeah Rivers is overrated

Edit: and a SG, not PG
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                Yeah Rivers is overrated

Edit: and a SG, not PG
                                Chad Ford has Rivers at 14, ahead of Marshall, and moving up on ESPN's board. Ford bases his mock on what GMs tell him.

...not certain he'll declare. Daddy's rich, you know.
                                Last edited by stretch; Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X