2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I like Barnes. I think he'll have a solid NBA career. Assuming Toronto was in a position to draft him say 3rd/4th overall, I'd like to see them swing a trade with a team who might have 2 draft picks and get Quincy Miller and Kabongo. There are a lot of hypotheticals in that statement so take it with a grain of salt. However, I would most definitely take that deal if it was a possibility (that assumes Miller's knee passes all the medicals as I do think Quincy Miller will be a star).
    I haven't seen Miller play yet, but I agree with the hypothetical strategy. Use Barnes' high stock to our advantage.

Comment

• Nominations for this year's Derrick Williams

2. Who will be the next player to break out and become a national name?

Brennan: Georgetown's Henry Sims. The big man has been fantastic thus far this season. Per KenPom.com, Sims' offensive rating of 126.5 is the third-best in the country among players who use at least 28 percent of their team's possessions. Jason Clark and Hollis Thompson get a lot of attention for the Hoyas, and rightfully so. But Sims, whose passing out of the high post is the key to JT3's Princeton system, may soon get the credit he deserves.

Gasaway: Mike Moser of UNLV. The UCLA transfer may not be on the national radar yet, but with the way he's draining shots and crashing the boards, that will change. And besides, last season proved a Mountain West player can spark quite a national fuss.

Katz: Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He had been the quiet member of the vaunted UK freshman class, not getting as much pub as Anthony Davis or even point guard Marquis Teague. But Kidd-Gilchrist might be the one who has the best chance to become a superstar.

King: Marquette's Darius Johnson-Odom is well-known in the Big East, but the senior guard will work his way into All-American conversations if he continues to play at such a high level. He is averaging 19.9 points and shooting 50.5 percent from the field for the Golden Eagles, who are 8-0 after Tuesday's victory over Washington.

Leung: Haven't heard of Weber State's Damian Lillard yet? Get with it. The national scoring leader is averaging 28.2 points per game and showing no signs of stopping. He's an NBA prospect who has the ability to dominate a game, making the Wildcats the favorites in the Big Sky.

Medcalf: Illinois center Meyers Leonard. The 7-foot-1 sophomore's coming-out party in Saturday's 82-75 win over Gonzaga (9-for-11, 21 points, 6 rebounds) proved that the Illini, not the Wolverines or Badgers, might be Ohio State's biggest threat in the Big Ten.

O'Neil: The truth is, Doug McDermott ought to be a national name already. But when you play for Creighton, these things sometimes take longer than they ought to. The coach's son is the not-so-secret reason for the Bluejays' success, averaging 23.7 points and nine boards. That includes a 25-point outing in his team's monumental comeback at San Diego State.
      Source: ESPN.com

McDermott's stats are unreal. It doesn't look like he plays defense outside of rebounding but his scoring numbers are insane. 24 ppg on 62%fg and 60% 3pt.

Comment

• Quincy miller and kabongo hell yea

Comment

• Terrence Ross

How does he make this look sooooo easy?

Ross was not considered an elite-level recruit coming out of high school. In fact, he wasn’t even the best player on his own team back then—that honor went to Kentucky’s Terrence Jones. But his stature has slowly grown, to the point that NBA scouts are now talking about him as a legitimate lottery prospect.

Spend time around those scouts, as I did at MSG, and you’ll quickly learn what they like about him. “He’s a special athlete,” said one. “Everything comes so easy for him,” another opined. “He’s just scratching the surface of how good he can be,” a third gushed. After plays like this, who can blame them.

Ross didn’t want to discuss any of this as his week in New York came to a close, deflecting questions about his individual performance. “It was great for our program to get this type of exposure,” he told us after the Duke game “but not being able to get a win in either game was heartbreaking for me.”

His final tally in New York: 35 points (16-31 FG), 16 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 turnovers, 2 steals in 65 minutes of action. Excluding his very poor first half against Duke, including two air-balls he attributes to “the bright lights,” he showed his talent pretty clearly.

One of the most physically gifted players in college basketball, Ross is a proficient shooter with NBA range. He is dangerous with his feet set, but has the ability to score in the mid-range as well with a picture perfect mid-range jumper. With his unique combination of size and explosiveness, he creates separation effortlessly, converting on over 50% of his off the dribble pull-ups on the season.

Not just a one dimensional shooter, Ross does a good job finding other ways to contribute to his team, be it with his ability to score in transition, on post-up plays, off cuts or working the offensive glass. He’s a willing passer who likes to make teammates better and can be a real presence on the defensive end and especially on the glass when dialed in.

