2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post
    dude there was nothing 'meh' about florida. they underachieved this season (regular season), and ended up making a run in the tournament on par with their talent.

you might think boynton and walker are atrocious because it prevents beal from being the sole focus on offense which is what you'd like to see as a fan of his, but they're both really good college players. walker was 2nd team all sec his sophomore and junior seasons, and the only reason he didn't make it this year is because boynton and beal took the guard spots (boynton made it last year too).

so yeah, adding a top five ranked recruit like beal to a group including young, boynton, and walker, coached by donovan, and that is a hella talented group that was ranked exactly eighth in the preseason. which is where they ended up.
    Walker tried to play hero and win the game by himself. A few atrocious long shots at a critical juncture turned the game around. Bad coaching and bad guard play.

Comment

• Miller play well to start
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• MKG is just outstanding 17Pts 2Reb 1Ast 6/7 FG 4/4 FT 3/3 3FG

BryCo make it happen
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          MKG is just outstanding 17Pts 2Reb 1Ast 6/7 FG 4/4 FT 3/3 3FG

BryCo make it happen
          1/1 from three.

But other than that, I agree outstanding.

BryCo is going to have tough decisions with a top 3, and possibly 5, pick.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            1/1 from three.

But other than that, I agree outstanding.

Personally if Anthony Davis is off the board and MKG is on the board its seems pretty simple to me
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think the odds of getting the fourth or fifth pick are quite low...

Here are the tank standings as they currently sit

1) Charlotte 7-39
              2) Washington 11-36
              3) New Orleans 12-36
              4) New Jersey 16-34
              5) Toronto 16-33
              6) Detroit 16-32
              7) Sacramento 17-31
              8) Cleveland 17-28

I could be wrong but I think that Charlotte, Washington, and New Orleans, have the 3 worst records pretty much on lock down. Which means that in order to get the Fourth pick we'd have to out tank the other four teams within a win of us to have the fourth worst record. Also Char-Was-NO would ALL have to have their number called in the lottery for our fourth worst record to return the fourth worst pick.

If 1, or 2, or 3 teams other than Char-Was-NO win the lottery, that bumps us back 1-3 spots. So it's great to think that we've got the fifth worst record so we should focus on the top five draftee's but I think we are MORE likely to get a pick in the 7-11 range than the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick.

Even having the fourth or fifth worst record isn't a sure thing, we've got the same number of wins as Detroit and NJ and only one more win than Sac-town and Cleveland. I think it's pretty safe to say we will end up in the range of the 4th-8th worst record in the league, but if we are at the high end of that range and don't get a lotto pick than we are looking at the 8-11 range. I don't think we'll end up with the 8th worst record but It's not hard to imaging having the 6th worst record and ending up with the 8th pick overall.

Unfortunately, if we don't hit the lottery, I think that the two players we seem keen on selecting, MKG and BEAL will have played themselves off the board by the time we select.

Last edited by ezz_bee; Sun Mar 25, 2012, 04:02 PM.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• In a completely unrelated post... Where are the euro prospects? Last year I believe there were maybe 5 in the first round and 3 in the lottery? (could be wrong and can't be bothered to look it up with shitty African internet.)

In any event, I haven't heard anything about any euro prospects in this draft, I haven't checked any mock drafts (again due to shitty internet connections)

but I'm wondering do any mocks have any euros going in the first round, or even the lottery?
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                  I think the odds of getting the fourth or fifth pick are quite low...

Here are the tank standings as they currently sit

1) Charlotte 7-39
                  2) Washington 11-36
                  3) New Orleans 12-36
                  4) New Jersey 16-34
                  5) Toronto 16-33
                  6) Detroit 16-32
                  7) Sacramento 17-31
                  8) Cleveland 17-28

I could be wrong but I think that Charlotte, Washington, and New Orleans, have the 3 worst records pretty much on lock down. Which means that in order to get the Fourth pick we'd have to out tank the other four teams within a win of us to have the fourth worst record. Also Char-Was-NO would ALL have to have their number called in the lottery for our fourth worst record to return the fourth worst pick.

If 1, or 2, or 3 teams other than Char-Was-NO win the lottery, that bumps us back 1-3 spots. So it's great to think that we've got the fifth worst record so we should focus on the top five draftee's but I think we are MORE likely to get a pick in the 7-11 range than the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick.

Even having the fourth or fifth worst record isn't a sure thing, we've got the same number of wins as Detroit and NJ and only one more win than Sac-town and Cleveland. I think it's pretty safe to say we will end up in the range of the 4th-8th worst record in the league, but if we are at the high end of that range and don't get a lotto pick than we are looking at the 8-11 range. I don't think we'll end up with the 8th worst record but It's not hard to imaging having the 6th worst record and ending up with the 8th pick overall.

