No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to come up with a nickname for Kidd-Gilchrist I refuse to keep writing it all out
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      Anyone watch the game? It was fantastic. Davis blocked the potentially game winning shot and my boy Kidd-Gilchrist went HAM
      I did. I'd been running around the house all morning calling today Christmas because of the game. My wife has not been amused. I've been waiting for this game for about 2 months and it did not disappoint.

Comment

• i missed it crap

Comment

• Phenomenal game, very entertaining if a bit ugly at times. Time for observations!

Barnes: Love his shot, but man does he ever need to prove that he can do something, anything other than hit jumpers. Literally all of his made field goals were threes except for a two that was a three point attempt with a foot on the line. He missed some turnarounds and fades closer to the bucket that looked good but just didn't go down, but he still doesn't seem to have any drive game to speak of. Too bad those two early fouls cooled him off, he looked like he was ready to go off early in the first half.

Davis: It's gotta be tough for him to be so underused by Kentucky offensively, I'm surprised they don't try to ISO him against other bigs at times. He does a great job distributing from the high post in their half court sets though, and the timing on his passes and handoffs is impressive for a big. On the other hand, he is a terrible screen setter and really needs to work on that aspect of his game. Got pushed around a lot by Zeller but did a pretty good job of battling regardless.

Gilchrist: I remember reading a scouting report on him that said something to the effect of, 'he's just a basketball player, he does a bit of everything and competes his ass off', and that's about the best way to describe him. Sneaky athleticism, real nose for the ball, and has great heart. Love his game, he's going to be a solid pro.

Comment

• DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
            As always, Davis made a few plays that showed why he's got a great chance to be the #1 pick. Especially the alleyoop & the block at the end.
            DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
            Davis isn't someone who can create offense right now. Strictly a finisher. But that's OK. Has plenty of time to improve his body/skill-level
            DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
            Those who think Anthony Davis played poorly today didn't have a very clear picture of where he's at in his development going into this game.

Comment

• LEXINGTON, Ky. – There may never have been a college basketball game played with as many potential NBA players as No. 1 Kentucky’s thrilling 73-72 victory over No. 5 North Carolina Saturday at Rupp Arena.

The teams feature at least six lottery picks, as many as 10 future first-round picks and possibly a couple of second-rounders.

I spoke to ESPN’s Chad Ford after the game for a breakdown on a few key guys:

**Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Fr. F., Kentucky

The 6-7 Gilchrist shrugged off a dislocated shoulder in the first half, popped it back in and was a major offensive factor with his relentless drives to the basket. He finished with 17 points and 11 rebounds for his first career double-double.

Ford’s Take: “I thought Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was the most impressive because A) the defense, and B) he got a little bit more going offensively than I think people give him credit for. He got to the rim a couple of times. He hit some big shots. Teams have always loved his motor, his leadership. Obviously, he has the physical tools to get it done. But when you see him contributing offensively the way he did, then you can get really excited bout it.

“I think he’s a lottery pick. The question is, if he can really get it going offensively, how high can a player like that go?”

**Anthony Davis, Fr. F, Kentucky

Coming off a near triple-double of 15 points, 15 boards and 8 blocks Thursday against St. John’s, the 6-10 Davis got off to a slow start. But he finished with 7 point, 9 rebounds and 2 blocks, none bigger than his game-winning swat of John Henson’s 12-foot jumper in the final seconds.

Ford’s Take: “In the first half I thought it was the first time I’d seen him all season where he wasn’t impacting the game. It’s not scoring or whatever. He was just a little bit invisible out there and of course he comes back in the second half and makes some incredible plays.”

Is there any way Davis is not the No. 1 overall pick?

“If he tears his ACL,” Ford said. “He would have to regress dramatically. You see he’s such a unique player out there. Even when he blocks the shot by Henson, and he may be the only player in America that can do it, he gets his own rebound and doesn’t just swat it out of bounds. there’s a certain sort of Bill Russell-ness to that.”

**Terrence Jones, So. F, Kentucky

The knock on the 6-9 Jones is his consistency, but he had a solid game overall, finishing with 14 points on 5-of-14 shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 steals.

Ford’s Take: “His best comp[arison] was sort of Lamar Odom in the first half. He was getting to the basket, shot a 3, made a 3. In the second half, he looked like his more unfortunate comp, Antawn Jamison. He was out on the perimeter more, shooting those long-range shots. But it’s classic Terrence Jones. The first half he looks like a Top 5 pick in the DRaft, the second half he didn’t score a point.”