The only thing holding Ross back from emerging as a true star at the college level are his average ball-handling skills, making it difficult for him from to get into the lane in the half-court at a great rate. While he can beat his man off the dribble in a straight line thanks to his excellent first step, he struggles to use his off hand and only doesn’t know how to operate at different speeds at the moment. In addition, he’s not always strong, physical, or crafty enough to finish around help defense. These are all things he obviously still work on considering he’s just 20 years old.

As pointed out a few days ago, here on Grantland, the supply of shooting guards in the NBA right now is much smaller than the demand. It’s not hard to envision Ross going into a private workout this May and knocking a team’s socks off with his silky smooth athleticism and perimeter shooting ability.
          Source: Jonathan Givony, Grantland.com

The first half versus Duke was really bad but he didn't quit and ended up putting a decent game together.

Comment

• Eh that was nothin. DeMar could do that blind folded

Comment

• I thought Demar didn't need props.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                Eh that was nothin. DeMar could do that blind folded
                That would require a prop.

A 360 alley oop dunk in a game, is nothing? I have a feeling you're going to be extremely disappointed with 99% of the viewing time for Raptor games in that case.

Comment

• that was more of a 180. I can show you a ton of highlights of DeMar doing crazy windmill alley oops and what not. The Raptors are a fun team to watch, and i think i'll enjoy 99% of the viewing time.

Comment

• The more I think of it, the more I feel that if we end up the #3 or #4 pick, we'll trade down and select Kidd-Gilchrist. Not that I'm unhappy about it. I think he will be a VERY solid pick. I like him better than Barnes. Sounds like a Dwayne Casey kind of guy. Coachable, infectious hard worker, very good defensively, explosive, don't have to run plays for him offensively. I just hope we don't reach when we pick him.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      The more I think of it, the more I feel that if we end up the #3 or #4 pick, we'll trade down and select Kidd-Gilchrist. Not that I'm unhappy about it. I think he will be a VERY solid pick. I like him better than Barnes. Sounds like a Dwayne Casey kind of guy. Coachable, infectious hard worker, very good defensively, explosive, don't have to run plays for him offensively. I just hope we don't reach when we pick him.
                      he's not worth it. He's not a franchise talent, if we got 3rd or 4th pick we'd end up with anthony Davis or Barnes which are a lot better than Kidd-Gilchrist IMO and are considered All stars or Franchise players. Personally i want Quincy Miller

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        The more I think of it, the more I feel that if we end up the #3 or #4 pick, we'll trade down and select Kidd-Gilchrist. Not that I'm unhappy about it. I think he will be a VERY solid pick. I like him better than Barnes. Sounds like a Dwayne Casey kind of guy. Coachable, infectious hard worker, very good defensively, explosive, don't have to run plays for him offensively. I just hope we don't reach when we pick him.
                        If DD and Andrea have great seasons and are both 20 ppg scorers, I could see going after K-G - assuming Bargnani is here long term after this year. He is a tough defender, does the dirty work, and so far in 2 nationally televised games has been Kentucky's best player - he does not back down. If trading down also netted another pick (Kabongo?) and a rotational player even better.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          he's not worth it. He's not a franchise talent, if we got 3rd or 4th pick we'd end up with anthony Davis or Barnes which are a lot better than Kidd-Gilchrist IMO and are considered All stars or Franchise players. Personally i want Quincy Miller
                          There's no way Davis lasts to 3 or 4 unless something drastic happens. As for Kidd-Gilchrist, I really don't know what his ceiling is, but I'm not ready to write him off as a dark horse franchise player candidate. He's got all the intangible, he's got the athleticism and his offense is better than most thought it was.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I am hoping the Raptors use their 2012 second round pick to draft Furkan Aldemir from Turkey because I love that Furkan name.

Comment

• Harrison Barnes regressing?

2. Sophomore small forward Harrison Barnes, who was a middle-of-the-pack defender last season, has regressed to the point that he has the worst stop percentage of any rotation player (50.6). He's allowing opponents to shoot 49.0 percent on three-point attempts, and his defensive rebounding percentage has dropped from 12.6 as a freshman to a non-factor-level 7.4. Barnes needs to be a more engaged defender if he plans on leading UNC to a national championship.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ghad8DJI

Comment

• Hoosiers: Movie meets reality

Hoosiers: Movie meets reality

Comment

Working...
                                X