Unfortunately, if we don't hit the lottery, I think that the two players we seem keen on selecting, MKG and BEAL will have played themselves off the board by the time we select.

Who knows what will unfold?

Last year the Clippers were 'suppose' to pick 8 and got #1 - which of course went to Cleveland.
                  New Jersey was 'suppose' to pick #6 and got #3 - which of course went to Utah.

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                    In a completely unrelated post... Where are the euro prospects? Last year I believe there were maybe 5 in the first round and 3 in the lottery? (could be wrong and can't be bothered to look it up with shitty African internet.)

In any event, I haven't heard anything about any euro prospects in this draft, I haven't checked any mock drafts (again due to shitty internet connections)

but I'm wondering do any mocks have any euros going in the first round, or even the lottery?
                    Euros tend to be late risers. Expect to see Fournier and Satoransky slip into the first round after the combine if they declare and can play next year.

Comment

• I've been looking at the standings and lets say that the top stay same(even in different orders). MKG would fall to us cause even though his 2 best talent in the draft I don't think he would be the best fit on some
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I'd be upset at drafting around the 10 spot, but if we did and grabbed Terrence Jones I think I'd be OK with it. I realize his stock has fallen quite a bit from a year ago at this point, but I think he's going to be a nice NBA player. And before you jump down my throat, remember I said around the 10 spot. Anyone else think he'd be a nice grab?

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                          I'd be upset at drafting around the 10 spot, but if we did and grabbed Terrence Jones I think I'd be OK with it. I realize his stock has fallen quite a bit from a year ago at this point, but I think he's going to be a nice NBA player. And before you jump down my throat, remember I said around the 10 spot. Anyone else think he'd be a nice grab?
                          If were picking 10 I think we take a chance at PJ3's potential
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Who knows what will unfold?

Last year the Clippers were 'suppose' to pick 8 and got #1 - which of course went to Cleveland.
                            New Jersey was 'suppose' to pick #6 and got #3 - which of course went to Utah.
                            That's kind of my point, if we don't get lucky with a lotto pick (and i hope we do!) there's a good chance that 1 or 2 other teams will luck in, which means that whatever place we land, there's a really good chance we'll be bumped BACK 1 or 2 (and possibly even 3) spots.

Although anything can happen, It seems like most people are focusing on what we would do with a top 5 pick, but I think we should look at who we would take if we select after the top 5, in the 6-10 range.

EDIT: this is also because i can't do any of my own research (my gmail account and Raptorsrepublic are literally, the ONLY two websites i have the patience to load) and i haven't seen a lot of discussion past the top 5 picks. So i don't really even have a good idea of who'd be around at No 8, for instance.
                            Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon Mar 26, 2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• Based on the latest NCAA tournament games, a few random thoughts...

I am officially off of any Q. Miller bandwagon. He might have a lot of potential, but I didn't see much to get excited about in any of his games. In particular, his athleticism seems to be no more than average, perhaps related to his major knee surgery.

PJ3 has some nice moments, but I can't get excited about him. I just don't see him as having the demeanor to become a star. Think about how he plays compared to KG, and then you can project where his ceiling might be in comparison. Attitude and drive matter in the NBA.

Harrison Barnes shows flashes and I won't be surprised if he becomes a very good NBA wing. I just find it hard to project him based on his recent play. I would be luke-warm on his selection by the Raptors.

MKG continues to impress me. If he develops a jumper, I think he could be dynamite in the NBA, and a perfect fit for the Raptors. If nothing else, he will bring a burning intensity to the game.

Anthony Davis will be a great NBA player, but I think it will take a year or three before we get a full read on his potential. He will be very good defensively quickly, except when playing a big and talented post-up player. Offensively, it will take some time for him to become dominant, but I think that he has a lot of skills to make him more than just a finisher.

Terrence Jones really impresses me. It is hard to judge character, which has been the knock on him, but he played hard and smart. I think he is going to be a very effective PF in the league, filling the stat sheet like a good all-around player. I think he would be an upgrade on Johnson or Davis.

Beal is going to be a really solid SG in the NBA. I have a hard time projecting his ceiling, though. There are not many obvious comparatives for me in the NBA. Maybe James Harden, when you think of the completeness of his game and how good he is as a team player.

Sullinger looks like he will become a very reliable NBA scorer.

Robinson is very impressive. The game against UK really showed that he can excel against a top front line. His motor is crazy good, and he looks like he has a good offensive tool kit. I can see why his ranked in the top 3-4 on many draft boards.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                                I'd be upset at drafting around the 10 spot, but if we did and grabbed Terrence Jones I think I'd be OK with it. I realize his stock has fallen quite a bit from a year ago at this point, but I think he's going to be a nice NBA player. And before you jump down my throat, remember I said around the 10 spot. Anyone else think he'd be a nice grab?
                                I think he's going to be good. See above.

Comment

Working...
                                X