** Doron Lamb, So. G, Kentucky

After shifting to the point, the Queens native came up huge down the stretch, hitting back-to-back 3-pointers in the final 5:31 to extend a 63-62 lead to 69-64. He finished with 14 points and 4 rebounds.

Ford’s Take: “I think he can be a late first-rounder because of the way he shoots the basketball. He can shoot the basketball. He’s a good athlete. He can score, can even play a little point.”

**Marquis Teague, Fr. G., Kentucky

Of all the Kentucky starters, Teague struggled the most, finishing with 7 points on 3 of 11 shooting and ultimately getting replaced at the point by Lamb.

Ford’s Take: “If there’s a player I wonder a little bit about, it’s Marquis Teague. I don’t worry about him long term, but the maturity to run the point, which is the hardest thing to do in the NBA and he’s struggling to do it as a freshman here and that’s understandable….He would be so much better staying in Kentucky another year and really getting comfortable running the point because if he comes to the NBA with those point skills he may never get off the bench.”

**Harrison Barnes, So. F, North Carolina

After opting to stay on campus for his sophomore season, the 6-8 Barnes flirted with foul trouble and wasn’t able to make a huge impact down the stretch, finishing with 14 points on 5 of 12 shooting and just 2 rebounds.

Still, one veteran NBA scout called him a “top three pick” and the most complete player in college basketball.

**John Henson, Jr. F, North Carolina

The 6-11 Henson was rejected in the finals seconds by Davis, where he would probably get that shot off against almost every other player in America. He tallied 10 points, 8 boards and 3 block and is projected as a lottery pick.

“Davis and Henson have the longest arms in college basketball,” the veteran NBA scout said.

**P.J. Hairston, Fr. G, North Carolina

Despite a sprained left wrist, the 6-5 Hairston knocked down 3 of 4 3-pointers and finished with 11 points. Ford believes he could come out this year.

Ford’s Take: “NBA guys love him because obviously he’s got the body. He can shoot the basketball. He’s got an NBA body. He would be the starting two guard on virtually any team in college basketball. He’s not going to be on North Carolina. But he would be averaging 18 points a game somewhere else….He’s used to being the stud on his team his whole life but now he’s coming off the bench. He’s got a good attitude. He’s playing hard and he’s playing well.”

Source

Comment

• Man I don't understand the Henson love at all.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Kabongo turning it around!

When I last checked the boxscore with 14 mins left in the second half, Kabongo had 0 points (0-1) with 5 assists and 3 turnovers.

Down the stretch it looks like he took over finishing with:

13 points on 6-11 shooting (1/3 3pt)
                  8 assists
                  5 rebs
                  1 stl

Oh and Texas rallied from 11 down to win by 10.

nice

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    When I last checked the boxscore with 14 mins left in the second half, Kabongo had 0 points (0-1) with 5 assists and 3 turnovers.

Down the stretch it looks like he took over finishing with:

13 points on 6-11 shooting (1/3 3pt)

8 assists
                    5 rebs
                    1 stl

Oh and Texas rallied from 11 down to win by 10.

nice
                    It does seem that over the last two games he has started to come around, hitting his shots and getting his team involved. Now that J'Covan Brown has come back to earth a bit, there is more room for team play.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                      It does seem that over the last two games he has started to come around, hitting his shots and getting his team involved. Now that J'Covan Brown has come back to earth a bit, there is more room for team play.
                      I think as Texas played a few games, teams scouting reports obviously became much better. It had been the Brown show with him doing everything at point and shooting guard. They then lost 2 games and it appears Texas is using him as a SG and letting Kabongo be the traditional PG. They have now won 3 straight.

Keep in mind I haven't seen any of the games. I am basing this statement on viewing the boxscores and the significant decline in assists for Brown and the increase in production for Kabongo over the last 3 games (really only 2 for Kabongo though).

Comment

• Paul Silas has said Corey Maggette will be the focal point of the offense. Oh dear. The Raptors really are playing for the 2nd worst record now.

Comment

• That is a lot of limbs

We could put a net between them and play regulation volleyball.

Comment

Paul Silas has said Corey Maggette will be the focal point of the offense. Oh dear. The Raptors really are playing for the 2nd worst record now.
                            Couldn't have said it better myself!
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Paul Silas has said Corey Maggette will be the focal point of the offense. Oh dear. The Raptors really are playing for the 2nd worst record now.
                              Confession: there was a time when I really liked to see him play.

Comment

• I think Charlotte is going to be a surprise team this year.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X